Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 09-21-2024, 10:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sage 13 View Post
In talks with different wardens some have said everyone has different thresholds of what they feel is a safe distance. In reading some of the replys here some are just scared and dislike bears/predators so just shoot them.
Or maybe some value their own life more than that of a bear and aren't willing to take the risk. Can't says I blame them
Old 09-21-2024, 11:19 PM

If the COs find him innocent fine, fine. I will accept it. But I listened to that interview and kept having to rewind it trying to find the "attack!" Can someone please help me because I don't hear it; the story he is sharing, as far as I can tell is:

Grizzly came running into an elk call from 80 yards away, then at 40 yards it slowed to a trot looking for the elk it heard. He draws back, steps around a tree and sees the bear moving parallel to him.at 15 yards "in an effort to cut him off," from what I don't know as he still standing still, but any ways the bear is moving slow enough that he gas time to search and set up on.a shooting lane ahead of the bear and once the bear, moving perpendicular according to his own story, he lets the arrow fly. I am still not sure when the bear closed in from turning at 15 yards away to "cut him off" to the less than 3 that he shot it at but even still where is the attack.

A grizzly came into an elk call and couldn't find the elk.without ever knowing hunter was even there. This actually sounds more like a perfectly executed hunt rather than self defence. And before the keyboard warriors jump in, I have been less than 15 yards from.a grizzly. More than once. Have also been less than a truck length from.a cougar. Everyone walked away.I don't care a bear was killed, I don't care he took pictures with it. I would do the same if I had to kill a bear to save my life. But if you are going to kill a bear for doing nothing more than bear things I do care.
Old 09-21-2024, 11:54 PM

So he should have waited for it to attack? Gotcha. That’s what you would have done I bet.
Old 09-22-2024, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urcayuse View Post
So he should have waited for it to attack? Gotcha. That’s what you would have done I bet.
See but it wasn't attacking so where is the "self defense"?

Random dude off the street standing at the end of your driveway doing random dude things like vaping and you shoot him, well that's not self defense either.
Old 09-22-2024, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtShooter View Post

Random dude off the street standing at the end of your driveway doing random dude things like vaping and you shoot him, well that's not self defense either.
Really, go get some air. vaping vs grizz . Come on man .
Old 09-22-2024, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtShooter View Post

Premeditated self defence 😎
I agree this wasn’t an attack but it was too close for comfort.
Old 09-22-2024, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD848 View Post
Really, go get some air. vaping vs grizz . Come on man .
My point is, was it self defense or was it "I pooped my pants and wasn't sure what to do next"

The law will look at it as black and white self defense or not self defense and if the bear didn't attack well.... what was there to defend?

As of now all signs point to poopy pants and marketing opportunity.
Old 09-22-2024, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarychef View Post
Well the law will have to determine what too close for comfort is just like humans defending themselves against other humans the court usually gets to determine what self defense is/was along with a big lawyer bill
Old 09-22-2024, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mulehahn View Post
If the COs find him innocent fine, fine. I will accept it. But I listened to that interview and kept having to rewind it trying to find the "attack!" Can someone please help me because I don't hear it; the story he is sharing, as far as I can tell is:

Grizzly came running into an elk call from 80 yards away, then at 40 yards it slowed to a trot looking for the elk it heard. He draws back, steps around a tree and sees the bear moving parallel to him.at 15 yards "in an effort to cut him off," from what I don't know as he still standing still, but any ways the bear is moving slow enough that he gas time to search and set up on.a shooting lane ahead of the bear and once the bear, moving perpendicular according to his own story, he lets the arrow fly. I am still not sure when the bear closed in from turning at 15 yards away to "cut him off" to the less than 3 that he shot it at but even still where is the attack.

A grizzly came into an elk call and couldn't find the elk.without ever knowing hunter was even there. This actually sounds more like a perfectly executed hunt rather than self defence. And before the keyboard warriors jump in, I have been less than 15 yards from.a grizzly. More than once. Have also been less than a truck length from.a cougar. Everyone walked away.I don't care a bear was killed, I don't care he took pictures with it. I would do the same if I had to kill a bear to save my life. But if you are going to kill a bear for doing nothing more than bear things I do care.

I have to agree

I have called grizzlies in with elk call more than once and never had to even fire a warning shot.

You just have to stand your ground and let the bear figure out that you are not an elk.
It takes balls.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 09-22-2024, 12:40 PM

So what you guys are saying is, if he waited a half a second more he would’ve found out for sure if the grizzly was going to maul him?
Old 09-22-2024, 12:42 PM

I guess you would also have to be confident that the bear wasn’t on a kill at the time. You guys are very brave and clearly big risk takers. I wish I was more like that.
Old 09-22-2024, 12:52 PM

I would like to know if he had bear spray or not.

Because if he did this would have been an excellent time to use it instead of using lethal force.

This was not an attack.
This was an encounter.

I think too many on here are plain scared sh$$less of bears and should stay home for their own safety.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 09-22-2024, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urcayuse View Post
I don't know what I would have done. I do know I have had a grizzly get with 7 yards of me with out me knowing once and though I had a gun no shots were fired. That is the closest I ever beem to a live grizzly but have been close a few other times. I have had a cougar come out to my truck as I was at the back was breaking down my fly fishing gear and I had no gun..Grabbed a knife but felt stupid about it. Again everyone walked away. Personal favorite story is some people yelling bear down at a buddy and I as we walked on a lower trail from back from a lake. We turn around and see a young black bear coming close enough that my buddy smacked it in the head with a fishing rod. Guns were all in camp so was all we had. Never saw the bear again though. Some of the members of the hiking clubs I belong to spend more time in in the outdoors then 95% of the people on this site. They live and breath it. Yet almost none of them even own any firearms or bows and don't live in fear of grizzlies.

Like I said, I have no idea would do in this situation. I wasn't there. But bears do bear things and if you can't handle that stay out of the woods.
Old 09-22-2024, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarychef View Post
I

I totally concure with this. If anyone has ever witnessed a bear change gears from cruise to full out you would understand what too close is.
Choose your "too close"distance and stick with it.
Old 09-22-2024, 05:23 PM

We will never know the truth, it could have been shot at 50yds, for all we know. Could have been mistaken for a black bear, who knows.

He could be telling the truth or he could be making stuff up to cover a screw up. The arrow coming out the side of the bears chest leaves a lot of questions. I'd like to see where it entered. Simply not enough information. Bring on the lie detector..lol.
Old 09-22-2024, 06:28 PM

Had a buddy a few years back shoot a grizzly cause a certain rancher wanted it gone then when it happened he had no clue who my buddy was and my buddy end up turning him self in cause he had some stress over the whole ordeal. Long story short 5 years without hunting was his penalty. He has now served his 5 year penalty and is a happy hunter again so I would think if caught doin something like shooting a bear in self defence then reporting it will probly cost the hunter some years of hunting if the courts see it that way.