Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 06-23-2024, 05:37 PM

Default Red Fox Removal..... ideas?

I have a female Red Fox and 4 Kits living under my SeaCan in my yard. They don't seem bothered by my two Shepherds. Born in the spring and it's my understanding they stay with mom for 7 months...they're gonna be around a while!
Other than lethal force, any suggestions on what I can do to "convince" them to leave?

Old 06-23-2024, 05:54 PM

Why you want them to leave? They killing your cats? They are better at mouse control than anything. Bothering the dogs?
Old 06-23-2024, 07:47 PM

Have you seen the mom. If it’s just the pups I would go to ufa and buy 3 traps or some places even rent them and I would trap them or lure them into the traps. Then take them to a remote place together if possible and let them go. Did this at my buddys place but they looked much younger than the ones you are showing but I’m sure they will go in the trap. She used meat balls to lure them into trap. They will be comfy under that c can and I bet you got more dead things under there than you would even guess. Lol. Buddys shed had goose heads and duck heads and you name it under his shed so mom is killing and bringing them food back forsure. There might even be a smell coming for under the c can.
Old 06-23-2024, 09:42 PM

Radio blasting 24/7 close to their den. They’re old enough that mom can and will relocate them pretty quick with no issue.

They are fantastic at pest control and rarely bother anything else (unless you have cats or chickens). And the adults picked that spot because it’s full of food which means mice. Getting along with the dogs too. So it’s better to evict them into the surrounding area than kill em.
Old 06-23-2024, 10:19 PM

We have a couple of foxes close by too. They will sit and watch my wife garden. They aren't afraid but they also don't come too close or show any aggression or cause any kind of a problem. They are great mousers. We have had resident fox move in on every acreage we have owned. Never had one create any issue of any sort. I could have easily dispatched any and all of them but I quite like watching the friendly little buggers. We have a lot of wildlife locally and that is a big reason I enjoy living in the country.
Old 06-23-2024, 11:07 PM

Why no let nature take its course
Old 06-23-2024, 11:17 PM

They are so cute! Just let them be… Especially if they don’t bother anyone.
Old 06-24-2024, 05:35 AM

I have live trapped and relocated a family of foxes to a friendlier environment.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 06-24-2024, 06:15 AM

Very cute unless you have cats or chickens then they are a real pain. Had one chasing my barn cat. It hit the cat door on the barn so hard it broke it. 22-250 took care of it.
Old 06-24-2024, 06:25 AM

You don't want a fox den in your yard .They are normally full of flees .Once your dog finds it and starts sniffing around it he will be covered in Flees .
My sister had one ,and her little boy decided to check out that big hole in the ditch when he was around 7 years old . Lol Mom knew where he was when he came in ,as he was covered with flees . Same with our dog when we visited a friend that had a den under his shed . Got into the car to drive home and they where jumping off of him .
I would suggest once you get the foxes out, spay the hell out of that hole they are in ,not sure if they can live long not being on an animal but your dog will be its next host then you !
Old 06-24-2024, 06:42 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Got a friend who hangs out here too.
Peeks in the basement windows but has a home elsewhere.
One point and time they tried to be under the shed but with the smell of gas etc come summer they buggered off.
Just make living under your sea can misereable and they will leave in short order.
Radio cranked, you coming and going banging on the floor, walls etc will send them packing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 06-24-2024, 07:17 AM

I really enjoy having foxes around our place. They lay out on the lawn, walk up to us and have had them walk into the house when the door is left open...... No mice or pests around. No worry with full grown cats as they run from them. less than 6 month old cats they will kill. You can see them everyday for a couple years and then one day...gone. Life span is 2 to 3 years in the wild.
Old 06-24-2024, 09:10 AM

Default Fox in the yard

We had some tried to move in. I use the battery powered motion sense air freshners. Lilac seems to remove the fox, skunks from the area. they do not like getting sprayed with air freshner. Pick the air freshners up at Amazon. problem solved fairly quickly.
Old 06-24-2024, 09:36 AM

Foxes never caused me any trouble. They had a den about50 yards from my house. Never bothered my cat. Honestly I would have just got another cat and still kept the foxes.
I had foxes on one side and a bear den about 100 yards on other side of my house.
Sometimes I would accidentally catch a fox in one of my coyote snares. Like others have said. Full of fleas
Old 06-24-2024, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lannie View Post
Life span is 2 to 3 years in the wild.

So 1/4 the lifespan of a rabbit?
Crazy
Old 06-24-2024, 10:22 AM

Back in the day, Kerosene and Coal Oil were very commonly used to get rid of fleas in hair as well as to wash down floors etc to kill the Larvae. I doubt modern tech has improved on those centuries old remedies, so if you have flea infestations you have a cheap option for eradication..
Old 06-24-2024, 06:06 PM

Spray the floors with the ant killer, it contain permethrin and it will kill all fleas. Just make sure there is no cats around, it is deadly for cats but harmless for anything else.
Old 06-24-2024, 06:41 PM

I’d leave it. I’ve had them in the back yard a few times and really enjoyed having them around.
Old 06-24-2024, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by W921 View Post
Foxes never caused me any trouble. They had a den about50 yards from my house. Never bothered my cat. Honestly I would have just got another cat and still kept the foxes.
I had foxes on one side and a bear den about 100 yards on other side of my house.
Sometimes I would accidentally catch a fox in one of my coyote snares. Like others have said. Full of fleas
Could one toss these flea and tick prevention treats around for the foxes to eat?

https://www.amazon.ca/Flea-Tick-Prev...49&sr=8-2&th=1
Old 06-25-2024, 08:51 AM

Default Fox in Yard

You need to be somewhat careful as both Coyotes and Foxes are carrying this tapeworm in the Alberta area.

Echinococcus Multilocularis
A parasitic tapeworm called echinococcus multilocularis (E. multilocularis) can be fatal to humans. Recent studies of coyotes, foxes, and rodents in the province have found a high incidence of infected wild animals in areas across Alberta, including urban off-leash dog parks in Calgary.
Old 06-25-2024, 09:06 AM

Wink Learn from the mistakes of NBC

One method to get rid of a Redd Foxx that is proven to work: let a competing location make a more lucrative offer. Doesn't matter if they rescind the offer after the move, as it's no longer your problem.

“We seem to be getting closer and closer to a situation where nobody is responsible for what they did but we are all responsible for what somebody else did.”- Thomas Sowell
Old 06-25-2024, 09:44 AM

Was always a fan of the foxes around my acreage... We never had rodent problems and never messed with our dogs. Fun little creatures to watch! That said, if you have chickens etc then no good will come of a fox residency.
Bay #6, 1303 44th ave NE
Calgary AB, T2E6L5
bobbybirds@icloud.com
www.urbanexp.ca

Leviticus 23: 4-18: "he that scopeth a lever, or thou allow a scope to lie with a lever as it would lie with a bolt action, shall have created an abomination and shall perish in the fires of Hell forever and ever.....plus GST" - huntinstuff April 07/23
Old 06-25-2024, 11:32 AM

Too many variables with wild animals,get them to move on.

My blog - casting on the waters

fishing regulations and facts on fish handling
Fishing Regulations
Old 06-25-2024, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttankster View Post
I have a female Red Fox and 4 Kits living under my SeaCan in my yard. They don't seem bothered by my two Shepherds. Born in the spring and it's my understanding they stay with mom for 7 months...they're gonna be around a while!
Other than lethal force, any suggestions on what I can do to "convince" them to leave?

They stay with mom for 7 months - but they don't stay in the den for 7 months. They are likely almost done with the den at this point in the year. If you have dogs I would imagine they will be gone sooner than later with no intervention at all.
If it were me - I would enjoy the short time with them and be happy when they move on. But if you must evict them - there are lots of suggestions already posted
Old 06-25-2024, 08:39 PM

After they leave, wreck the den so she can't use it if you don't want her back next year. She will use it again if she had a successful litter, good food supply and wasn't bothered by you or your dogs. Sounds like she was pretty comfortable there.
Old 06-27-2024, 03:05 PM

I find foxes around rural house sites more than any other location. My theory is that the fox feels safe around people and the resident dog. Coyotes often keep their distance from the house site. Coyotes kill foxes. It's the old "big dogs kill smaller dogs".

If you don't have cats or poultry, I'd be tempted to leave them be. If they prey on your cats (especially fixed cats, you've invested money in them), or poultry, I'd use lethal force.