Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fly-Fishing Discussion

Old 06-11-2024, 10:06 PM

Default Fishing on the Dark Side

Hi guys
Fishing on the dark side is chronomid fishing straight down from the boat. Usually 16 feet and deeper.
Here is how I do it. been dong it over 30 years.
First you need to have something to attach to the fly to get it down.
Now a lot of guys use their forcepts BUT your forcepts are going to sink into the mud anywhere from a few inches to a foot or more before the bottom is solid enough tp stop them from sinking, they are to thin and too heavy. (From my experience.)
So I have found that a 1/4 by 3/4 inch stainless bolt with three nuts is just right. Put an "O" ring in the middle of the nuts and hook your fly in the "O" ring. This won't sink into the mud as fast or as deep. I gingerly find the bottom then put the rod tip to the water wind up the slock, and then reach up to the first eye , grab the line ,pull it back to the reel and wind up that slack. Remove the nut and drop the line back down. Sit with the rod tip at water level.You're fishing.
BUT THAT'S NOT ALL YOU DO. (You may now just sit and wait. The fish sometime will only take the fly if it is dead still, or.)
You now work the fly. I give the fly a few moments at dead still, the slowly lift the fly off the bottom, about a foot at at a time, then pause a few moments, then lift again, to about a 3 foot lift total. The drop it back down and start again. This works really well if there is a hatch and you are using chrommies. I use from # 18's to 10's straight 2x and 3x long and scud hooks. All 2 x strong.
Cheers
BJay
Old 06-12-2024, 11:15 AM

These work well also for finding bottom:

https://www.bulletweights.com/Produc.../Depth-Finders

Old 06-12-2024, 03:25 PM

BJay. Do you put a small weight above the fly.
Old 06-13-2024, 06:04 AM

Then to go a step farther.After you have your depth.Slide on a bobber stop,that way everytime.You bring your line in,the depth will be consistent.
Old 06-13-2024, 09:53 AM

With a type 6 full sink line you shouldn't need to add any weight.
Sometimes a slow vertical retrieve a long way up gets some violent hits.
Fish may be hovering at some distance off the bottom
Old 06-15-2024, 12:43 PM

All good tips.
I usually go 4’ up from bottom. So two pulls of line from first eye to reel. Approx 4’. I think fish can see up better than down?? Keep leaders short. Less than rod length and thin. So don’t use store bought ones with such a thick butt end. I’ve used a chunk of 2-3X nail knotted on then 3-4’ of 5x successfully.
I generally fish deep so I have white out marks on my line. It scrapes off easily.
Old 06-15-2024, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhobson View Post
One year fishing a popular BC lake friends didn’t have sinking line on their fly rods. But they did have ice fishing gear. Small rods and reels. I rigged them up with a weight and 4’ up a crony. They could drop the line and feel the bottom. They had a great time catching 16” fish. One other fellow rigged it the other way with weight above the fly.about 4’ Crimp on ones. So he’d lift 8’ up after feeling bottom. He didn’t do nearly as well as the others with weight on bottom. I suspect the weight hiding in the bottom goo was the ticket.
Old 06-16-2024, 04:51 PM

Default weight above chronomud.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhobson View Post
Hi
I tie a figure 8 knot about 2 feet above the fly and then add a BB or AAA splt shot for weight above the knot to stop the weight from slipping down to the fly.
I use Dinsmores EGG shot size BB and AAA as it is made of tin and can used duzens of times before it won't hold any more. Bloody expensive but the best I have found. I never throw them away for any reason, and they are not made of lead. Tin is approximatlet 80% of the weight of lead.
Cheers
Bjay