Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Old 05-27-2024, 09:37 PM

Default Broadheads

Recurve bow hunters, whats your favorite ? I'm leaning toward some kind of cut on impact, maybe a 2 blade with a bleeder blade, unless there is something better ...

Sent from my SM-G781W using Tapatalk
Old 05-28-2024, 07:05 AM

As a wood arrow guy. I like Zwicky Eskimos 125gr 2 blade. Always worked for me
Old 06-04-2024, 01:41 PM

Sharp ones
Old 06-05-2024, 06:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ballertrawler II View Post
Sharp ones
Really, is that the best you can come up with?

Old 06-05-2024, 03:44 PM

with a pointy end
Old 06-05-2024, 03:52 PM

Tooth of the arrow 2-blade single bevel out of trad or modern compound, to my knowledge I was the first person to kill an elk with them last season an I have nothing but good things to say about performance.
Old 06-06-2024, 06:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthWestRanger View Post
Tooth of the arrow 2-blade single bevel out of trad or modern compound, to my knowledge I was the first person to kill an elk with them last season an I have nothing but good things to say about performance.
I've heard good things about them ,pricey like most stuff these days

Old 06-06-2024, 06:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ballertrawler II View Post
with a pointy end
Thanx for the info

Old 06-07-2024, 06:59 AM

I have both of these and theyre on opposite ends of the price spectrum.

If you're looking at spending money, buy once cry once! When I feel like being fancy and spoiling my elk to death :-), I use the 200 grain single bevel Iron Will with the bleeder.

With that said I've bought a lot of broadheads from Alien archery out of australia. Jason is a great guy and he usually throws in extras. I think you can get six 200 grains single bevel broadheads for a little over 65 bucks, shipped! Theyre exceptionally well made, not as hard as the iron will, but they get the job done. I shot 4 black bear with the same Broadhead. I didn't resharpen up that head until after the third bear. And that was cause I kept getting full pass thoughs. On the third bear I hammered a massive rock after the pass through.

Last edited by ramonmark; 06-07-2024 at 07:05 AM.
Old 06-11-2024, 03:36 PM

Glue in or screw on? What are the bow specs and arrow weight? Target species?
Old 06-12-2024, 06:52 AM

Screw on type ,whitetails and mule deer .. my bow is 45# but with my long draw im probably pulling close to 50 ,my target points are 100 gr,should I stay that weight or be heavier. Arrows are full.length 340 gold tips

Old 06-12-2024, 07:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by H380 View Post
Screw on type ,whitetails and mule deer .. my bow is 45# but with my long draw im probably pulling close to 50 ,my target points are 100 gr,should I stay that weight or be heavier. Arrows are full.length 340 gold tips

If your arrows are working for you stick with it. 100gr will be fine. You can try 125gr target points and see if they fly good, as a different option
Old 06-12-2024, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeroyvdH View Post
If your arrows are working for you stick with it. 100gr will be fine. You can try 125gr target points and see if they fly good, as a different option
Thx for the info

Old 06-15-2024, 03:41 PM

Default Broadheads

Quote:
Originally Posted by H380 View Post

Safe to assume your shooting the GT traditional at 12 grains per inch and your total arrow weight is up around 500+ grains?

I would stick with something like a Magnus stinger, VPA or steelforce. Think cut on contact, modest cut diameter, high mechanical advantage.

I shoot a lot of Magnus from my compounds because I can send them back for replacement when I wreck them. I typically send them back 2-3 doz at a time and on average I get a few kills per head before they get damaged. The VPA is much tougher but also heavier when you get long enough to exploit the mechanical advantage. I used to shoot the 3 blade vpa from my longbow.

Are you shooting off the shelf? Is it center shot? You shooting off a rest? How are the current arrows and point weight tuning? My guess is that they’re full length to tune with that light tip weight?

Personally I would bump the weight up and cut the arrow down if require to tune. Trad gear uses momentum to penetrate and overall weight helps momentum. Usually we are talking 150-300 grain broadheads and a minimum of 10gpp (which you’re probably already achieving). Heavier broadheads are stronger as they have more steel ferrules, I like 150+ grain myself. Higher FOC (when properly tuned) also increases arrow stability and penetration.

You didn’t ask but also get your hands on some unprocessed wild turkey feathers for your fletching. You’ll be amazed at how superior they are to a commercial, processed feather from a domestic bird. They’re even better than vanes and completely water proof.

Old 06-15-2024, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coiloil37 View Post
Safe to assume your shooting the GT traditional at 12 grains per inch and your total arrow weight is up around 500+ grains?

I would stick with something like a Magnus stinger, VPA or steelforce. Think cut on contact, modest cut diameter, high mechanical advantage.

I shoot a lot of Magnus from my compounds because I can send them back for replacement when I wreck them. I typically send them back 2-3 doz at a time and on average I get a few kills per head before they get damaged. The VPA is much tougher but also heavier when you get long enough to exploit the mechanical advantage. I used to shoot the 3 blade vpa from my longbow.

Are you shooting off the shelf? Is it center shot? You shooting off a rest? How are the current arrows and point weight tuning? My guess is that they’re full length to tune with that light tip weight?

Personally I would bump the weight up and cut the arrow down if require to tune. Trad gear uses momentum to penetrate and overall weight helps momentum. Usually we are talking 150-300 grain broadheads and a minimum of 10gpp (which you’re probably already achieving). Heavier broadheads are stronger as they have more steel ferrules, I like 150+ grain myself. Higher FOC (when properly tuned) also increases arrow stability and penetration.

You didn’t ask but also get your hands on some unprocessed wild turkey feathers for your fletching. You’ll be amazed at how superior they are to a commercial, processed feather from a domestic bird. They’re even better than vanes and completely water proof.

Thanx for the comments and info ,greatly appreciated.. I'm shooting off the rest and think they should be shortened a bit..I've got a pack of steelforce 100 gr heads ,they fly nice but are slightly under legal width . Magnus seems to be a common and popular head and I'm leaning that direction . Thanx again , beauty bear by the way .