Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 09-20-2024, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albertadiver View Post

Unfortunately I think I'd be reluctant as well. That said, my group and I did self-report a few years ago about a lost deer we couldn't find but knew was wounded. We really debated it, but in the end made the call. The CO took our verbal statements and was really fair to deal with. A tough debate was had though. In the end, we were glad our consciences were clear and did the lawful thing.

I listened to the interview at this link. (on my mobile device. On computer didn't work for some reason.)

https://m.soundcloud.com/tyler-wold-...social_sharing

I'm not ready just yet to admit I'm wrong, but offer is still there.

When a person decides to throw up stuff for 'the gram' (in other words to seek attention or for commercial gain) the young man is certainly getting the desired attention. That said, he certainly shouldn't expect 100% positive attention in all cases as everyone is entitled to their opinion. Personally, I'm not a fan of monetizing this situation. But that's just my opinion and I'm sure plenty would feel otherwise, and respectfully, that's totally ok.

End of the day, glad nobody was hurt.

Even that interview turned out to be a promotional advertisement...
Ugh....

This kid has done no favors for the Alberta hunting community and Grizzly bear management... quite the opposite....

-------

You reported a wounded deer?
What "lawful thing" was done?
I don't get it.
Definitely for another time....

"to identify very rare, scarce or special forms of fish and wildlife outdoor recreation opportunities and to ensure that access to these opportunities continues to be available to all Albertans."
Old 09-20-2024, 03:12 PM

For the sake of fairness (and because I'm really glad the young guy was not hurt or worse), it's only reasonable to say that if a grizzly that size is that close, in bow range, there was absolutely an imminent threat. I sure wouldn't want to be in that situation. Things happen fast. So, I'm glad it was the bear and not the person on the receiving end. We have lots of bears, not gonna miss that one. F&W will figure it out.

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone
Old 09-20-2024, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by walking buffalo View Post
Even that interview turned out to be a promotional advertisement...
Ugh....

This kid has done no favors for the Alberta hunting community and Grizzly bear management... quite the opposite....
I came across another social media site. First thing they did was throw up the photos with references to his business and arrows etc. They got absolutely roasted for it, and the post was pulled down. (not sure if by mods or by poster)

Then they posted it up again, but less commercially blatant. Then they doubled down by posting again, this time with the radio interview.

That behavior just reinforces my original first impressions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by walking buffalo View Post
You reported a wounded deer?
What "lawful thing" was done?
I don't get it.
Definitely for another time....
Just very briefly, for the sake of disclosure and not meant to sidetrack this thread.... Long story short. There were three of us hunting and we all had our own tags. I had some draws and my one friend was on general tags.

He shot and wounded a doe, but misidentified the deer as a WT when in fact it was a mulie. We tracked it for a few hours, and ended up losing it even after having received landowner permission on another property to track (not to further hunt).

Since it was a misidentified deer likely not to survive, that may be found by someone else, he decided to report himself and face the music if need be. Ended up with a reasonable outcome thankfully.
Old 09-20-2024, 04:17 PM

Promote their company all they want, take one look at it and it's knock off chinesium lol

Agreed that this doesn't help us get a Grizzly hunt back at all. Probably gonna hurt us.
Old 09-20-2024, 04:35 PM

They're just blocking people on IG now lol hmmmm wonder why
Old 09-20-2024, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveyn View Post
OK, I'll be that guy, Has anybody here seen any game animal bigger than a coyote drop in its track after an arrow hit? Judging by the blood on the muzzle thats a lung hit so the bear was most likely not face on, most likely full broadside or quartering away. Arrow looks like a pass through, maybe not, but a pass through from a front on shot not likely. Again most likely full broadside.
Also if this was a charging bear, self defense situation, from 8 steps away the bears momentum would have carried it forward at least 8 steps and it most likely wouldn't have been stone dead on arrival. Just my amateur analysis of the very limited information available from the pictures. More to come I'm sure and I am happy to acknowledge I could be very wrong..

SPOT ON ! Good assessment. Non of us were there so we don't know the circumstances but i'm with you an any arrow stopping a bear in its tracks unless a well placed head shot which is unlikely. If it were circling for whatever reason a shot would present itself and who are we to decide if he over reacted.
Old 09-20-2024, 05:24 PM

Default Grizz Encounter

Last year I was hunting elk and bumped into two sleeping grizzlies at 35 yds in heavy Spruce trees not 8 km from Okotoks. Initially I thought I was looking at two moose but seconds later when the penny drops, I had this feeling i'd just walked into a minefield. I tiptoed to about 65 yards and one bear woke up and stared at me. Moments later the 2nd. I can tell you those 60 seconds of staring at each other were tense as I tried to read the bears. I didn't know if it would be fight or flight. I looked at my bow with 3 arrows in the quiver in one hand, and a can of pepper spray in the other and never felt so under gunned. There is no way i'd come to full draw and aim on even one of them if they were coming in at a charge. Frankly I wasn't even convinced I'd be able to climb high enough in a tree to escape.

Eventually I saw them become agitated and pacing and they turned and went the opposite way. The feeling of relief was profound. I had no idea how tense I was until they left and my muscles and every sinus in my body relaxed. I high tailed out of that bush and informed the landowner whose house was not 700 yards from the woods. There was no way you'd ever expect to encounter not one but TWO grizzly bears within a mere handful of kilometres from a town of 30,000 people ...but I did. A week later a couple and their dog out west were killed by a single grizzly, days after that another couple on the Alberta, Montana border in similar circumstances were attacked and the wife was badly mauled and I never heard if she survived. I count my blessings it was not my time.

This summer I was going to shoot gophers in the fields nearby to that wood and the farmer warned me that a single Grizz was seen there by his brother. I can tell you it put me off hunting that wood weeks later in early Elk Season. I did eventually and harvested a descent 5x6 bull. Its times like this you wish we were allowed to carry a sidearm.
Old 09-20-2024, 05:49 PM

I guess this is the story straight from the horse's mouth;

https://soundcloud.com/tyler-wold-76...social_sharing
Old 09-20-2024, 05:53 PM

Default That was a beautiful looking bear.

I’ve been charged by a younger Grizzly that stopped at seven yards. I did not have a weapon on me and that was too close.

I hope he doesn’t get a fine.
Old 09-20-2024, 06:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lattery1 View Post
why would any grizzly under 20 YOA have any fear of a human.. I guess this one did not realize they were close to extinct LOL
Age doesn't matter, the only thing a big grizzly fears, is a bigger grizzly.

OT- It will be interesting to hear what F&W decides.

“We seem to be getting closer and closer to a situation where nobody is responsible for what they did but we are all responsible for what somebody else did.”- Thomas Sowell
Old 09-20-2024, 06:14 PM

The kid got super lucky and made the perfect shot when it counted. I hopes he profits huge from this. Why not? If he made a YouTube video about it, I bet it would get millions of views and make him a bunch of money. Hopefully he’s got some video footage of the dead bear. He’s very lucky that that bear ran the other way 80 yards instead of deciding to get 10 seconds of revenge.
Old 09-20-2024, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghfalls View Post
The kid got super lucky and made the perfect shot when it counted. I hopes he profits huge from this. Why not? If he made a YouTube video about it, I bet it would get millions of views and make him a bunch of money. Hopefully he’s got some video footage of the dead bear. He’s very lucky that that bear ran the other way 80 yards instead of deciding to get 10 seconds of revenge.
Lol
Old 09-20-2024, 07:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albertadiver View Post
I came across another social media site. First thing they did was throw up the photos with references to his business and arrows etc. They got absolutely roasted for it, and the post was pulled down. (not sure if by mods or by poster)

Then they posted it up again, but less commercially blatant. Then they doubled down by posting again, this time with the radio interview.

That behavior just reinforces my original first impressions.

Just very briefly, for the sake of disclosure and not meant to sidetrack this thread.... Long story short. There were three of us hunting and we all had our own tags. I had some draws and my one friend was on general tags.

He shot and wounded a doe, but misidentified the deer as a WT when in fact it was a mulie. We tracked it for a few hours, and ended up losing it even after having received landowner permission on another property to track (not to further hunt).

Since it was a misidentified deer likely not to survive, that may be found by someone else, he decided to report himself and face the music if need be. Ended up with a reasonable outcome thankfully.
Me too, something very used car salesmanship about it. Greasy marketing, but it's only my opinion.

Thomas Sowell
Old 09-20-2024, 09:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck View Post
Yep. I wasn't there. If F&W call it a good shoot I won't question it. Same if they decide it wasn't. Not my call to make. And glad he wasn't mauled.
This seems to be appropriate and reasonable for the situation.

Everything else just speculation and useless dribble.

BW
Old 09-21-2024, 08:52 AM

I suspect most people would take a picture of a grizzly if they had to shoot one.
So your upset because he is using the pics for his business? That's basically being a capitalist.
Trumps fist bump after being shot.
Grizzly bears are so endangered they are expanding their range. Treaty people can legally shoot grizzlies its only you who can't.
I would much rather a dead bear than a dead young bow hunter. How many grizzly mauling stories have there been in the last years? We should be for each other and not against.
Old 09-21-2024, 09:20 AM

The bear was close enough that the outcome could have been serious, if not fatal. It clearly was hungry, aggressive, and had made up its mind already.
Under these circumstances what the guy did was perfectly legal, no question.

There’s no shortage of these beasts in that area… spend some time down there when they are active and you might see 6 different bears in a single day.

This happened near Grande Prairie, not in Banff National Park…
Old 09-21-2024, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABDUKNUT View Post
The bear was close enough that the outcome could have been serious, if not fatal. It clearly was hungry, aggressive, and had made up its mind already.
Under these circumstances what the guy did was perfectly legal, no question.

There’s no shortage of these beasts in that area… spend some time down there when they are active and you might see 6 different bears in a single day.

This happened near Grande Prairie, not in Banff National Park…
My theory is, You have to draw a mental line, if the bear crosses that he's a hazard.

Isaiah 5:8
Old 09-21-2024, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by W921 View Post
I suspect most people would take a picture of a grizzly if they had to shoot one.
So your upset because he is using the pics for his business? That's basically being a capitalist.
Trumps fist bump after being shot.
Grizzly bears are so endangered they are expanding their range. Treaty people can legally shoot grizzlies its only you who can't.
I would much rather a dead bear than a dead young bow hunter. How many grizzly mauling stories have there been in the last years? We should be for each other and not against.

They aren't endangered.
Old 09-21-2024, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtShooter View Post
They aren't endangered.
I think that he was using sarcasm. I’m surprised you didn’t catch it, he was laying it on pretty thick.
Old 09-21-2024, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by heretohunt View Post
I think that he was using sarcasm. I’m surprised you didn’t catch it, he was laying it on pretty thick.
Some times I miss things
Old 09-21-2024, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtShooter View Post
Some times I miss things
Sorry I should put ( sarcasm) in brackets because it's hard to tell with written word but yes I was being very sarcastic.

What is it a $100,000 fine or a $500000 if you shoot it but Treaty and I guess landowners in near future can shoot them. I feel like hunters like you are getting phased out of game management.
Old 09-21-2024, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by W921 View Post
Sorry I should put ( sarcasm) in brackets because it's hard to tell with written word but yes I was being very sarcastic.

What is it a $100,000 fine or a $500000 if you shoot it but Treaty and I guess landowners in near future can shoot them. I feel like hunters like you are getting phased out of game management.
Of course we are, even the new lottery for grizz you as a landowner may not even get the chance to shoot the grizz on your property...