Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 06-13-2024, 09:36 PM

Default Storm 360 GT searchbait

Anyone have experience with this particular brand of swim baits? I just got a few 1/4oz in smelt and pearl ice with the lip and without to try on lake trout, northerns and walleye. Not a whole lot online about them other than some folks think they’re a bit expensive. I didn’t think 1$/each was bad given how many spoons I’ve lost over the years at 6$+.

https://www.rapala.com/us_en/storm/s...0gt-searchbait
Old 06-14-2024, 05:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordtruckin View Post
Anyone have experience with this particular brand of swim baits? I just got a few 1/4oz in smelt and pearl ice with the lip and without to try on lake trout, northerns and walleye. Not a whole lot online about them other than some folks think they’re a bit expensive. I didn’t think 1$/each was bad given how many spoons I’ve lost over the years at 6$+.

https://www.rapala.com/us_en/storm/s...0gt-searchbait
We have only tried the original version without the lip. They work good for pike and walleye. The downside is they are made with soft plastisol so don’t expect them to last long

Personally I prefer a more durable swimbait and there is a ton of good swimbait options to choose from
Old 06-14-2024, 10:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoky buck View Post
We have only tried the original version without the lip. They work good for pike and walleye. The downside is they are made with soft plastisol so don’t expect them to last long

Personally I prefer a more durable swimbait and there is a ton of good swimbait options to choose from
Do most other brands of the tails last longer? Never used them before so no real reference to go off of. From what I’ve seen the jig heads are acrylic not lead which may be beneficial to me as I have a lake near by that you have to use lead free in.
Old 06-15-2024, 05:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordtruckin View Post
Do most other brands of the tails last longer? Never used them before so no real reference to go off of. From what I’ve seen the jig heads are acrylic not lead which may be beneficial to me as I have a lake near by that you have to use lead free in.
There is a big variation in soft plastics durability but the search baits are on the softer end. For walleye and lake trout this is not a big issue but pike it becomes more of an issue

I would recommend checking out the z man’s paddle tail swimbaits if you want something more durable in a similar size swimbait. They are made from a formula called elaztex that is more durable compared to plastisol. There is other options made with stiffer plastisol too but for smaller baits too but z mans are hard to beat.