Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 06-24-2024, 04:41 PM

Default First time for everything.

Well after many years of fishing this happened today. The barb was buried and it would not pull out. So the only other option was poke it through and cut off the barb. Being by myself in the middle of the lake, it was go time. Kind of looked cool just before the hook came through the skin. I got the barb cut off and it slipped right out. It wasn’t as bad as a guy thinks. Let’s see your pictures of your hook ups.
Old 06-24-2024, 04:47 PM

yikes, been there done that, mine was fly fishing in really windy conditions and my back cast got tangled when i tried to make the forward cast and the wind blew the line so bad where it wrapped all around me and when i tried to pull on the line to find where the fly was my top lip kept moving till i touched my lip and it was blood all over my face i cut the line and ran to my car and had to do the same but my barb was already through so i had to sacrifice one of my favorite flies. it was chilly out and the funny thing is i didn't feel a thing. but the sight of blood got me in a panic lol.
Old 06-24-2024, 05:03 PM

I backed a barbed hook out of my father in law's eyebrow.
That was a little nerve wracking...
Old 06-24-2024, 05:10 PM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Had a pike thrash around last year and the second treble hook buried in two fingers making them one.
Yes I made some noise.
Wife and son laughed as I got the pike unhooked then grabbed the pliers and yanked the treble out.
Hmmmm cotton mouth and light headed with a wee bit of blood but after 30 minutes, a bandaid or two, water and a sammich well it was back at it.
Pinch the dam barbs, they hurt going in but coming out holy crap.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 06-24-2024, 05:54 PM

So just yesterday I caught about a 4lb pike, pulled the hook out and let it go. When I pulled the hook out, just the very tip got lightly stuck in the pad of my middle finger, no biggie I'll let the pike go then deal with the hook... I let the fish go and as it swam off my line got caught in its mouth and it started fighting again... ramming the hook much deeper into my finger and working it around in there for a couple minuets!

The hole was more like a small tear so no problem with the barb getting caught, but unlike other hook injurys I've sufferent, the tip of my finger had a weird bruised/ numb feeling when it was all over. Today I woke up and while the finger no longer hurts, the entire "print" portion of my right middle finger is swollen and purple. All I can think is that the fish worked that point around in there while yanking on it and tore up the muscles a bit.

Last edited by Bushleague; 06-24-2024 at 06:04 PM.
Old 06-24-2024, 07:10 PM

I had it happen twice in one year. Some good vids on YouTube on how to remove them. Won't even feel it if you do it right.
Old 06-24-2024, 07:24 PM

Caught my cousin in the head once. Thick hair so only the point went in, no real damage. Took a while before she would fish beside me again

Got my hand stuck in the gill rakers of a (almost dead) 25 lb pike, tore it all up, had to cut my way out. I enjoyed those fillets a little more than the others.

Had another 7-8 lb one burry the treble into my hand. Just yanked it out quick before he started rolling, good thing because he did.

Now I wear a Kevlar glove every time for handling pike and walleye. No more of that nonsense.

Had a guy come into ER years ago with a treble buried straight into a finger joint. Bunch of surgeons and their fancy tools couldn’t get it out. Eventually one of the old docs got pliers from his truck, it came out, never heard how it healed but it weren’t pretty.
Old 06-24-2024, 08:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnB View Post
I had it happen twice in one year. Some good vids on YouTube on how to remove them. Won't even feel it if you do it right.
It was the weirdest thing, I wasn't felling anything as I was doing it. It was a small sharp hook. I was surprised how easy it was to poke through. It was painful when I was trying to just pull it out.
Old 06-24-2024, 08:21 PM

It happened to me this ice season too. while I was tying a quick strike rig, one hook poke into my right hand thumb and barb was buried. I was alone. I tried to poke it through but too painful, then I used plier to pull it straight out using all my strength. I am still shaking when I saw your pictures.
Old 06-24-2024, 10:12 PM

First off, OUCH that doesn’t look pleasant!! I hooked my self in Manitoba beginning of June with a Len Thompson. Unfortunately was helping my parents move and grabbed a collapsible rod and didn’t see the hook. Caught the pd on my thumb but was no where near the extent of the OP!
Old 06-24-2024, 10:36 PM

I would have passed out. Guaranteed.
Then when I woke up I'd have done the same.
Good on you for being able to do it solo.
Deer blood, fish blood, no problem. My own....lights out. Lol
Old 06-25-2024, 08:14 AM

Here is a good vid

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_tamnAb32MI
Attached Images
File Type: jpg hook in hand.jpg (27.2 KB, 40 views)
Old 06-25-2024, 11:51 AM

Quote:
I just can't watch that. Makes me gag. lol
Old 06-25-2024, 12:09 PM

Default Ouch!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale S View Post
I just can't watch that. Makes me gag. lol
You’re not a pro until you hook yourself.
I’m sure I’ll go pro at some point.

I’ve extracted a couple hooks one I could poke through but the other one was a small surgery because it was against the bone. Neither of them were me thankfully.
Old 06-25-2024, 12:44 PM

About 30 years ago I got a size 10 dry fly stuck in a branch. Gave it a tug and it came straight back and stuck in my upper lip directly below my nose. My fishing partner had to push it through my lip, and cut the barb off. Surprisingly it didn't hurt that much and bled very little. Since that day I have either bought barbless flies or pinch the barbs.

BW
Old 06-25-2024, 01:28 PM

Note to myself: USE BARBLESS HOOKS!!!
Old 06-25-2024, 01:40 PM

I did something similar some years back on Wabamun. We were near Fallis point. Young pike shook as I was trying to free him from a treble. Ended up with one hook completely through one finger and into another so, two fingers stuck together. To add insult to injury, a second hook went into and not quite out of another finger. I wasn't chancing trying to pull them out on the water. After a long ride back to the town launch and some discomfort backing the truck in and winching the boat up on the trailer (we were just a twosome that day), we found a hospital, doctor froze the fingers and he was able to pull them back without any further damage thanks to pinched barbs... I had a picture but did not save it. Definitely more careful now.
Old 06-25-2024, 09:04 PM

Was working at a fly in camp in northern Manitoba one summer many moons ago when a guest and his son headed out to chase pike in the next bay over. About an hour later, the guide came running full right up to the beach, yelling to get the first aid kit.

I headed down along with our cook/first aid attendant to see what was going on. Knife cut? hand chewed up by a big pike?

Nope. His son had buried a large treble hook into the meaty part in the back of the head. It was really buried!! No matter what we tried to do, we could not move the hook, it looked like it was imbedded into the muscle and possibly the skull/bone.

The only option was to call for a plane and fly him to the closest nursing station, which was was in the NWT at the time. So I called for a plane and off he went, along with his son. 5 hours later he returned, with a shaved head (they had partially shaved it, so he got it all done) and 4 stitches. Hook was caught in a tendon/muscle in the back of the head and they had to freeze it and surgically remove it.

Story was is that the son had hit his hat a cast or two and the dad had moved, but so had the son! The funny thing was, according to the guide, was that after "hook up" the dad let out a couple curses, and then apologized as he was a paster for a church in the US. he stuck around for the rest of their trip and caught a lot of fish!

Cheers

SS
Old 06-28-2024, 12:45 PM

Just pulled it out of a pike and my son pulled the rod before I let the hook go.
Thank god for barbless.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg hook.jpg (28.1 KB, 37 views)
Old 06-28-2024, 01:03 PM

Quote:
My fishn bud did the exact same thing when I got hooked at Sylvan a few yrs back.

Spooky to be on the stuck end but did not feel anything.

I have since learned how it works. There is a video on u tube where a dude sticks a big ocean hook in his arm and demonstrates the procedure.
Old 06-28-2024, 01:27 PM

Quote:

That’s how I’ve seen it done too and it’s worked every time I’ve seen it. I’ve seen some eye watering hookups though, through the bone, under the fingernail etc. OP, that sucks but be happy it was such a little hook.

I haven’t had that problem yet myself with anything larger then sabiki rig hooks although I’ve been close. Couple months ago I had a mahi going nuts and the point of the hook skimmed and cut my thigh but it didn’t penetrate. It’s certainly a fear of mine to be hooked up to a fish while it’s going nuts or one that can drag me overboard. One of a few reasons we only troll single hook rigs for marlin. Most fish I’m killing get put to sleep before they come in to prevent this problem, the ones that I have to tag and release that are small enough to lift out of the water are the ones that cause trouble. I’ve also got bolt cutters up front that can cut any of my hooks off.
Old 06-28-2024, 01:30 PM

Something to be said for switching your trebles on your plugs out for circle hooks.

Go to a 4/0 or 5/0 circle hook depending on the size of the plug. You only need two hooks so if there is a third treble, remove the front one and DO NOT REPLACE.

On the plug, you need two circle hooks. put one on the split ring and see which direction it points (Left or Right). Put on the next circle hook in the opposite direction.

This is critical that the two circle hooks point opposite as this balances the plug.

You will have to work very very hard to put a circle hook into your flesh anywhere on your body.

Funny thing is you will hook just as many or more fish, and the hook will not catch deep on a gullet or gill. The hook slides to the lip of the fish and digs in which makes for easy hook removal and no harm to the fish.

One exception to two hooks is a Canadian Wiggler. Ditch both trebles, and run just one circle hook pointing up off the back ring. You cannot snag the hook on a branch or a rock as it is pointing upward.

Drewski
Old 06-29-2024, 12:43 PM

This never used to be a huge problem when we had to fish with barbless hooks.
Old 06-29-2024, 01:03 PM

Had this treble hook sunk into my finger when a pike decided to do the death roll in my hand. Couldn't push it through so I stuck my finger in the snow and had a beer before yanking it back out. That was the day I decided to start pinching my barbs

Sent from my SM-G981W using Tapatalk
Old 06-29-2024, 06:53 PM

Well this thread has made me realize I have a few newer crankbaits that I need to pinch off. All my old ones are done. It’s amazing how many times they just pop out when you net the fish.
I once had a pike in hand that squirmed and I ended up with both hands caught on a Husky Jerk and a 5 lb pike. Luckily I wasn’t alone that day
Old 06-30-2024, 06:38 AM

I had to drive into the Okotoks urgent care center twice to have a fly removed. Embarrassing when your wife is the charge nurse...