Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 06-18-2024, 05:27 PM

Default larger than 10hp...boat reg question

Hey guys,

I'm getting rid of my 9.9 and increasing my outboard size on my 12 ft tinner. I now need to register the boat..correct?

I've been doing research online and even contacted a registry. I'm getting conflicting information. What do I need to do (in laymans terms lol)? The boat does have an AB number on the hull.
Old 06-18-2024, 05:39 PM

Vessel registration
You need to register your vessel if:

you are going to use your vessel commercially and it’s powered by motors totalling 7.5 kW (10 horsepower) or more

It’s easy to register used to be free last time I did mine it was $10 need to take a picture of the whole side of the boat, this is subject to change at the Feds whim
Old 06-18-2024, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thing View Post
Hey guys,

I'm getting rid of my 9.9 and increasing my outboard size on my 12 ft tinner. I now need to register the boat..correct?

I've been doing research online and even contacted a registry. I'm getting conflicting information. What do I need to do (in laymans terms lol)? The boat does have an AB number on the hull.
I think if the boat is registered then you’re good but I’ve been wrong before. Once back in 1980 If I remember right.
Old 06-18-2024, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jungleboy View Post
I think if the boat is registered then you’re good but I’ve been wrong before. Once back in 1980 If I remember right.
A non commercial boat is not registered it is licensed, it also needs to be renewed every 10 yrs I believe.

https://tc.canada.ca/en/marine-trans...ft-licence-pcl

Thomas Sowell
Old 06-18-2024, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jungleboy View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by pikergolf View Post
A non commercial boat is not registered it is licensed, it also needs to be renewed every 10 yrs I believe.

https://tc.canada.ca/en/marine-trans...ft-licence-pcl
There goes your 10yr streak lol
WDF
Old 06-18-2024, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Who Da Fisherman View Post
There goes your 10yr streak lol
WDF
43yrs shoulda kept my mouth shut.
Old 06-19-2024, 12:54 PM

Ahhh, so it needs to be licensed....not registered.

I just checked, it is expired. I'll renew. Appreciate the help and provided links.

Last edited by thing; 06-19-2024 at 01:00 PM.
Old 06-20-2024, 11:33 AM

Yup, turnaround time is quick. Just did mine a month ago.
Old 06-20-2024, 12:52 PM

Default Numbers

Quote:
Originally Posted by thing View Post
Ahhh, so it needs to be licensed....not registered.

I just checked, it is expired. I'll renew. Appreciate the help and provided links.

Did you have to get new numbers for the side?

I had my 15 FT Lund all registered years ago but it's expired and I heard if you let it expire you need to scrape off the number and get a new one.

Looper
Old 06-20-2024, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Looper View Post

I had my 15 FT Lund all registered years ago but it's expired and I heard if you let it expire you need to scrape off the number and get a new one.

Looper
No, that's not the case. My newest boat's registration was expired as well. Just needed to send in the Hull Identification Number, Model number, the Canadian vessel specification tag (the one that shows capacity etc.) and a photo from the side, showing the number. I think I supplied the bill of sale as well. I don't recall if there was anything else required, but the the online form lists it all pretty well: https://tc.canada.ca/en/marine-trans...need-you-start

Last edited by Stinky Buffalo; 06-20-2024 at 04:13 PM.
Old 06-20-2024, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Looper View Post

Looper
I didn't get it done because I didn't have a few of the numbers they required (the ones Stinky mentioned above)

I didn't get that impression though. My number was in the system. I'll fill it out within the next day or two and let you know how I made out.

Maybe your hull number wasn't found in the system, that is why you needed a new one??
Old 06-20-2024, 02:23 PM

Just a note - The hull number is different than the registration number. The hull number is typically stamped on a plate that's affixed to the hull somewhere. The license number is the number that is represented by the sticker numbers that you put on either side of the bow. The serial number is a separate number as well, usually stamped on the same plate as the hull number.

This link has a guide on where to find the hull number (or HIN/HID): https://www.boatsafe.com/hull-id-numbers/

I once had an old boat, I don't recall if I had all of the information for that one, or even if the license number was in the system. But sending in all of the details that I found was enough to get it licensed properly.

Last edited by Stinky Buffalo; 06-20-2024 at 04:20 PM.
Old 06-20-2024, 03:49 PM

Its free to register your haul. But it will cost you to register your trailer.And you will need a license to drive the boat . And then you will need a license to fish and then you need a license to keep a fish . And you need to pay to park your truck and trailer when you are in your boat ..
Old 06-21-2024, 07:37 AM

Easy to change it to 15 HP. Kit is a carb a couple needle valves & not sure what else. I have a parts list in the shop. Likely a Prop ? Keep the engine cover that says 9.9 HP.