Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 06-22-2024, 10:12 PM

Default Hunting in the far north

Interesting question…. Have any of our members hunted in the far north?
Walrus, seal, musk ox… that kind of thing
Old 06-22-2024, 10:25 PM

I hunted caribou I. A place may of those other critters live.

It was an eye opening experience for me. I had never saw or experienced the Canadian Shield prior to this trip. And the culture of the locals is something that you need to experience. I would fully recommend a trip way north for anyone that can swing it. Likely a once in a lifetime for me. Didn’t go home with the animal that I had always dreamed of either, but was blessed to take a couple animals.

The best part of the entire experience was the absolute fresh arctic char. It was out of this world.
Old 06-22-2024, 10:58 PM

A trip to Alaska or the Yukon would be top of my list. Moose and Caribou.
Old 06-22-2024, 11:01 PM

I should have mentioned… I’m going to be working in resolute bay for a couple months. I’m hoping to take a week extra at the end of my stint. Even if I could accompany some locals on a hunt and watch- that would be cool.

So I’m just scratching around to get a feel for what “might” be available.
Old 06-23-2024, 07:18 PM

I’ve worked in Nunavut for 6 years in multiple places, while I haven’t hunted myself up here I work with a lot of Inuit who do all the time, what kind of questions do you have?
Old 06-24-2024, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slough shark View Post
I’ve worked in Nunavut for 6 years in multiple places, while I haven’t hunted myself up here I work with a lot of Inuit who do all the time, what kind of questions do you have?
Lots of questions but I’m probably not thinking of the right ones.

I’d like to see a whale butchering ….. I’m not sure what time of year that happens
Would like to eat various game species… seal, walrus, whale etc.

I’d really (!) like to accompany someone on a hunting trip, see the land etc.
Old 06-24-2024, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarychef View Post
Lots of questions but I’m probably not thinking of the right ones.

I’d like to see a whale butchering ….. I’m not sure what time of year that happens
Would like to eat various game species… seal, walrus, whale etc.

I’d really (!) like to accompany someone on a hunting trip, see the land etc.
The community that I work closest to (rankin inlet) they hunt the sea animals in the summer usually, one of the guys got a beluga last year. They don’t always have fixed seasons for most of the animals as far as I know, I can ask around to see if they know anyone who can provide a”authentic Inuit experience” getting to try the food I’d imagine would be easy enough although I hear many white guys get fairly sick eating some of the traditional foods.
Old 06-24-2024, 06:54 PM

Wife worked on the north coast for a couple years, went on lots of adventures. Said once the locals get to know you they are very open to sharing their culture, all you have to do is be polite (incredibly important in Inuit culture) and ask questions.

As you might expect, the “laws” are somewhere on paper, and the rules on the ground are what the community decides. As it always has been. Go with that in mind.

Different communities can have very distinct practices/beliefs regarding hunting. In one place they did not hunt muskox, despite there being plenty of them. Another didn’t eat bear. Others have taboos in place regarding what can happen and when, followed to a greater or lesser degree. Whale hunting is often a no-outsiders event due to PETArds, at a minimum its no cameras.
Old 06-24-2024, 09:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3blade View Post
Wife worked on the north coast for a couple years, went on lots of adventures. Said once the locals get to know you they are very open to sharing their culture, all you have to do is be polite (incredibly important in Inuit culture) and ask questions.

As you might expect, the “laws” are somewhere on paper, and the rules on the ground are what the community decides. As it always has been. Go with that in mind.

Different communities can have very distinct practices/beliefs regarding hunting. In one place they did not hunt muskox, despite there being plenty of them. Another didn’t eat bear. Others have taboos in place regarding what can happen and when, followed to a greater or lesser degree. Whale hunting is often a no-outsiders event due to PETArds, at a minimum its no cameras.
Thanks. I was wondering that about the whaling…