Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Old 07-29-2024, 11:13 PM

Default Back tension release???

What are some good back tension releases to look at that are in the 1-2 hundred dollar range? Thanks.
Old 07-30-2024, 01:53 PM

You might be hard press to find a good back tension release for sub $200 unless you go used. Carter and Stan make really nice back tension releases. Are you sure you are looking for a true back tension as opposed to a hinge release?
Old 07-30-2024, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brendan's dad View Post
You might be hard press to find a good back tension release for sub $200 unless you go used. Carter and Stan make really nice back tension releases. Are you sure you are looking for a true back tension as opposed to a hinge release?
Ok, well I have the strap on one with the trigger. Just was hearing about these other ones. Which is best, please school me if you like, I’m all ears.
Old 07-30-2024, 09:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irina View Post
Ok, well I have the strap on one with the trigger. Just was hearing about these other ones. Which is best, please school me if you like, I’m all ears.
Strap on with the trigger is commonly referred to as an index release (index finger). The other 3 type are thumb button, hinge, and back tension, with thumb being the most popular followed by hinge and then back tension. They all look similar with the head of the release normally going between your index finger and middle finger. Thumb button is activated by your thumb and the hinge is activated by pulling through your shot and slightly rotating your hand down.

The back tension looks like a thumb release, but the thumb button is actually a safety. Lets say you have a 60lb bow with 80 % let off, That means your holding weight is 12 pounds. As you draw you hold the safety so the release does not fire. As soon as you hit your valley and holding weight you can release the safety as you will probably have the release set to fire at 16-18 lbs of tension (this is set by a set screw). You then increase the tension of pull until the bow fires. Same idea as rifle that surprise release/shot is the best. Really popular with target archers, not used for hunting very often.
Old 07-30-2024, 09:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brendan's dad View Post
Strap on with the trigger is commonly referred to as an index release (index finger). The other 3 type are thumb button, hinge, and back tension, with thumb being the most popular followed by hinge and then back tension. They all look similar with the head of the release normally going between your index finger and middle finger. Thumb button is activated by your thumb and the hinge is activated by pulling through your shot and slightly rotating your hand down.

The back tension looks like a thumb release, but the thumb button is actually a safety. Lets say you have a 60lb bow with 80 % let off, That means your holding weight is 12 pounds. As you draw you hold the safety so the release does not fire. As soon as you hit your valley and holding weight you can release the safety as you will probably have the release set to fire at 16-18 lbs of tension (this is set by a set screw). You then increase the tension of pull until the bow fires. Same idea as rifle that surprise release/shot is the best. Really popular with target archers, not used for hunting very often.
Thank you very much for the info! Maybe I should be looking at the hinge then. Never tried anything except the trigger strap one.
Old 07-31-2024, 06:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irina View Post
Thank you very much for the info! Maybe I should be looking at the hinge then. Never tried anything except the trigger strap one.
Not to further confuse the issue, some companies refer to their hinge model as a back tension release. Scott does this with the Ascent on their website. If you are wanting to try a hinge, the Ascent might be a nice option and a little cheaper than the big brands like Carter, Stan, and Ultraview.
Old 07-31-2024, 06:59 AM

Irina, PM me. I have a No Limit Ringer (activated by ring finger) that I experimented with. Can't shoot it because of the way I anchor. I'm tired of it rattling around in my bow case.

It's yours, just need an address to ship to.

No Limits Ringer

J.