Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 04-08-2024, 02:18 PM

Lots of great info here!

We have two windows in our late 80s home that need to be replaced, (probably should be with a full sealed unit) All the rest are ok. But they're old, wood frames etc.

Is it a dumb idea to just replace a few at a time over the course of say a year or two? Obviously it's an easier pill to swallow with regards to cost but would I be paying a huge premium as it isn't as efficient as having them all done at the same time?
Old 04-08-2024, 03:42 PM

Timely thread for us here as well... We still have the original windows from the 90's in our home and they are well past due for replacement.

Called GreenFox but didn't get very far.

From the looks of it, with the grant now expired, and some of the prices that you guys are quoting, I'll have to do some more shopping around.
Old 04-08-2024, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinky Buffalo View Post
Timely thread for us here as well... We still have the original windows from the 90's in our home and they are well past due for replacement.

Called GreenFox but didn't get very far.

From the looks of it, with the grant now expired, and some of the prices that you guys are quoting, I'll have to do some more shopping around.
I can't wrap my head around the cost either. 30 or 40 grand, or more.

We have a two story home with 10 windows, 6 on the bottom (living, dining, kitchen x 2, family, office) and 4 on the top (3 bedrooms and master bath).

My sons bedroom window is 40 x 65 inches..including frame. Are you telling me that if I wanted to replace that 1 window and frame (old wood) that it would be $3000-$4000?
Old 04-08-2024, 09:57 PM

I have a home built in 1999, stucco. Doing everything I can to not have to replace windows cause I doubt the window company is going to be able to color match the stucco and of course any damage to the stucco is my problem not their's.
Old 04-09-2024, 01:55 PM

Thing, I replaced a number of 48x60 sealed units in wood window frames, cost me $400 each, last year.
Old 04-09-2024, 02:15 PM

I knew going in the prices for what I was looking for were going to be high. I did the 5 quote thing.
I have a south facing back yard with an open to above concept great room with 2 big 8 by 6 windows and the top one even has the semi circle. The top window also developed a crack.
House was built in 2002 and at the time were double pane argon. There was no argon in them and probably for some time.
This is the room where the new windows will help in winter heating as well as the AC in summer. It took the crew 1 full day to remove and install these 2 alone.
I did the bedroom big window and main floor front room window to make it 4 as these were the 4 that I saw the most loss in winter.
$ 15, 700 for 4 and again, that was not the most expensive quote!!!!

I made the greener homes grant by a few months so some $ back to me and I know windows and doors are the worst culprits most times in efficiency or lack of it. My wife likes them but not at that price !!!!!
Old 04-09-2024, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Grey Wolf View Post
Thing, I replaced a number of 48x60 sealed units in wood window frames, cost me $400 each, last year.
That seems reasonable but you must have done it yourself?
Old 04-09-2024, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by walker1 View Post
I knew going in the prices for what I was looking for were going to be high. I did the 5 quote thing.
I have a south facing back yard with an open to above concept great room with 2 big 8 by 6 windows and the top one even has the semi circle. The top window also developed a crack.
House was built in 2002 and at the time were double pane argon. There was no argon in them and probably for some time.
This is the room where the new windows will help in winter heating as well as the AC in summer. It took the crew 1 full day to remove and install these 2 alone.
I did the bedroom big window and main floor front room window to make it 4 as these were the 4 that I saw the most loss in winter.
$ 15, 700 for 4 and again, that was not the most expensive quote!!!!

I made the greener homes grant by a few months so some $ back to me and I know windows and doors are the worst culprits most times in efficiency or lack of it. My wife likes them but not at that price !!!!!
$15700 for 4 windows....**** me lol. You said you got 5 quotes, care you share who quoted you and who you ended up going with ?
Old 04-10-2024, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thing View Post
$15700 for 4 windows....**** me lol. You said you got 5 quotes, care you share who quoted you and who you ended up going with ?
I went with Cossins. Lux was 4 grand more. All 4 windows were large and I added 2 openings on the master which cost some bucks.
The others were, Canadian Choice windows and doors, greenfox, and I forget the other.
Old 05-30-2024, 05:51 AM

I had 7 sealed window units replaced yesterday, largest was 45" X 70", smallest 24" X 46", cost $6,600. Original windows were installed in 1989, metal clad wood frames, the wood frame was in perfect condition. It is easy to remove the metal cladding to replace the sealed window unit and replace the metal cladding. Crystal Glass in Sherwood Park did the work.

My perspective on window replacement, lots of inflated pricing out there, lots of BS saying PVC frames are far superior to wood frames and only way to go. Do your research before proceeding. Changing a sealed unit is not a complex job. Most outdoorsmen have the skills to do the job.
Old 06-21-2024, 07:44 AM

So, my update. Went with Lux Windows as the window supplier and they were installed by Repka Installations Inc. out of Spruce Groves. They were actually recommended by one of the competing Window maker. What became VERY clear as I researched this is window quality is important, everyone in the trade as well as many on here said stay WAY clear of Durabuilt and when you read the Google and Homestars reviews, it is really easy to see why. Lots of problems and zero customer support. However, it also became really clear that the quality of the installers was as, or more important, than the Window maker.

These guys provided fair pricing, turned out Lux windows didn't end up being much, maybe 10%, more than the supposed lower cost alternatives like Durabuilt and All Weather. They also provided excellent install services, which meant matching the odd/uncommon sized windows that were already installed.

Dale is the owner, his wife Elaine runs the office, scheduling etc and his son is lead on the install crew. They have been in business over 25 years, do Windows, Siding and Soffits. They were who Lux partnered with when they originally expanded into Edmonton from Calgary. They don't advertise, all business comes word of mouth or referral from Lux. All of their Google ratings are actually registered under Lux's Google reviews.

I would definitely use these guys again.

Repka Installations Inc.
22 Dawson Court
Spruce Grove, AB T7X 0E5
PH: (780) 962-5494 FX: (780) 962-0069
epkainstallations@gmail.com

https://repkainstallations.com/

I want to thanks all the folks on here that provided their experiences and knowledge. Finding window replacement turned out to be far harder than I ever expected it to be. The heads up from you guys kept me from making what could have been a couple of really bad choices.

Last edited by Dean2; 06-21-2024 at 07:57 AM.
Old 06-21-2024, 08:51 AM

Lux do make nice windows, kinda the Cadillac's of windows. Did 11 windows and a set of french doors last year. 4 more windows done last weekend with another 4 to go that are already sitting here till I have the time. I'll have to go back and look at the price for 19 windows but it honestly wasn't that bad at all. We have done all the measuring, ordering and installation ourselves to that of course saves a ton of money. GF's son is a glazier so that helps