Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 06-21-2024, 08:01 PM
Banned

Default salmon..BC

sounds like salmon fish farms are an issue according to
Captain Kirk -- William Shatner news
I can't download . the video is great if someone want's to post ..

He makes a good point ..
Old 06-21-2024, 09:12 PM

They've been a disaster everywhere they've been.
Old 06-21-2024, 10:08 PM

This video ?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j53rSh0OGcE

Isaiah 5:8
Old 06-22-2024, 12:05 AM

I would like to hear from someone who knows more about this.

All I can think of is the planet has to eat and it’s better from this pen than all the wild fish in the rivers, lakes and oceans.

Imagine if McDonald’s sourced their meat from the boreal forest? What would be left for the rest of us “outdoorsmen”?

I think the alternative would be mass extinctions as the world eats out all native species feeding the endless growth of mankind.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 06-22-2024, 07:34 AM

I have followed the salmon farming structure and its effect on wild stocks of salmon for over 20 years. It has proven wildly detrimental to wild stocks. They are usually located at the mouths of big rivers, spawning channels for Salmon. Because of the closed-net nature of these farms Sea Lice and diseases are rampant which then shower down on young salmon fry as they try to make their way to the open ocean.

The Canadian moratorium is in place to change things. Five years ago, with wild salmon sharply declining, the federal government promised a transition from open-net farming. As the clock ticks towards a 2025 deadline, wild salmon advocates worry Ottawa is back-peddling now.

My blog - casting on the waters

fishing regulations and facts on fish handling
Fishing Regulations
Old 06-22-2024, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunkerhunter View Post

All I can think of is the planet has to eat and it’s better from this pen than all the wild fish in the rivers, lakes and oceans.

Imagine if McDonald’s sourced their meat from the boreal forest? What would be left for the rest of us “outdoorsmen”?

I think the alternative would be mass extinctions as the world eats out all native species feeding the endless growth of mankind.

Nothing against salmon farming done cleanly. The industry needs clean up its act and be done in enclosed self contained structures where no waste , antibiotics, parasites and disease, viruses ect, can escape to infect wild stocks. Not just wild salmon are being affected. Open net farms in the ocean are archaic. There are alternatives. It needs to be done in a closed system where salt water is pumped in clean and leaves clean.
Old 06-22-2024, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushrat View Post
Nothing against salmon farming done cleanly. The industry needs clean up its act and be done in enclosed self contained structures where no waste , antibiotics, parasites and disease, viruses ect, can escape to infect wild stocks. Not just wild salmon are being affected. Open net farms in the ocean are archaic. There are alternatives. It needs to be done in a closed system where salt water is pumped in clean and leaves clean.
A significant number are owned by indigenous entities and they are on both sides of the argument, so politics no doubt is playing out as well as economics.

Isaiah 5:8
Old 06-22-2024, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly Adams1 View Post
A significant number are owned by indigenous entities and they are on both sides of the argument, so politics no doubt is playing out as well as economics.
Yep.. the biggest factor being money. When your on the receiving end of the money it changes ones perspective... lol.
Old 06-22-2024, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushrat View Post
Yep.. the biggest factor being money. When your on the receiving end of the money it changes ones perspective... lol.
Old 06-27-2024, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunkerhunter View Post

If they can keep whales and sharks in fish tanks on land, they can raise farmed salmon in tanks on land as well.
Process the contaminated waste water via waste water treatment plants and Bob's yer Uncle.
Until then gttfo of the water in which 5 species of Salmon pass through !!