Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 09-22-2024, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reddeerhunter View Post
So if a 12 year old girl stalks a buck to 40yds and gets set up on shooting sticks to hold the crossbow(or an 80 yr old man), thats deer is wayyyyy deader than the 100yd shooter sitting out at 60???

You are very misinformed. Please ask around about shot distances. People will say on this forum they would never shoot past 50yds at a game animal but thats to avoid the chastised dot com crowd.

Please just hear me out that 75% of the people I know that are harvesting via compound bow are killing from 60+. To 100yds very efficiently.

So big deal I want my daughter crawling with me across stubble instead of playing on her iphone and snap chat. So we can sneak in to 40 or 50 and get her on the sticks and after 2 hrs anticipation or so she has a chance of getting it done.

I just find it silly. But such is life.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Im all about restricting bow use as well. I agree. Its gotten way over its skis.

-Billy Molls

Last edited by Pathfinder76; 09-22-2024 at 10:31 AM.
Old 09-22-2024, 10:45 AM

Why isn’t it just okay for a kid to be a kid? That’s what a 12 year old is. Everything in this whole world it seems needs to be instant gratification. I don’t understand this line of thinking, but that’s just me.
Old 09-22-2024, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sns2 View Post
Why isn’t it just okay for a kid to be a kid? That’s what a 12 year old is. Everything in this whole world it seems needs to be instant gratification. I don’t understand this line of thinking, but that’s just me.
Unfortunately it’s not the kids that have the issue. It’s the adults they associate with.

-Billy Molls
Old 09-22-2024, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sns2 View Post

So you are against xbow for kids? Wait til they call pull back 40lbs? Cool. Just say that.

Old 09-22-2024, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pathfinder76 View Post
Unfortunately it’s not the kids that have the issue. It’s the adults they associate with.

So I am a bad parent to want my kid to enjoy more season using a different arrow launcher one that a kid can effectively use?

Is that the insinuation?

Old 09-22-2024, 01:39 PM

Quote:
So I am a bad parent to want my kid to enjoy more season using a different arrow launcher one that a kid can effectively use?

Is that the insinuation?

So the kid doesn't enjoy accompanying you, while you hunt? She won't enjoy it, unless she can kill something?
Old 09-22-2024, 01:46 PM

Reddeerhunter,

Rather than backnforth with those here that oppose the idea,
your time would be better spent working on the proposal.

Are you going to do this, for other people's kids (yours will age probably age out before any changes are made), or are you waiting for someone else to do it?

"to identify very rare, scarce or special forms of fish and wildlife outdoor recreation opportunities and to ensure that access to these opportunities continues to be available to all Albertans."
Old 09-22-2024, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
So the kid doesn't enjoy accompanying you, while you hunt? She won't enjoy it, unless she can kill something?

She has been on numerous hunts, killed a bear herself this spring with a crossbow. I dont think its as exciting as the kids harvesting themselves watching. Not even close. Its not entitlement or spoiling kids its just giving them more opportunities until they are able to pull a bow. Heck my 14 yr old killed a bigger buck with his bow than most guys I know will ever take. And it would have been equally as special if he could have done it when he was 12, or maybe even more cuz he was that much younger.

Kid can use a rifle in the rut, why not let them use a crossbow? Thats not bad parenting. I would really love to see the line of church going Doctors you have created. Yikes.
Old 09-22-2024, 01:48 PM

Quote:

Is that the insinuation?

No.

And it doesn’t make me a bad person for saying I don’t agree with it.

-Billy Molls
Old 09-22-2024, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by walking buffalo View Post
Reddeerhunter,

Rather than backnforth with those here that oppose the idea,
your time would be better spent working on the proposal.

Are you going to do this, for other people's kids (yours will age probably age out before any changes are made), or are you waiting for someone else to do it?

I would advocate change for sure, but if the hunting community is dead set against it, not much hope for the city voters is there? I will have grandkids hereafter, and I will most certainly look into voicing where it matters. Step 1 convince AO ers

I love seeing kids harvest, I dont care how they do it either. Ethically law abiding of course.
Old 09-22-2024, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pathfinder76 View Post
No.

And it doesn’t make me a bad person for saying I don’t agree with it.

Unfortunately it’s not the kids that have the issue. It’s the adults they associate with

Well please explain this what you meant. ???
Old 09-22-2024, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Unfortunately it’s not the kids that have the issue. It’s the adults they associate with

Well please explain this what you meant. ???
I meant exactly what I said. We are all guilty of it.

-Billy Molls
Old 09-22-2024, 02:02 PM

Sounds like dad (op) just wants daughter to start stacking bodies earlier than she would otherwise be able to do so.

I don't see a reason why she couldn't accompany you and watch you stick arrows into critters and learn that to hunt the early season you need to be physically and mentally capable.

As for gramps well anyone who's a grampa likely had a lifetime of chances to fling arrows so maybe being a geriatric he could get an actual crossbow license with some kind of ailment or injury.
Old 09-22-2024, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtShooter View Post
Sounds like dad (op) just wants daughter to start stacking bodies earlier than she would otherwise be able to do so.

I don't see a reason why she couldn't accompany you and watch you stick arrows into critters and learn that to hunt the early season you need to be physically and mentally capable.

As for gramps well anyone who's a grampa likely had a lifetime of chances to fling arrows so maybe being a geriatric he could get an actual crossbow license with some kind of ailment or injury.

Alrighty. Thank you all for the feedback and the shenanigans over the years. Stacking bodies? Yahoo.

Stay kind to each other and we will see yall in the field.

Peace and love.

RDH.
Old 09-22-2024, 02:39 PM

Quote:
I would advocate change for sure, but if the hunting community is dead set against it, not much hope for the city voters is there? I will have grandkids hereafter, and I will most certainly look into voicing where it matters. Step 1 convince AO ers

I love seeing kids harvest, I dont care how they do it either. Ethically law abiding of course.

You do have some support, perhaps even a majority of hunters.
Do you really need Chuck to be on board?

Step 1 is not "convince AO".
And you know it.

Add this thread to the hundreds where someone wants to see a change, but....

"to identify very rare, scarce or special forms of fish and wildlife outdoor recreation opportunities and to ensure that access to these opportunities continues to be available to all Albertans."
Old 09-22-2024, 02:46 PM

Quote:
She has been on numerous hunts, killed a bear herself this spring with a crossbow. I dont think its as exciting as the kids harvesting themselves watching. Not even close. Its not entitlement or spoiling kids its just giving them more opportunities until they are able to pull a bow. Heck my 14 yr old killed a bigger buck with his bow than most guys I know will ever take. And it would have been equally as special if he could have done it when he was 12, or maybe even more cuz he was that much younger.

Kid can use a rifle in the rut, why not let them use a crossbow? Thats not bad parenting. I would really love to see the line of church going Doctors you have created. Yikes.
If you think that this has anything to do with going to church or doctors, then it's obvious where the issue is.

Just curious though, what ages would you want to see able to use crossbows in archery season? 12-14? 12-16? If a child is smaller and weaker than normal should they be able to continue until 18? How about smaller weaker adults, should they be allowed to use crossbows for life? Once given the opportunity, to use a crossbow in place of a bow, who will want to give up the crossbow? How do you determine who really is too weak, and who will fake it to keep using a crossbow?
Old 09-22-2024, 02:52 PM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Told you this was about to go off the rails again.

To the OP it’s great you are getting you and yours out enjoying the outdoors and what it has to offer.

Best of luck this upcoming season.

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 09-22-2024, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 58thecat View Post
Told you this was about to go off the rails again.

To the OP it’s great you are getting you and yours out enjoying the outdoors and what it has to offer.

Best of luck this upcoming season.

How is this off the rails? Most of the replies are actually on the topic in question.

-Billy Molls