Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 07-22-2024, 04:16 PM

Default Sheep Hunting Help

I am seeking some help regarding hunting sheep in the 400's on over-the-counter tags. (Yes, I am a sucker for pain lol)

To clarify, I am NOT asking for your specific hunting locations. I just don't personally know anyone who can show me the ropes with this type of hunt and am taking the task on solo, so looking for some advice from anyone willing to give it or point me in the right direction.

Long story short, I have taught myself to hunt the last few years and managed to get deer and bears in the freezer but am now looking for the next challenge. Thus far, I have found the WMU's I can legally hunt sheep in without winning the draw lottery, picked up maps, and prioritized the WMU's based on what I was able to find in the online harvest reporting and the aerial ungulate surveys.

My main question would be, outside of simply driving out there and scouting (which I intend on doing at the beginning of August as much as possible given gas prices) how do you guys generally know where to go and how do you know if you will even have access? For example, when asked about hunting spring black bears you will often hear guys say stuff like "Head North and look for fresh grass in cut lines, use old lease roads to get around" etc. is there this type of advice when it comes to sheep and physically getting within range of them and not accidentally in a national park or something? To clarify, I do not have a horse or quad, but I do have a capable 4x4 truck and proper camping gear for the climate, and a high level of fitness when it comes to rucking up the side of a mountain.

Thanks in advance for any help, and apologies to anyone I offended by even asking this question as I have found on this forum there are always a few.

Also, if this question has already been asked on this thread it would be appreciated if you could point me in that direction, I tried to look but the only threads I saw were guys basically asking for exact hunting locations from others or a how-to-guide that involved asking for almost everything other than how to pull the trigger. Again, I am just looking for general advice you might give a buddy who wants to take a crack at hunting sheep and not waiting for the lottery system.
Old 07-22-2024, 04:27 PM

how do you guys generally know where to go and how do you know if you will even have access?

Most sheep hunters and guides started out not knowing where to go. Some wandered like lost Jews in the desert until they found a good area. Some obtained info from an old sheep guide/hunter on his deathbed.

And that is done by parking, packing and heading out on foot. Spend a few days walking and checking your maps. You will find your spot. Use satellite pics to give you a general idea.

But you have to walk, glass and explore.
Old 07-22-2024, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntinstuff View Post
how do you guys generally know where to go and how do you know if you will even have access?

And that is done by parking, packing and heading out on foot. Spend a few days walking and checking your maps. You will find your spot. Use satellite pics to give you a general idea.

But you have to walk, glass and explore.
Thank you! Do you generally use a spotting scope? That is the one piece of gear I don't currently have but that seems pretty important for these higher elevation hunts.
Old 07-22-2024, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RussAlexander21 View Post
Thank you! Do you generally use a spotting scope? That is the one piece of gear I don't currently have but that seems pretty important for these higher elevation hunts.
I somewhat edited my first post...lol

Absolutely! Spotting scopes are a must. Both to scan and to judge horn. You can see a long ways with a spottting scope. It can save you many days of walking
Old 07-22-2024, 04:45 PM

Sounds like I've got some wandering and getting lost to do

Thank you for the advice on the spotting scope, I will start doing some research on which one to pick up for my needs.

Out of curiosity, do you have an opinion on why so few hunters in Alberta seem to target sheep on over-the-counter tags and instead spend their lives complaining about how they'll almost certainly never win the sheep draw? I understand the odds aren't very good when you look at the harvest reports, but some of the WMU's that are open have a half dozen or more sheep pulled out of them every year... Maybe my opinion will change once I spend some time up there and seeing nothing, but isn't that still worth going for rather than waiting for the lottery?

Thanks again
Old 07-22-2024, 04:56 PM

Your opinion will likely change, yes. Seeing sheep is not the problem. Seeing legal ones is more problematic.

-Billy Molls
Old 07-22-2024, 05:06 PM

Got it... Spotting scope definitely seems like a necessity for identification then. So the desire for those lottery sheep tags comes from them being the only WMU's with the relatively high concentrations of legal rams?
Old 07-22-2024, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RussAlexander21 View Post
Sounds like I've got some wandering and getting lost to do

Thank you for the advice on the spotting scope, I will start doing some research on which one to pick up for my needs.

Out of curiosity, do you have an opinion on why so few hunters in Alberta seem to target sheep on over-the-counter tags and instead spend their lives complaining about how they'll almost certainly never win the sheep draw? I understand the odds aren't very good when you look at the harvest reports, but some of the WMU's that are open have a half dozen or more sheep pulled out of them every year... Maybe my opinion will change once I spend some time up there and seeing nothing, but isn't that still worth going for rather than waiting for the lottery?

Thanks again
1. Laziness.

2. Not fit enough

3. Too busy.

4. Laziness

5. No idea where to start

6. Too much work

7. Bugs

8. Laziness
Old 07-22-2024, 07:52 PM

It seems there’s sheep on most mountains in Alberta. As noted, legal ones can be a little more challenging to find. But time in the field will lead to legal rams. Google earth is a good starting point for finding some decent slopes with some food to eat, escape routes, and water access. Then find some trail heads nearby and give it a shot. Maybe you strike gold your first time out, but if not, and you enjoyed the burn of busting through bush and climbing scree slopes, then keep getting out there and you’ll turn them up soon enough.

If you have the time, don’t be afraid to spend a walking in before even turning up a mountain. Some places like the Willmore can require a day or two to get to some real nice country. Obviously make sure you have the capacity to haul out the sheep if you do find one there. Heavy packs make for hard miles.
Old 07-22-2024, 08:17 PM

Your opinion on why thers so few sheep hunters on over the counter tags will likely change onece you see how many people are out hunting sheep.
Old 07-23-2024, 08:25 AM

I got started using the Alberta Mountain Backroad mapbook. It will show you access points and trails. Reference with google earth to see the terrain. With the mapbook you can measure approx distance to the start of sheep country.
Old 07-23-2024, 11:17 AM

Default sheep hunting

Sheep hunting is much like elk hunting in 'foothill' country. You will only succeed with lots of dedication and hard work with good boots. Most of other requirements already mentioned, like scouting, good maps and equipment.
PS Look for tracks and poop.
Old 07-23-2024, 04:05 PM

PM Sent.

Hike a lot and LOOK a lot.
Get that spotting scope and a good tripod.

Best of luck.
Old 07-23-2024, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manning74 View Post
Your opinion on why thers so few sheep hunters on over the counter tags will likely change onece you see how many people are out hunting sheep.
I agree with this. I think a better question is why so many people hunt sheep when the success rate is so low and the chance of killing anything better than a squeaker is near zero.

I plan on having a good hiking/camping/pack trip and seeing a legal ram is a bonus.

Gerry Burnie
Old 07-23-2024, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MKD View Post
PM Sent.

Hike a lot and LOOK a lot.
Get that spotting scope and a good tripod.

Best of luck.
This^^ Spend more time glassing than hiking. Don't know how many times I've glassed from a popular 'viewing' area when I used to hunt sheep in BC and saw legal rams, meanwhile a steady stream of other hunters glass for 5 minutes, see nothing and move on. I've sat for hours glassing, suddenly you see the movement of a head turn, then you see the sheep, then a second and a third...... Unless sheep are out in the wide open most people miss seeing them. You have to spend time taking that boulder patch, brushy rockslide, shaded area, apart looking for a horn tip, that funny looking rock, the out of place white nose or butt patch. Sometimes moving a hundred yards away changes the perspective and you see some that were there the whole time but couldn't be seen from your former position. Expect to see them where you don't expect to see them.

Look for sheep trails and beds, try to figure out where they go to and where they come from. Look for watering holes, little hidden trickles, especially where water is hard to come by.

Google earth is your friend. Zoom in on slide areas, often you can see their trails.
Old 07-24-2024, 06:43 AM

Rams are not like ewes ,dear or moose ,they are not in the same spot every day. This is why it takes a first timer to get one on his own in about 5 years. You need to find as many different drainages as you can and get into each of them every day to find which one they are in for half a day before moving . I have learnt from the best . Once you scouted out 3 or 4 dainages you plan your hunt . To many guys start there hunt on opening day for a week. What you want to do is start your hunt one week before the season open . You will have the area to your self and they are not spooked . once you find them , you follow them keeping a mile between them and you ,until opening morning .Then just as the sun comes up take your your Ram.
The second hardest part is finding some one to go sheep hunting with every year .
I have had five different sheep partners in 5 years , most of them rather just moose or deer hunt after they tried sheep hunting once . I would rather be in the mountains than in a cut line.

Last edited by -JR-; 07-24-2024 at 06:54 AM.
Old 07-24-2024, 07:21 AM

Russ, I am in the same boat after doing the non-trophy sheep hunt last year I am looking to start spending a little more time in the mountains with a ram tag in my pocket and will be doing solo day trips as well this hunting season.

All this is great advice in this forum; as far as locations to hunt, unless you find an old sheep hunter on his death bed willing to share a few spots it all comes down to putting boots on the ground to learn the area and a tone of time behind the glass.

Have been out on a few hikes in the last year and enjoying the solitude that the mountains offer. I have not spotted a ram yet while out exploring but starting to get a better lay of the land and determine where I could physically get a ram out solo; to me there is no point in hiking in 20 km if I cannot pack that ram out. The internet is a great tool to find trail heads to start hiking in on.

Good luck and hopefully a few of us newbie/solo hunters have no Grizzly encounters and maybe a picture or story to tell at the end of the season!

DR
Old 07-24-2024, 10:01 AM

Forgot to mention, "The legal ram you will shoot was born this spring" You will need lots of patients as you are just entering your 5-7 year apprentice training.
Old 07-24-2024, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Grey Wolf View Post
Forgot to mention, "The legal ram you will shoot was born this spring" You will need lots of patients as you are just entering your 5-7 year apprentice training.

So the 14 year old kid that shot a 7 year old ram last year musta began hunting sheep when he was 7?

Or are you telling wives tales?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 07-24-2024, 12:50 PM

I question why I go every year until I get there and remember how much I like hiking a mountain or 2 or 3 every day, drinking the finest water on earth and having no cell service for a handful of days.

Almost always find sheep (and grizzly!) but not yet a legal ram for me.

Funny thing about the get out there early advice, I've been thinking more and more about delaying until October when the Rams are in rut and with the Ewes. You take your chances with the weather and snow though...
Old 07-25-2024, 10:27 AM

I would bet 14 year old kid was guided by father that spent 20+ years hunting sheep, he just pulled trigger.
Old 07-26-2024, 06:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Grey Wolf View Post
I was going to post this as well. It isn't a hard and fast rule - some guys get lucky early on and some guys never get a sheep, but this saying gets it in your mind that it is a real commitment.

Sheep country is beautiful and harsh, get out and enjoy it. Save your legs by having good optics.
Old 07-26-2024, 07:20 PM

Default What a nice read

To the individuals who responded to a very legitimate question from a guy who no clue what he is getting himself into(or so it seemed to me and I could be wrong), thanks. He never asked for any honey holes, you can tell he didnt know that a spotting scope is his best friend but people gave him so much advice and encouragement and it seemed genuine. One of the nicer threads I have ever read on this forum. Cheers to you and best of luck finding those critters. Just be careful of the Grizzlies!!
Old 07-30-2024, 02:23 PM

Really blown away by all the positive comments on this thread. Thank you to everyone who contributed and I will be taking all your advice into consideration! Thanks again.
Russ
Old 07-31-2024, 09:28 AM

This thread is proof that its not always the question that elicits the negtaive responses but HOW you ask the question. The OP was genuine and open to suggestions and tips and took the time to reply to people who offered advice in a kind and appreaitve manner. Good luck chasing those sheep. Its high on my list for the future now that my sons are getting to the age where we could do a trip like this together.
Old 07-31-2024, 11:29 AM

No matter how it all pans out in the end, your journey and the experience you gain will serve you well in the future. Good for you because that is what hunting is about.

Pound a big one!!!!
Old 07-31-2024, 11:36 AM

I would recommend joining the Alberta Wild Sheep Foundation. Go to the banquet next year with your story of miserably searching for sheep this year and you're bound to meet some great people. Volunteer for the organization and put in a bit of time. People will get to know and like you. You'll pickup many ideas of where to be next year to find them

Tags
sheep hunting