Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 09-17-2024, 07:13 PM

Default Large wood stove for my tent

I normally only use my 16x20 canvas tent in October hunting but this year we are setting it up the end of October, and probably use it till the end of the year. My little camp chef stove is fine down to about minus 10 but thinking I need a big one..

I looked at the Yukon and Wilderness 5 stoves from the canvas tent shop but I’m not about to pay $250 just for shipping..

What are you guys using and is there any place in the Edmonton area to get a quality stove for a large tent. Not interested in a diesel heater or anything that doesn’t burn wood.
Old 09-17-2024, 07:28 PM

When I got my 12 x 14 wall tent way back when, I went with the 20 inch air tight. Wish I went with the largest one. Takes bigger pieces and burns longer before having to get up and refill. Other than that, love the air tight models.

If I get back into back woods wall tent hunts, I would build one out of a barrel with the kits they sell.

With whatever you choose, go as big as you can. Can borrow my 20 inch air tight if you get to crunch time and don't have one yet.
Old 09-17-2024, 08:26 PM

I know of a guy that used the airtight and it worked extremely well also.

I built one with some help and it works very well also. It needed a few tweaks, and could likely use some fine tuning if I get back out to using it like we used to.

Mine is 16”x16” by 24 long, and it I load it completely full when I go to bed around 11, there is just enough coals in it to get it going when you stoke it up in the morning. I found the other good thing about wall tents when it’s cold, if you have a better sleeping bag than your partner, you don’t have to be the one to get up and make the fire in the morning, lol.
Old 09-17-2024, 09:13 PM

We had a 16 x 16 ft army tent and a good size airtight heater - the amount of wood that ate to keep it warm in the tent was enormous , it had a 10 ft center pole so pretty wasteful of wood .

I would go with a smaller tent again but it depends on the number of people and how easy it is to get dry wood and lots of it.
Old 09-17-2024, 10:08 PM

We usually have 5 to 6 guys in the tent so that’s why I got a 16x20.
Old 09-17-2024, 10:40 PM

The place that used to supply Home Hardware et al shut down. Don't know who makes a good, large air-tight anymore.
If you get stuck and need to borrow one, let me know.
Old 09-17-2024, 11:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokinyotes View Post
We usually have 5 to 6 guys in the tent so that’s why I got a 16x20.
Then just snuggle, you'll be fine

Is wood the only option? If you are looking at buying something new, then now may be the time to consider something different.

ARG

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjemac View Post
It has been scientifically proven that a 308 round will not leave your property -- they essentially fall dead at the fence line. But a 38 round, when fired from a handgun, will of its own accord leave your property and destroy any small schools nearby.
Old 09-17-2024, 11:10 PM

I know you don’t want a diesel heater but in a tent that large a big wood stove is feast or famine unless you have a very good airtight controllable stove. You stack it up to go to bed and everyone is roasting throwing open the sleeping bags and then about 1 or 2 am the fire is nearly out and it’s a game of who can avoid getting up to restart the fire. The guy with the prostate issues is at a distinct disadvantage😀

At least with a diesel stove you get consistent heat all night long. If you can find a good old carburater operated Coleman or other brand diesel space heater they are pretty hard to beat. 2 gallons of fuel will keep things comfy for about 16/20 hrs depending how hot you burn it.

As has been mentioned before the amount of wood needed to maintain a large wood burner for weeks on end is huge.
Old 09-18-2024, 07:31 AM

Quote:
I normally only use my 16x20 canvas tent in October hunting but this year we are setting it up the end of October, and probably use it till the end of the year. My little camp chef stove is fine down to about minus 10 but thinking I need a big one..

I looked at the Yukon and Wilderness 5 stoves from the canvas tent shop but I’m not about to pay $250 just for shipping..

What are you guys using and is there any place in the Edmonton area to get a quality stove for a large tent. Not interested in a diesel heater or anything that doesn’t burn wood.
I have the Wilderness 5 from CTS. I'm not sure what I paid for shipping but total I think I was around $1000 to my door with all the accessories i wanted. Its a great stove that will burn for 7-8 hours over night and has kept us very warm in temps down to -30 and windy.

That being said if i wasnt so in love with having a woodstove I would 100% be spending that $1000 on a diesel stove. For me a huge part of the walltent experience is having the woodstove in there, but the older I get the more I'm leaning to the convenience of just lighting the diesel stove once and relaxing.

If youre ever close to Blackfalds and want to check out the Wilderness 5 in person youre welcome to swing be and have a look.

Hilgy
Old 09-18-2024, 09:05 AM

I wish they still made the old airtights!

Back in they day, I thought of picking up one or two, and never really considered that GWM would stop making them. Now they're getting pretty hard to find.

Old 09-18-2024, 09:07 AM

Used air tights for years in Wall Tents and Cabins. We almost always had coal to put in them for the night, it produces an even heat and will easily hold overnight. This was a very biig benefit at temps below -20.

We were younger then. Now I would just get a diesel heater for the sleeping tent and reserve wood for the kitchen/cook tent.
Old 09-18-2024, 09:24 AM

If you do use a wood stove for that extended amount of time, clean your chimney regularly. By dampening down the stove it can cause excessive creosote build up in the chimney fairly quickly.

We had a very close call with that one year. After about 4 days in camp we had a chimney fire in the middle of the night with flames shooting out of the chimney about 8 ft in the air and the stove was glowing red and the tent filled with thick smoke. It does tend to make you sleep with one eye open after something like that happens.
Old 09-18-2024, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jungleboy View Post
I know you don’t want a diesel heater but in a tent that large a big wood stove is feast or famine unless you have a very good airtight controllable stove. You stack it up to go to bed and everyone is roasting throwing open the sleeping bags and then about 1 or 2 am the fire is nearly out and it’s a game of who can avoid getting up to restart the fire. The guy with the prostate issues is at a distinct disadvantage😀
I howled at this and have lived out this scenario many times. On cold nights I try to hand the other guys beer while I sip a whiskey. That strategy has kept me toasty for some time.

They don't get big by being dumb.
Old 09-18-2024, 10:19 AM

Better be careful guys, a fire is never far away. This only took 5minutes,what's left is only because of my sharp knife

Isaiah 5:8
Old 09-18-2024, 10:24 AM

The problem is not the heater, it is the tent.

We have done - 20 C and the area in the front near the stove is warm. The back wall is frosted, and water carriers against the back wall are frozen solid.

We got hold of a bunch of insulated tarps like the stucco crews use. We wrapped the tarp around the back wall areas and just wired it in place. it makes a huge difference on keeping the heat in on the far end of the tent.

I would be inclined to put one over the back side of the tent on top as well, except any sparks can land on the poly tarp and is a fire hazard.

All the same, if there is a COLD wind blowing on the canvas wall, the poly insulated tarp will keep the walls warm, and those inside, warmer.

Drewski
Old 09-18-2024, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewski Canuck View Post
The problem is not the heater, it is the tent.

We have done - 20 C and the area in the front near the stove is warm. The back wall is frosted, and water carriers against the back wall are frozen solid.

We got hold of a bunch of insulated tarps like the stucco crews use. We wrapped the tarp around the back wall areas and just wired it in place. it makes a huge difference on keeping the heat in on the far end of the tent.

I would be inclined to put one over the back side of the tent on top as well, except any sparks can land on the poly tarp and is a fire hazard.

All the same, if there is a COLD wind blowing on the canvas wall, the poly insulated tarp will keep the walls warm, and those inside, warmer.

Drewski
Drewski

If you put those insulated tarps inside the tent you will find it works a whole bunch better, and no danger of sparks on them.
Old 09-18-2024, 11:19 AM

Dean,

We thought about going inside, but the tarps fluff out about 6 inches and they are really bad for frost and condensation on them.

All the same, an insulated tarp no matter how it is hung will make a big cold tent alot warmer in winter conditions.

No air movement from the front to the back is why the tents get cold.

Drewski
Old 09-18-2024, 01:36 PM

The last16x20 tent I was in had two stove jacks one on each end.

Less room for beds but a lot warmer

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 09-18-2024, 02:48 PM

I like the idea of the diesel heater but I love the sound of the crackling wood. A couple friends of mine have 16 x20 tents and the stove jack is in the Center. Makes a huge difference.
Old 09-18-2024, 06:53 PM

Quote:
I like the idea of the diesel heater but I love the sound of the crackling wood. A couple friends of mine have 16 x20 tents and the stove jack is in the Center. Makes a huge difference.
Like I said above, my love for the fire is the only thing that made me buy the Wilderness 5.
Old 09-18-2024, 10:09 PM

I built a barrel stove, it’s vertical not horizontal and I put in some baffles.
Loaded up it’ll burn at least 6 hours and the baffles stop the sparks.
Nice dry heat that keeps the humidity down.
Old 09-19-2024, 06:05 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.
Default Diesel heaters?

Perhaps looking into one of these or similar.
https://www.deluxewalltents.com/diesel-heaters/
Would be a good consideration.

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 09-19-2024, 06:26 AM

One of these clamped onto the chimney pipe does wonders to keep the heat more even.
https://www.princessauto.com/en/4-bl...t/PA0008901258
Old 09-19-2024, 06:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBintheNorth View Post
One of these clamped onto the chimney pipe does wonders to keep the heat more even.
https://www.princessauto.com/en/4-bl...t/PA0008901258
We have one of these little fans. Works pretty well
Old 09-21-2024, 06:36 PM

Default It's $550 at Canadian Tire, but a cast iron stove that'll hold heat and can be bought locally.

US Stove Company model US1269E

Spruce Grove & Sherwood Park have a couple each, if they're the closest.

(a bit heavy @ 130 lbs assembled)

https://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/u...641923P&loc=df