Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 05-25-2024, 09:51 PM

Default 45-70 Load

Working up a 45-70 load for Elk/Moose/Deer

I want to use a monlithic bullet - so considering either:
Barnes TSX 250 Gr
Barnes TSX 300 Gr

I have a slight bias towards the 250 gr right now - two reasons:

1 My experience with the Barnes and all monolithics has been that they open more reliably with ample speed.

2 Generally my shots are pretty close (like 100-200), but once in awhile something a little further presents itself so wanted to have the advantage of a marginally flatter trajectory.

Not sure if that is sound logic but right now that is where I am presently.

I generally rely on just the published load data from Barnes and then ladder test to optimize the propellent charge.

This time I decided to cross check through Gordons Reloading tool.

When I look at the load data from Barnes and then cross check this through GRT I am consistently getting over pressure and slow burn warnings.

Looking to hear from anyone who might have loaded a 45-70 in either of these bullets.

Also if anyone knows if GRT is generally more conservative than Barnes published data.

Thanks to all
Old 05-26-2024, 06:42 AM

Default before you can get any advice

Tell us what gun it will be used in.
Old 05-26-2024, 09:48 AM

I have used a 45-70 extensively for more than 45 years. I am a huge fan of Barnes bullets, but I would never use them in a 45-70. This cartridge is perfect for cup and core or cast bullets and a mono will not improve the killing results you get with a 300 or 350 grain Hornady or a 400 grain Remington or 400 grain cast. The heavier bullets penetrate a bear length wise and will go through both shoulders of a moose. A lighter bullet may shoot a bit flatter but it is giving up the major benefits of a large bore calibre, and that is heavy projectiles.

If you want to shoot more than 200 yards, put a scope with a Boone and Crockett style reticle on it, and you are good to 350 yards or so. If you want to hunt at longer ranges than that, something other the a 45-70 would make more sense.
Old 05-26-2024, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean2 View Post
I have used a 45-70 extensively for more than 45 years. I am a huge fan of Barnes bullets, but I would never use them in a 45-70. This cartridge is perfect for cup and core or cast bullets and a mono will not improve the killing results you get with a 300 or 350 grain Hornady or a 400 grain Remington or 400 grain cast. The heavier bullets penetrate a bear length wise and will go through both shoulders of a moose. A lighter bullet may shoot a bit flatter but it is giving up the major benefits of a large bore calibre, and that is heavy projectiles.

If you want to shoot more than 200 yards, put a scope with a Boone and Crockett style reticle on it, and you are good to 350 yards or so. If you want to hunt at longer ranges than that, something other the a 45-70 would make more sense.

I agree about shooting heavy cast bullets, I shoot 440 grain gas checked cast out of my 45-70 CVA Take Down Scout rifle, it clocks the big slugs in at 1735 fps.
I does have a bit of a kick, but it's only 3 inches low at 200 yds.
The 540 grain cast are an "experience" to shoot at just under 1400 fps, they drop about 11 inches at 200 yds.
There are no ephalumps or woozels around here, so the big 540 grain slugs are dedicated to the range.
Old 05-26-2024, 03:21 PM

Hmm...no one has mentioned what powder(s)...(?)
Old 05-26-2024, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6MT View Post
Hmm...no one has mentioned what powder(s)...(?)
I used R-7 with the Hornady 350gr flat point. In my Marlin SDT 8-9 rounds were plenty for me.
Old 05-26-2024, 04:24 PM

My favourite powders for the 45 70 are 3031, Varget and 4227, but I am not loading the monos the OP asked about. I also don't load over 1600 fps, even though I can push them a lot faster. With a BDC reticle a few inches more or less drop is irrelevant. At 1500 or 1600 fps they fullyß penetrate, and they dont kick very hard. Faster does not kill better, just beats the crap out of the shooter.

Have posted this before but always a good read.

This is by Randy Garret of Garret Ammunition Manufacturers.
https://www.garrettcartridges.com/penetration.html

PENETRATION: THE 45-70 & 458 MAGNUMS

The following article is based on bullet penetration test results as measured in water-saturated penetration materials (wet newspapers). Water is the primary substance of life, and constitutes about 90% of the content of all mammals. I have observed that some "testers" have chosen wood boards or dry newspapers for penetration testing material, and this is a very poor choice, which in no way simulates the characteristics of a bullet impact with animal flesh. Wood tends to channel the bullet path, and is less demonstrative of the terminal instabilities inherent to non-expanding bullets when impacting game animals, and is thus an inferior material for the testing of bullet penetration characteristics. Water-saturated penetration materials such as newspapers or ballistic gelatin are far superior with regards to their ability to demonstrate the terminal instabilities that typically occur when non-expanding bullets impact live animal flesh. - Randy Garrett
There are few things in the world of ballistics less well understood than the issues relating to comparative penetration. It is commonly believed that the faster one drives a solid bullet, the deeper the penetration. We see this all the time in the various attempts, via new calibers, to achieve higher velocity for improved performance on heavy game. The current rage among big bore shooters seems to be the 458 Lott, since it achieves a good 200-300 fps higher velocity than the 458 Winchester Magnum. It is claimed that the new 458 Lott is an improvement over the 458 Winchester Magnum since its higher velocity supposedly results in more lethal impact-effect and deeper penetration. This, it is claimed, is just the ticket for busting the heaviest game. Of course, the new 458 Lott also achieves greater kinetic energy as a result of its higher velocity, and this is also a convincing characteristic for those brave souls in pursuit of the heaviest game.

Despite all the impressive "science" deployed to reinforce the assertion that higher speed projectiles are more capable of inflicting the deep penetration and impact-effect required to reliably anchor heavy game, one finds that these assertions simply do not withstand common sense, repeatable penetration testing. In fact, if one conducts these tests, one finds that there is nothing that can be observed which supports the assertion that the faster one drives non-expanding solids the deeper they penetrate.

Very interestingly, if one takes the Hornady 500-grain .458 diameter solid bullet and compares the penetration that results from impact speeds varying from about 1500-fps to 2500-fps, one finds that the higher impact speeds produce the least penetration. When driven to about 1500-fps (as the 45-70 will do) one finds that such solids produce nearly 6-feet of penetration in wet newspapers. When the same bullet is driven to about 2100-fps (as is characteristic of the 458 Winchester Magnum) one finds that the penetration is reduced to about 4 to 4 and 1/2 feet. When one tests the same bullet at 2300-2400 fps (as is characteristic of the 458 Lott) one finds that the penetration comes up nearly 20% short of that produced by the 458 Winchester. And when one tests the same bullet at the blistering speeds characteristic of the mighty 460 Weatherby Magnum, one finds that the penetration achieved is the most shallow produced by the various 458s.

What is apparent from testing is that penetration stops increasing at impact speeds above about 1250-1300 fps. When the impact speeds significantly surpass about 1600-fps, there is a very definite and measurable decrease in penetration depth. This raises some interesting issues regarding the relationship between kinetic energy generation and impact-effect. Although higher velocity projectiles always generate more kinetic energy they clearly do not produce deeper penetration, and when the velocities reach the levels common to today's magnums, the increases in velocity result in significantly reduced penetration. Simply stated, the faster they strike the faster they stop.
Fortunately for all of us who shoot the 45-70, it can be considered to be the deepest penetrating of the various 458 calibers. This is not due to any particular inherent superiority, but due to the 45-70's "inability" to achieve the velocity with heavy bullets that leads to decreases in penetration. The reasons why high impact speeds reduce penetration are not well understood. However, anyone who takes the time to run comparative penetration tests will find that those of us who pack a good 45-70 with heavy bullets need not take a back seat to any other 458 caliber, especially when the game is heavy and the penetration requirements are great.
- Randy Garrett

Last edited by Dean2; 05-26-2024 at 04:29 PM.
Old 05-26-2024, 05:43 PM

Years ago with 45/70 and cast bullets I got better long range accuracy with 500 grain bullets fn with short ogive probably because with longer bore riding ojive it gives you more room in case for more black powder.
I have no chronograph but maybe slower load is sub sonic so less breaking sound barrier on way up and again on way down.
I can't remember all I shot with it but it would knock deer over. Almost Lille a slap. Kills better than energy numbers would lead you to believe.
Old 05-26-2024, 05:51 PM

With the 300gr class of bullets (plated), I use 47.0gr of IMR4198 with my Pedersoli 1886. This gives me 1920fps from its 26” 1:18” barrel. It is a very accurate load to 300m (with iron sights and old tired eyes).
Old 05-27-2024, 08:49 PM

Thanks to all the responses so far.

I realize that most shoot this with cup and core - I don't want to hunt with these and will go leadless.

Going to order a box of each of the 250 and 300 and work up load for each using the published Barnes data at the minimum charge as a starting point and then titrate up if appropriate.

N120 Min=50gr
IMR4227 Min=43gr

N120 Min=44gr
IMR4227 Min=38.5gr

Will see what I get off the Garmin and Shotmarker.