Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 06-18-2024, 07:38 PM

Default Summer coyote strategies

I’ve been out a few times in the last week on the farm looking for some dogs. I’m new to coyotes at this time of the year. Normally, I’m hunting coyotes in the fall and winter. All three times, I’ve been set up between 5am and 6am. Always down wind from a ravine where coyotes have been known to den. The weather has been varied, with sunny periods to rain and thunder storms with blustery winds. I’ve been using a lot of pup distress as well as prey distress calling.

But I’ve come up empty.

I’ve neither seen nor heard anything. What’s your strategy for coyotes at this time of the year? What do you prefer, early or late in the day? If you’re calling, what are you using?

Any insights would be helpful. (I already know about moving around.)
Old 06-18-2024, 08:16 PM

Maybe they are educated to not respond to distress calls ... try other sounds that have less intensity. Magpies...ravens ...
Old 06-18-2024, 08:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlbertaAl View Post
Maybe they are educated to not respond to distress calls ... try other sounds that have less intensity. Magpies...ravens ...
I would agree with you on that but I don't know if changing calls will help.
Probably best to go a least a month between calling the same area.
A coyotes greatest weakness is falling for a call and their greatest strength is not falling for it twice.
I've learned the best chances were going to a new location each time and not repeating spots until next season.
Old 06-19-2024, 10:04 AM

I haven’t done a pile of calling this time of year. Maybe three or four times in my life. The times I have though, it’s been when dens were closer to yard sites than folks desired and conflicts were arising between the coyotes and domestic dogs. I’ve always known the approximate location of the active den, set up close to it and gone with young pup sounds on the caller. Such as Den Raid for example. Mix a couple female challenges in there. I’ve had screaming fast responses and right in your lap. May as well leave the rifle at home, I’ve shotgunned every one of them. And I’ve always called those spots mid day. I figure the adult(s) have got the pups fed already and are laying in the shade within ear shot.
Old 06-19-2024, 05:12 PM

Right now can be a real tricky time to call as coyotes are often sticking real close to den sites and pups. With the abundance of small critters around food calls don't seem to work as well. The few times I go out this time of year I'm aiming to trigger territorial responses. Growls, fights, pup distress and ki-yi's are my go to.
Oddly enough this year I am seeing coyotes out and about in the middle of the day so it might be worth trying then.
Besides that see if you can get in close to suspected den sites and call from there and try to trigger a defensive coyote.
Now days checking the foxpro podcast for the latest "what's working this time of year" episode can be a great way to get new info

For my coyote pics @trophy_country_coyotes on instagram

life's too short to fish nymphs
Old 06-22-2024, 01:15 PM

One howl and be patient. Drives em nuts.