Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 06-05-2024, 07:33 PM

Default Calgary local fishing holes for kids.

Anyone have any recommendations for any local south Calgary fishing holes that a 4 year old can catch a fish on his paw patrol rod with a bobber and a dream? Kids can catch pond at the hatchery is closed McLean creek was fished out champion was over run by dirt bikers sandycross pond was a dead end. Was carburn park ever restocked after the flood?

Last edited by Dubious; 06-05-2024 at 07:44 PM.
Old 06-05-2024, 08:25 PM

Chain Lakes west of Nanton is the best I have. Severn reservoir north of Standard I believe is stocked. He can fish Kinsmen Park in Strathmore, it's stocked & free under 16 or over 65.

Wheatland Conservation has a free fish derby for kids in Strathmore every year, I believe it's coming soon.

All tyranny needs to gain a foothold is for people of good conscience to remain silent. Edmund Burke
Old 06-05-2024, 09:28 PM

Nose hill in Airdrie is good for babies.

Sent from my SM-S911W using Tapatalk
Old 06-06-2024, 10:39 AM

Cochrane is the same 16 and over have to put it back i believe is still the rule
Old 06-06-2024, 06:37 PM

Carburn park doesn’t have trout, I believe you could find some perch and small pike in the second lake, haven’t fished there for years but I doubt they would be fished out although imho heard some rumours of a winter kill a few years ago so not sure about numbers. Lakes shouldn’t be fished out yet, they would have been stocked within the last month so there should still be some in all the ponds. Check the alberta stocking report for what was stocked where.
Old 06-10-2024, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roper1 View Post
Chain Lakes west of Nanton is the best I have. Severn reservoir north of Standard I believe is stocked. He can fish Kinsmen Park in Strathmore, it's stocked & free under 16 or over 65.

Wheatland Conservation has a free fish derby for kids in Strathmore every year, I believe it's coming soon.
+1 for chain lakes. My son and his friend camped there last weekend and caught 64 fish over 2 days. Definitely keeps the kids entertained.