Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 05-22-2024, 10:50 AM

Default Knife engraving

I'll be getting married this summer and wanted to get my groomsmen some personalized hunting knives. Anyone know anywhere in semi local (western provinces) that would be able to do that? Whether it be custom knives or Buck knives I'm all ears.

Last edited by DGP; 05-22-2024 at 11:06 AM.
Old 05-22-2024, 10:53 AM

If you want local recommendations, you'll probably have to provide some indication of were that is.
Old 05-22-2024, 10:55 AM

To give a knife as a gift is a bad sign, usually means that you will severe the ties with this person. Yeah I know it’s a superstition but… happened to me twice!
If you still wanna do that- make sure the person who gets the knife pays you at least a dollar for it.
Old 05-22-2024, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trochu View Post
If you want local recommendations, you'll probably have to provide some indication of were that is.
Edited but anywhere in the western provinces really
Old 05-22-2024, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KGB View Post
To give a knife as a gift is a bad sign, usually means that you will severe the ties with this person. Yeah I know it’s a superstition but… happened to me twice!
If you still wanna do that- make sure the person who gets the knife pays you at least a dollar for it.
Not everyone agrees on that, it's an old wives tale
Some of my most cherished knives were gifts to me
Cat
Old 05-22-2024, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnthehat View Post
Not everyone agrees on that, it's an old wives tale
Some of my most cherished knives were gifts to me
Cat
Hey bud, it sure is an old wives tale but…the choice is yours, lol!
Old 05-22-2024, 11:26 AM

What's your budget? Folders or fixed blade?

I'd start with Phil McCracken on this forum for fixed blade or Rapid River Knifeworks in Michigan if you want a folder (they sell fixed blades also). I've dealt with both and they're great. Rapid River does laser etching and I've been really happy with the 6 or so knives I've bought from them for gifts. Jay (Phil) is also good to deal with but you may be on your own to get the knives engraved.

Gerry Burnie
Old 05-22-2024, 11:27 AM

Some fellas on here make some nice knives, Benchmade makes some nice ones as well. As for engraving, some guys on here engrave, and I think most jewelry/trophy/promotional shop would be able to do it.
Old 05-22-2024, 01:55 PM

Whether you decide to go with an off the shelf or a custom knife, you might want to consider taking them to a shop that specializes in laser engraving. They may be able to offer more uniform artwork with a faster turnaround than a custom knifemaker.
I know that Can West Legacy Inc. in Calgary used to do one off custom engraving and laser engraving. Rifle barrels, knife blades, plaques, etc.
I haven't dealt with them in years, but it might be worth a call to find out.

https://canwestlegacy.com/products/promotional-awards/

“We seem to be getting closer and closer to a situation where nobody is responsible for what they did but we are all responsible for what somebody else did.”- Thomas Sowell
Old 05-22-2024, 04:28 PM

I'm an engraver. West Edmonton. Have done several knives. PM me if you require assistance.
Old 05-22-2024, 05:06 PM

Quote:
I could see that happening when a guy gets married. As he will have no time for his single friends anymore. Happy life is a happy wife !
Old 05-22-2024, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooseknuckle View Post
I'm an engraver. West Edmonton. Have done several knives. PM me if you require assistance.
Can you post some pics of your work pls?

Gerry Burnie
Old 05-23-2024, 08:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DGP View Post
I'll be getting married this summer and wanted to get my groomsmen some personalized hunting knives. Anyone know anywhere in semi local (western provinces) that would be able to do that? Whether it be custom knives or Buck knives I'm all ears.
If you already have the knives then a guy like MK is perfect. If you need to order knives and want them engraved I would use the Buck Custom shop. Easy to order and fairly quick turn around time. My wife ordered a fancy 110, Stag handles, S30V steel for me for our 30th anniversary. We are now at 42, still with her and never paid her for the knife. Like Cat, my favourite knives, that I use all the time were gifts from family and close friends. I bought an exact copy of the one my wife gave me, minus the engraving, and have used it as my main hunting carry for the last 12 years.

https://www.buckknives.com/custom-knife-shop/
Old 06-02-2024, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DGP View Post
Did you get your plan together?

I'm getting married this summer too. I should have thought about it sooner. But I just got the idea from your post. I'll be buying some Buck knives for the fellas at the wedding. And I'll want to get them engraved.

Sent from my SM-S901W using Tapatalk
Old 06-02-2024, 02:40 PM

Quote:
There are also cultures that would look at it the opposite. They would say giving a knife means you are sharp. Giving someone a watch might also mean they always watching the clock or worried about time.

I perhaps wouldn’t gift a casket or a horses head, otherwise I give whatever I want as I know the intentions of the gift as well as the person receiving it.
Old 06-04-2024, 10:38 AM

Lots of trophy shops can do all kinds of engraving, including laser engraving. Most cities and towns will have a few shops like that. I got one done at a trophy shop in Edmonton for a friend. It was a coated blade (Benchmade) and they did a user engraving on it that looked like factory.
Old 06-04-2024, 10:58 AM

Badback on the forum does metal engraving or engraving on many surfaces. Great pricing and lives in Calgary.

You would need to supply the knives however.
It is not the most intellectual of the species that survives; it is not the strongest that survives; but the species that survives is the one that is able best to adapt and adjust to the changing environment in which it finds itself. Charles Darwin