Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 06-24-2024, 11:06 PM

And, dammit if the Oilers didn't have a fine season.

Now we can all relax and get ready for hunting season.

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone
Old 06-24-2024, 11:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
Again you want to talk opinion, the FACT is that Florida won, Edmonton lost, so Bobrovsky's name goes on the cup this year, McDavids name doesn't. It's really that simple.
I agree with that.
But for the last time that’s not what we are talking about!
Quit deflecting.
You either don’t know what the trophy Mcdavid won entails.
THATS WHAT THE 2 US ARE TALKING ABOUT.
Or your deflecting.
Mcdavid won that trophy because he had a bigger impact on his team throughout the playoffs than Bob did.
The end. Holy man…… lol
Old 06-24-2024, 11:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talking moose View Post
I agree with that.
But for the last time that’s not what we are talking about!
Quit deflecting.
You either don’t know what the trophy Mcdavid won entails.
THATS WHAT THE 2 US ARE TALKING ABOUT.
Or your deflecting.
Mcdavid won that trophy because he had a bigger impact on his team throughout the playoffs than Bob did.
The end. Holy man…… lol
And McDavid would gladly trade a Conn Smythe for a Stanley cup, as any player would. They would rather win the top award on the scoreboard, than be voted an award. The end.
Old 06-24-2024, 11:23 PM

Quote:
And McDavid would gladly trade a Conn Smythe for a Stanley cup, as any player would. They would rather win the top award on the scoreboard, than be voted an award. The end.
I agree with that.
Nobody disputes that. Not even sure why you bring it up. It’s actually common knowledge from age’s 8 and up.
We were talking about the two players in the running for the con smythe.
But you keep deflecting it to common knowledge statements like the one quoted here.
You are wrong about it but can’t admit it.
Simple as that.
Old 06-24-2024, 11:24 PM

Personally I think they need to change the conn smyth to the team who wins so it goes to the player who was the most valuable player to the winning team. Conner mcdavid deserves the trophy forsure but he doesn’t want it because that’s not the trophy he or the oilers where after. Great season all in all but lessons have bin learned again and at the end of the day one team had to loose and one team wins.
Old 06-25-2024, 12:01 AM

On the Conn Smythe chat (coming from a Flames fan...):

- Bob's save % over the playoffs - 0.906

When JS Giguere won the Conny Smyth in 2003 as the losing goalie, his save % was 0.945. Ridiculous.

- We just watched McDavid put up the 4th most points EVER in the playoffs. And only behind these bums... Gretzky in '85/'88, Lemieux in '91...

If Florida sweeps, then its Barkov or Bob, no doubt. But because the best player on the planet dragged his team to game 7, it's McDavid as Conn Smythe and it's not close. It's a playoff MVP, not final MVP. McDavid was CLEARLY the most valuable player to his team over 4 series when the final goes 7.
Old 06-25-2024, 01:14 AM

I thought it was a solid game. Dragging Oilers feet only really appeared in the last minute and a half or so. But that was a given because the big guns played the last three or so minutes of the game, after playing most of the third period trying to score a goal as well. I kept wondering what the heck Knoblauch was doing keeping them on the ice this long before pulling Skinner out. I mean it was just too obvious. From my couch, it looked like a very poor coaching decision. They never got to have that empty net advantage they should have. I don’t know, but seemed like a really poor strategy to me. Third period should have been played completely differently. But I was on the couch where I belong, lol. With a minute left, most of the players in the league could probably outskate the Oilers that were on the ice. But that reliance on the four forwards was the story of the playoffs for the Oilers, which was discussed previously.

The favourites? In the beginning, at the end of the season, if I recall correctly, it was Carolina that was ranked first, Florida second, and then Dallas tied with Oilers, Rangers, and someone else that I do not recall. There was very little spread between these teams. Then followed Boston, I think, and that is where the spread opened up. So I wouldn’t say that they were the obvious favourites to win the Cup. As the playoffs progressed, Edmonton was favourite more often than other teams, at least judging by the little pop ups and the talking heads.

Conn Smythe? I don’t think it is as straight forward as some suggest. But it sure would be easier if Florida didn’t drop three straight of the last four games. Note that I say Florida and not Bobrovsky. In the 8-1 loss, where Bob let 5 in, from memory, 3 were scored on the man rush, one was a softy, one was a good goal where he was well covered and couldn’t see a thing. In the following game, again 3 or 4 goals were scored on a man rush (out of 5). Game six saw Oilers scoring 3 goals on man rush and 2 empty-netters (for a 5 total). The guy had stopped plenty of these odd man rushes and breakaways to have his name written where it will be. Definitely more than he let in. So I wouldn’t exactly say that he lost any of those games. They were all on the team. The only goal the Oil scored today? You guessed it, another breakaway.

Then a guy can look at the games he played to close the series. He stopped 31 out of 32 shots for a .969 saves percentage to send Tampa golfing. He stopped 22 of 23 shots for a .957 saves percentage against Boston. Rangers were sent to join the aforementioned two teams after he stopped 23 out of 24 shots for a .958 saves percentage. Today he did the same to win the Cup, stopping 23 out of 24 shots. Could Florida end where they did without Bob? Highly unlikely. Could Edmonton end up where they did without Connor? Well, yeah, and that would be not winning the Cup.

This is not to downplay Macdee’s effort, by no means. He was sure the most valuable player on the team and set some records (Oilers did too, like the lowest shots on goal to clinch the series against Dallas). Bouchard has set a record as well, by the way. It just depends how one looks at it, I guess. Like Moose said though, the people who know better have spoken.

Edit: forgot to say… Props to Skinner, the guy did unexpectedly well when it really mattered!
Old 06-25-2024, 04:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoFugger21 View Post

When JS Giguere won the Conny Smyth in 2003 as the losing goalie, his save % was 0.945. Ridiculous.

- We just watched McDavid put up the 4th most points EVER in the playoffs. And only behind these bums... Gretzky in '85/'88, Lemieux in '91...

If Florida sweeps, then its Barkov or Bob, no doubt. But because the best player on the planet dragged his team to game 7, it's McDavid as Conn Smythe and it's not close. It's a playoff MVP, not final MVP. McDavid was CLEARLY the most valuable player to his team over 4 series when the final goes 7.
McDavid isn’t the best player on the planet!!
Playoffs were rigged to go 7 for revenue!
Old 06-25-2024, 06:30 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

And that’s a wrap!!!!

The Panther got the final say!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 06-25-2024, 06:41 AM

Well Oilers….thank you for a great season.

You turned it around, faced great adversity and went right to Stanley Cup final. Proud to be a fan! See you next season!...
Old 06-25-2024, 06:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ram crazy View Post
mcdavid isn’t the best player on the planet!!
head slap.jpg

We were all born ignorant but one must work very hard to remain that way.
Old 06-25-2024, 06:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck View Post
End of the day, two teams fought to get to finals, then played 7 games to see which was the better team. The team that won 4 games lifted the Cup.

That's how it works. Oilers had an amazing season. Panthers won the Cup.

They will have their names engraved and get the rings. Tkachuk and Barkov and Bennett and Bobrovsky and all the rest. They won.

That's how it works.
Agreed.

Looking forward to next season. Only 3 months till puck drop.

BW
Old 06-25-2024, 07:10 AM

That was a great run! Ultimately, a little short. I think KH did a pretty good job of putting a team together that would compete for the Cup. The Henrique acquisition was pretty good. That might have been our best line in the playoffs. We had depth and showed it. Knoblauch did a good job moving pieces around to win games.

The Oil now have to concentrate on other things. Who's the next GM? I think KH retires or maybe takes on another role. Things have been quiet but there have certainly been discussions with other candidates. Maybe the decision has already been made. Some speculate Laurance Gilman because he recently walked away from the Leafs. Free agency is almost here, the draft. Will Leon re-sign? Soon or play it out like Katchuck? Well, if you go by what he said, he loves playing with his buddy.
Old 06-25-2024, 07:20 AM

In all honesty, Skinner was the big surprise of the playoffs, he played way above and beyond his normal to allow Edmonton the chance to even reach the final series. The question is whether he can continue to play as well next year, or if he reverts back to his old mediocre self.
Old 06-25-2024, 07:46 AM

Quote:
Rrrriiiiiggggggggghhhhhhtttttt........
Old 06-25-2024, 08:00 AM

Quote:
Rrrriiiiiggggggggghhhhhhtttttt........
Sydney Crosby is the best all around.
Old 06-25-2024, 08:03 AM

Quote:
Well, I guess if one only watched the last 2 minutes of last night's game, he may come to that conclusion.
Old 06-25-2024, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Sydney Crosby is the best all around.
If Team Canada is being picked tomorrow, McDavid is the first player on the list and it's not close.
Old 06-25-2024, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil McCracken View Post
Well Oilers….thank you for a great season.

You turned it around, faced great adversity and went right to Stanley Cup final. Proud to be a fan! See you next season!...
Agree. Cheds after game show mentioned a quote from Charlie Huddy last night. This run felt more like 84 than 06, I agree. After 06, there was no hope of another right away. Great chance we could be in the final a few more times sooner than later.

Now we see what management does in the next month or 2. A lot of "team" stuff has to happen quick with the draft, free agency, some contract negotiations can start and a GM who's contract expires. GO OILERS GO, what a run.
Old 06-25-2024, 10:26 AM

Every ones talking about Bob's 3 game loses but how many points did McJesus put up in the final 2 games. And I don't think Bob should get it either after those 3 games but what Barkov did in the playoffs against some of the leagues best goal scorers was amazing but would never be considered because he didn't put up points.
Old 06-25-2024, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by macee View Post
Every ones talking about Bob's 3 game loses but how many points did McJesus put up in the final 2 games. And I don't think Bob should get it either after those 3 games but what Barkov did in the playoffs against some of the leagues best goal scorers was amazing but would never be considered because he didn't put up points.
Nobody has put up as many points in the playoffs as McDavid did since 19-freaking-91!!!! What are we talking about here? Lol. Regardless of the final 2 games for McDavid, he put together one of the best individual 4-series playoff performances. Ever.

And FWIW, I think Barkov was ahead of Bob for MVP, even if FLA had swept. Bob's stats weren't spectacular. He did his job. But finished with a 0.906 save % in the playoffs - very pedestrian. Skinner was 0.901 and not even remotely close to being in the MVP talk....
Old 06-25-2024, 10:43 AM

What really stands out to me about last nights game was how much of an advantage it is to have home Ice in game 7 and when a team gets 4 chances to close out a series it most likely will happen because lets be honest they had 4 freaking try’s at it !!! It was the oilers fault that they didnt get a win in the first 3 games of the series and they will learn from that. Not taking anything away from the panthers there a great team with a good coach and I’m happy paul got his cup. I told my buddy I wouldn’t trust skinner till i saw him win a cup and I still stand by my words to that. I think he should learn from this also and come back stronger but as a oilers fan I would be looking into getting a veteran goalie as for last night shows how important it is to have that guy.
Old 06-25-2024, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Nobody has put up as many points in the playoffs as McDavid did since 19-freaking-91!!!! What are we talking about here? Lol. Regardless of the final 2 games for McDavid, he put together one of the best individual 4-series playoff performances. Ever.

And FWIW, I think Barkov was ahead of Bob for MVP, even if FLA had swept. Bob's stats weren't spectacular. He did his job. But finished with a 0.906 save % in the playoffs - very pedestrian. Skinner was 0.901 and not even remotely close to being in the MVP talk....
I have said it for years, individual points stats don't win the Stanley cup. It's a team sport, and it's rare that one or two superstars win their team a Stanley Cup. In fact, quite a few superstars never win the cup, because they just don't have the right team around them.
Old 06-25-2024, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by macee View Post
The way I see it, Bobrovski is good when his team is playing with the lead and are not taking defensive chances. When the Oilers had the lead and the Panthers had to take lots of chances to try and close the gap, then Bobrovski is looking very average.
The Panthers had to be excellent defensively to make Bob look good , just as the Oilers had to with Skinner early in the playoffs. Skinner went from below average before he got pulled to very good after he came back.
I think we saw a glimmer the real Bobrovski in games 4,5 and 6. I’m not saying he is a bad goalie but he proved he isn’t a wall.

First goal won in game seven. Had the Oilers been fortunate enough to get the first goal I believe it would be a different outcome. We’ll never know though so it doesn’t matter. The Panthers won and that’s all that matters.

This is my opinion , I am certain most will disagree.
Old 06-25-2024, 10:58 AM

Isn't that the truth! It's a team win!

Quote:
I have said it for years, individual points stats don't win the Stanley cup. It's a team sport, and it's rare that one or two superstars win their team a Stanley Cup. In fact, quite a few superstars never win the cup, because they just don't have the right team around them.
Old 06-25-2024, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curtsyneil View Post
What really stands out to me about last nights game was how much of an advantage it is to have home Ice in game 7 and when a team gets 4 chances to close out a series it most likely will happen because lets be honest they had 4 freaking try’s at it !!! It was the oilers fault that they didnt get a win in the first 3 games of the series and they will learn from that. Not taking anything away from the panthers there a great team with a good coach and I’m happy paul got his cup. I told my buddy I wouldn’t trust skinner till i saw him win a cup and I still stand by my words to that. I think he should learn from this also and come back stronger but as a oilers fan I would be looking into getting a veteran goalie as for last night shows how important it is to have that guy.
Skinner is the guy and he has nothing to apologies for in last nights game. No team is going to give up a veteran goalie to the Oilers period .
Old 06-25-2024, 11:05 AM

So if you asked bob or Barkov if there ****ed about not winning the conn smythe they would tell you to go **** up a rope. As for Connor winning it is an absolute slap in the face and yeah breaking records and all that good stuff means nothing to him. He’s never bin one to focus on individual achievements ever and yeah he probably thinks it’s Kool on what he did but the Stanley cup is connors focus and it always will be. If your a true fan and no anything about the game or Connors career you would know this. Numbers are just numbers.
Old 06-25-2024, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sooner View Post
Now we see what management does in the next month or 2. A lot of "team" stuff has to happen quick with the draft, free agency, some contract negotiations can start and a GM who's contract expires.
It's going to be interesting for sure. Twelve UFAs/RFAs, do they do anything with Nurse/Campbell, does Draisaitl resign...
Old 06-25-2024, 12:35 PM

Quote:

That pretty much sums it up. Despite him wanting the cup instead this will have meaning to him in the coming weeks, months and years. You could see what it meant to his dad.

-Billy Molls
Old 06-25-2024, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curtsyneil View Post
Personally I think they need to change the conn smyth to the team who wins so it goes to the player who was the most valuable player to the winning team. Conner mcdavid deserves the trophy forsure but he doesn’t want it because that’s not the trophy he or the oilers where after. Great season all in all but lessons have bin learned again and at the end of the day one team had to loose and one team wins.
He either deserves it or he doesn’t. And this isn’t exactly common.

-Billy Molls