Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 06-20-2024, 08:13 PM

Default CVA parts and problems

Found a good deal on a muzzleloader for wifeys sask hunt this year, ordered in a NEW CVA wolf v2 from a shop. Gun shows up, taking it apart to clean, pull the firing pin bushing out and thread just falls off. Obviously cross-threaded on installation at the factory.

So I contact the shop, little bit of back and forth, all they will do is the “warranty center” is supposed to send me a new bushing. Even after I told him the receiver may be fubared as well. Two weeks later, nothing, shop says “part on order” but no ETA. Pretty frustrated to say the least. Start googling, yeah both CVA and the warranty center basically don’t give a flying rats behind about Canada. I’ll be lucky if I get it at all. It’s a $2 part on the CVA website. They won’t ship to Canada. Prophet river will import it but it’s over $100 in fees.

And to top it off I get a “please write a review email”…now I know the shop didn’t install it, and there’s not much they can do about the warranty center, but they shipped a non-functional new gun and haven’t fixed it for a month. im holding off naming and reviewing for now but what’s reasonable in this case? IMO they should replace it and ship the broken one back to CVA. The whole “no returns or exchanges” does not cover this…I think.

Range time is limited and now I’m stuck between buying something else or hoping the bushing comes in (in time to actually use it) and then hoping it works.

Or do I go through Mastercard and have it reversed?
Old 06-20-2024, 10:11 PM

Personally, I think that is terrible customer service. It would be the last anything I bought from that store. They deal witha distirbutor take the defective gun back and give you a new one. Return thw defective one the the distrivutor. Given how poor CVAs customer service is, that would be the last CVA product I bought too. Kind of matches what I wrote on the Vergara thread.

There are still lots of reputable retailers, like Prophet River and a few others, that treat clients right, that is who I deal with. Same for manufacturers. With me one strike and you are out. Everyone can have an issue but if they don't stand behind their product 100%, that is the last time. I also tell as many others as possible to keep others from having the same problem. Lots of folks poo poo the advice, and their are always lots that say, my x,y,z product is great. When the product does what is expected, good but when things go wrong is precisely when you get to see how client focused the company actually is.

If it were me, I would be raising hodd with tje retailer and CVA head office. They have a CEO, talk to him. Unfortunately fir you CVA is owned by BPI who also own Bergara, which has attrocious customer service too.
Old 06-21-2024, 09:31 AM

Double check amazon maybe you'll can get something . I got a CVA scope mount from amazon Canada.

I got a cva scout last fall in 350 legend , nice and light , compact. Got a deer down south. I had issues right out of the box chambering rounds , Bass pro would not swap another rifle . I ended up polishing end of barrel and feed ramp with polishing compound . works great now but sucks having to do finishing work on a new rifle.

https://www.amazon.com/CVA-AC1696-20.../dp/B07ND6H2FB
Old 06-21-2024, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 88thunderbird View Post
Double check amazon maybe you'll can get something . I got a CVA scope mount from amazon Canada.

I got a cva scout last fall in 350 legend , nice and light , compact. Got a deer down south. I had issues right out of the box chambering rounds , Bass pro would not swap another rifle . I ended up polishing end of barrel and feed ramp with polishing compound . works great now but sucks having to do finishing work on a new rifle.

https://www.amazon.com/CVA-AC1696-20.../dp/B07ND6H2FB
THANK YOU!!!I just ordered it. No idea why it didn’t come up in my searches. This forum is awesome.

Sucks to have to spend more and I may have someone chase the threads in the receiver, but I still come out ahead.

And yeah if prophet or p&d have what I want, I buy there. Unfortunately that’s just not always the case. That also why I contacted prophet to help, they always do their best.

I’ve had 3 orders wrong so far on this stupid project. Another shop sent me the wrong sabots (coded wrong on the package by the manufacture), and yet another was 2 weeks behind on a parcel that I paid for 2 day shipping (UPS didn’t bother showing up to pick it up)

Dean - thanks - I went and read the bergara thread. I heard reports of pizz poor machining when they first arrived. This will be the absolute last time I have anything to do with BPI
Old 06-21-2024, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3blade View Post
THANK YOU!!!I just ordered it. No idea why it didn’t come up in my searches. This forum is awesome.

Sucks to have to spend more and I may have someone chase the threads in the receiver, but I still come out ahead.

And yeah if prophet or p&d have what I want, I buy there. Unfortunately that’s just not always the case. That also why I contacted prophet to help, they always do their best.

I’ve had 3 orders wrong so far on this stupid project. Another shop sent me the wrong sabots (coded wrong on the package by the manufacture), and yet another was 2 weeks behind on a parcel that I paid for 2 day shipping (UPS didn’t bother showing up to pick it up)

Dean - thanks - I went and read the bergara thread. I heard reports of pizz poor machining when they first arrived. This will be the absolute last time I have anything to do with BPI
If you want and could use, I have a tonne of sabbots. Was robbing the copper from the 290 TEZ barnes bullets for my 450 bushmaster, and have all the blue sabbots left over that I will not use.
If you want to pay for shipping, about $16 from BC you can have them. Probably 200 pcs.

https://muzzle-loaders.com/products/...lets-290-grain
Old 06-21-2024, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallz View Post
If you want and could use, I have a tonne of sabbots. Was robbing the copper from the 290 TEZ barnes bullets for my 450 bushmaster, and have all the blue sabbots left over that I will not use.
If you want to pay for shipping, about $16 from BC you can have them. Probably 200 pcs.

https://muzzle-loaders.com/products/...lets-290-grain
Awesome, I’ll take em

Pm incoming
Old 07-09-2024, 08:04 PM

Well this just keeps getting better. Amazon said it had cleared customs and was in country, delay delay delay, promises promises. Guess what, delivery day comes, get an email that customs never cleared it. It’s not ITAR restricted but said “firearm” on it so some thimbledink at CBSA wet itself and went home with trauma.

Do NOT have anything to do with bergara, CVA or BPI. 7 weeks waiting for a $3 part

I sent off an email demanding a replacement by Friday. Will post the name of the shop if it doesn’t happen.
Old 07-15-2024, 08:27 PM

The saga continues.

The donkey sent me a new bushing screw instead of a new gun (my email wording was very direct, it was supposed to be a new gun). Guess what, it goes 3/4 of the way in and stops. Cheap alloy receiver threads are messed up.

Now demanding a refund, sure as hell don’t want a replacement CVA

Off to find something different from a shop that actually cares about their customers
Old 07-16-2024, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3blade View Post
The saga continues.

The donkey sent me a new bushing screw instead of a new gun (my email wording was very direct, it was supposed to be a new gun). Guess what, it goes 3/4 of the way in and stops. Cheap alloy receiver threads are messed up.

Now demanding a refund, sure as hell don’t want a replacement CVA

Off to find something different from a shop that actually cares about their customers
Unfortunately you are experiencing after sales service!!!. Most products, if everything goes right, are fine. However, when the feces hit the rotary oscillator, that is when you know just how good a company you are dealing with. Wish you all the best getting this resolved. Let us know how you make out.
Old 08-21-2024, 08:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean2 View Post
Unfortunately you are experiencing after sales service!!!. Most products, if everything goes right, are fine. However, when the feces hit the rotary oscillator, that is when you know just how good a company you are dealing with. Wish you all the best getting this resolved. Let us know how you make out.
Return shipping provided by the shop. Took a few weeks to get there. Refund happened today. Hell of a mess but they made it right, eventually.

Ended up buying a knight littlehorn while all this was ongoing, so as not to waste the whole shooting season. It’s well made and fits the wife just perfect. She loves it, shoots it nearly as well as I do, so despite the frustration it worked out for the best.
Old 08-22-2024, 08:22 AM

There are some affordable amazing long rifle builders in the States. I never see nice flintlock for sale in Alberta. In the States New built flintlock are apparently not considered a firearm. Probably a big expensive deal to import.
I know of a bunch of antiques coming up for sale after probate. Even breech loader sharps. The antique flintlock interest me but you can't take em a part in inspect so everything would be a big gamble.
Old 08-22-2024, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by W921 View Post
There are some affordable amazing long rifle builders in the States. I never see nice flintlock for sale in Alberta. In the States New built flintlock are apparently not considered a firearm. Probably a big expensive deal to import.
I know of a bunch of antiques coming up for sale after probate. Even breech loader sharps. The antique flintlock interest me but you can't take em a part in inspect so everything would be a big gamble.
Most shops won’t take second-hand black powders for that reason.

I checked out a beautiful TC high plains sporter that had been sitting around (not mine) swabbed all the dust out of it, looked down the barrel, pitted all to hell. So sad.