Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 06-20-2024, 09:41 AM

I bought my Honda Rancher 400 about 13 years ago, it's been a very good machine. I use it on the farm regulalry and have put a lot of miles on it. It's an 07 model and only had a few hundred km on it when I bought it, I've put thousands on it with no major repairs.

My neighbour and friends a few miles away had a Honda Foreman with over 57,000 kms last time I looked at the clock. It had seen hard abuse on their ranch and survived 4 teenage boys.

Honda reliabillity is wonderful. They sure don't match the power and performance of my neighbours CanAm machines though.

Anybody who thinks that chasing and sorting cows with quads is "light duty" has never done it.

haha
Old 06-20-2024, 02:28 PM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jungleboy View Post
Bought a spare belt for every machine I ever had that was belt driven. The only time I ever replaced the belt was an 05 Yamaha Kodiak 400. I was doing a clutch kit on it at about 4000km and replaced the belt on it, even though the original belt was still within spec.

Read some of the Honda forums and you would think a belt change was a weekly occurrence unless you ride a Honda. It’s just not an issue.

I’ve owned 11 different CVT driven atvs over the years. I blown motors ,had electrical issues ,fuel issues ,blown tires,broken chains and stripped sprockets, even had the front tie rod fall apart on the trail on an Arctic Cat. Belts were never a problem.

The belts have come a long way for reliability which is a plus and like
You mentioned carrying a spare which is east to do and store.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 06-20-2024, 04:29 PM

Twice have towed out machines with broken belts . . .it's just the way I want to spend my hunting day. Phhhhht!
Old 06-20-2024, 07:57 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Head Lice View Post
Twice have towed out machines with broken belts . . .it's just the way I want to spend my hunting day. Phhhhht!
I believe you !
but what's the story with the avatar and name ? LOL
Old 06-20-2024, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBark View Post
Had been Polaris for ever.
I did have a new 2004 Honda 400 rancher for a while, nice quad but gave it to my son in 2012.

I took the plunge to try something a little bit different a few weeks ago and bought a 2024 Can-Am outlander 850 XT.

Haven’t rode it yet but next week I’ll have it up on the property to see what it’s made out of.

TBark
Funny, I am in exactly the same situation. I picked up an 850 XT Max a few weeks ago. Sitting in the trailer waiting for me to go.
Old 06-22-2024, 10:55 AM

The biggest thing with can ams specially the big motor ones is listen to the dealerships advice on riding in low and high range. Always on the trails be in low range not high you will smoke the belts. When crawling up your trailer ramp be in low range not high or else you smoke the belt. Don’t swamp motor or you will have belt slippage on variable grade trying to climb hills etc. do this and you will enjoy your machine and have no problems with belts or complaining about getting dragged out of the bush.
Old 06-22-2024, 12:20 PM

I think the days of having to stress about your belt getting wet is a thing of the past. Just about all the big snorkeled machines are belt drive for the most part, and the bigger concern is having all your vents up high.

Really depends on what trail speed is, and whether you're going slow enough to disengage the clutch.

I carry a spare belt, on the quad, and sled. And a decent little socket set, so I can actually change it on the quad. Those little tool rolls are junk, and might not get the cover off.

Survivor of the dread covid
Pureblood!
Old 06-22-2024, 01:33 PM

Good info on Can-Am tks,

Regarding the new Outlander XT 850,
Dealer also said to use premium fuel,
Any thoughts? Is this really required?

TBark
Old 06-22-2024, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Good info on Can-Am tks,

TBark

Right from can am.

https://can-am.brp.com/off-road/ca/e...s-atv-ssv.html

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 06-22-2024, 06:02 PM

Never had a belt issue on any machine I’ve owned. That being said Honda reliability cannot be argued. Also, Honda has locking front diff on almost all the machines now.
Old 06-22-2024, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Good info on Can-Am tks,

TBark
I have a 2013 outlander 1000 and I run regular or premium. If it says run premium then run premium sometimes you don’t have a choice and regular is all there is so I wouldn’t stress it to much. Note to self with the new 850 after your 50hr or 300 breakin service to reset valves is goin to cost you another 600 bucks or even more now so just a heads up unless your special and they do it for free.
Old 06-22-2024, 09:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curtsyneil View Post
I have a 2013 outlander 1000 and I run regular or premium. If it says run premium then run premium sometimes you don’t have a choice and regular is all there is so I wouldn’t stress it to much. Note to self with the new 850 after your 50hr or 300 breakin service to reset valves is goin to cost you another 600 bucks or even more now so just a heads up unless your special and they do it for free.
Great heads up, if you are buying negotiate that first service and valve adjustment into the deal. I have always done my own valve lash but some of these latter machines are a real pain in the ass to set valve clearance on. Have to take half the quad apart to get at the valves.
Old 06-23-2024, 03:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jungleboy View Post
You will get the same answer as always.

Buy a (insert brand here) because that’s what I have and I always have to pull (insert brand here) out of the mud or bush or skeg when we go riding.

That said. I currently have a Honda Pioneer 500 and am very happy with it.
^^^This 100%

Want reliability, Honda and Yammi, the best quality out there, full stop, period. No debate needed.

Want raw power with lots of attitude, Can-Am

The first part is just a fact, second one is my opinion and a little open to debate, but I won't cause I just can't be bothered.

OP, good luck and enjoy your new purchase whatever machine you go with.

Quads are insanely fun.

I'll just leave this here for extra curricular reading.

https://www.google.ca/url?q=https://...6BYTD2APAU0B9P
Old 06-23-2024, 04:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blazer 1 View Post
I agree... Grizzly all the way! I've had all the major brands over the years... Yamaha makes a really good reliable machine!
Facts! I'm a little partial to Honda as I still rock an '03 CR250R 2 smoker. Absolutely LOVE that bike, and ANY Honda product, they just make the best EVERYTHING, but Yammi Is right there with them too. Either are money well spent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trochu View Post
Well, I don't know what the best is, but I do know I've had a Polaris, and my grandpa had a Polaris, and wouldn't recommend them based on that.
See the link in my reply above. And I love my early 2000's Polaris 800 sleds, absolutely GREAT sleds and bomb proof, but their quads, YIKES!
Old 06-23-2024, 05:26 AM

My first quad back in the early 90's was a Suzuki king quad, and it was a great machine, sold it in 1998 when we moved overseas it had just over 4,000 km on it then, talked to the guy when we moved back in 2004 and he said it was still going strong. I bought a 2004 Yamaha Kodiak rode it about 3,000 km and sold it to my nephew in 2008 he has 2 teenage boy's they rode the crap out of it and it's still going up over 12,000 km on it now. In 2008 I bought a grizzly 700 and rode it 6 years, just over 5,000 km bullet proof, my nephew bought that from me also and it's still going strong now close to 10k on it. I have a 2014 Yamaha Viking 700 EPS S x S now and love, Yamaha for me has been great.

We were all born ignorant but one must work very hard to remain that way.
Old 06-23-2024, 07:39 AM

First quad was a brand new 1987 Suzuki Quadsport 230. Rode it hard till I sold it in 2002. Only thing I ever did other than oil changes and chain tensioning/lubrication was adjust the rear brakes.

Had 2 Yamaha Big Bear 350’s. A u-joint on one and a starter rebuild on the other. No other issues in 5000 combined kms.

1993 Kawasaki Bayou 300 4x4. Was my buddies that I got in 2013. Guess well over 10,000 kms on it. Couple of u-joints and wheel bearings. Probably still be riding it today if someone else did not think they needed it more than me in 2015.

2004 Polaris Sportsman 700 EFI. Bought it in 2015 from a buddy with 2000 kms on it. Was fine for first 3000 kms then it lived up to the legendary Polaris reliability. Wires rubbing on the frame, wheel bearings, u-joints, speed sensors, drive shafts etc. Final straw was leaving me stranded. Sold it cheap. Will say, first quad I have ever ridden with IRS and wow, this thing was smooth plus first belt drive which worked flawless till I sold it.

While waiting for buddy to come rescue me, went on line and bought a brand new 2019 Suzuki KingQuad 750. Been bulletproof so far. Other than oil changes I have had to do absolutely nothing to it. 3500kms and climbing. First quad with power steering, game changer.

Best quad in my opinion, all things considered, has been Suzuki, the inventors of the quad.

Last edited by JohninAB; 06-23-2024 at 07:53 AM.
Old 06-23-2024, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohninAB View Post
First quad was a brand new 1987 Suzuki Quadsport 230. Rode it hard till I sold it in 2002. Only thing I ever did other than oil changes and chain tensioning/lubrication was adjust the rear brakes.

Had 2 Yamaha Big Bear 350’s. A u-joint on one and a starter rebuild on the other. No other issues in 5000 combined kms.

1993 Kawasaki Bayou 300 4x4. Was my buddies that I got in 2013. Guess well over 10,000 kms on it. Couple of u-joints and wheel bearings. Probably still be riding it today if someone else did not think they needed it more than me in 2015.

2004 Polaris Sportsman 700 EFI. Bought it in 2015 from a buddy with 2000 kms on it. Was fine for first 3000 kms then it lived up to the legendary Polaris reliability. Wires rubbing on the frame, wheel bearings, u-joints, speed sensors, drive shafts etc. Final straw was leaving me stranded. Sold it cheap. Will say, first quad I have ever ridden with IRS and wow, this thing was smooth plus first belt drive which worked flawless till I sold it.

While waiting for buddy to come rescue me, went on line and bought a brand new 2019 Suzuki KingQuad 750. Been bulletproof so far. Other than oil changes I have had to do absolutely nothing to it. 3500kms and climbing. First quad with power steering, game changer.

Best quad in my opinion, all things considered, has been Suzuki, the inventors of the quad.
All my buddys who have owned Suzukis said the king quad is great other than the rads get plugged up from dirty water and mud because of where they are located. Possibly the mud in the area where they were used the most. Not sure if they fixed the problem with the newest machines but these were all king quads that would over heat and usually at the worst time. Lol.
Old 06-23-2024, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curtsyneil View Post
All my buddys who have owned Suzukis said the king quad is great other than the rads get plugged up from dirty water and mud because of where they are located. Possibly the mud in the area where they were used the most. Not sure if they fixed the problem with the newest machines but these were all king quads that would over heat and usually at the worst time. Lol.
Not sure if there is any quad that is exactly immune to that, or if the Suzuki are any worse. But the deep water/mud fellas usually relocate one to the front rack. Excepting the machines that come with a high mounted rad already.

Survivor of the dread covid
Pureblood!
Old 06-23-2024, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tactical Lever View Post
Not sure if there is any quad that is exactly immune to that, or if the Suzuki are any worse. But the deep water/mud fellas usually relocate one to the front rack. Excepting the machines that come with a high mounted rad already.
Yeah I get that but these were used for getting into a remote lake for fishing and mud holes and towing tubs with boats and winching all that fun stuff. Only the Suzukis would have this issue with over heating. After many trips the boys would be packing water bottles to shoot onto rad to clean so they wouldn’t over heat. Think one friend said it was something to do with the riffles of the rad. Either way I don’t own one but thought I would bring it up cause buddys had this happen multiple times with the king quads.
Old 06-24-2024, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rio56 View Post
I believe you !
but what's the story with the avatar and name ? LOL
You can’t believe him he’s all over the map ! Drives a Fargo truck too ! lol RJ
Old 06-24-2024, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by REMINGTON JIM View Post
You can’t believe him he’s all over the map ! Drives a Fargo truck too ! lol RJ
Fargo is a belt drive . . . Hi Jim! Hope all's good!
Old 06-27-2024, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Head Lice View Post
Fargo is a belt drive . . . Hi Jim! Hope all's good!

YUP you too Greg RJ
Old 06-28-2024, 11:11 AM

Honda or Yamaha. If you do your own wrenching go with the Yamaha. Much more user friendly to work on and not as many specialty tools or parts as Honda.
Old 06-29-2024, 09:55 PM

I've got a couple honda ranchers, great quads for me. automatic clutch and manual shift, hard to beat.