Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 05-22-2024, 12:27 PM

Default Trailer wiring education

Rewired my 12ft flat deck trailer. My marker lights and driving lights werent working.

Still no marker or driving lights.

Plugged it into sons identical truck and everything works perfectly. So, it's my truck. Fuses all good.

Went to Windermere Dodge. $1500 to replace my wiring.

Called Pioneer Hitch. $180 plus gst to do it all (7 plug and 4 plug recepticles)....booked for next Wednesday......

And I definitely did a better job than Lamar Trailers did in wiring. Everything is now soldered, heat shrunk tubes, conduit etc. Now I will buff off the 1mm thick factory powder coating, prime and rocker guard the whole thing.

Last edited by huntinstuff; 05-22-2024 at 12:37 PM.
Old 05-22-2024, 12:32 PM

Too bad you didn't have the extended warranty.
Old 05-22-2024, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trochu View Post
Too bad you didn't have the extended warranty.
Lol.. yeah im sure that would have totally been a game changer😅😅😅😇
Old 05-22-2024, 12:41 PM

I bet if you open up the 7 pin plug on the truck side, the wires and plug ends are all corroded. No matter what you do, the water finds a way in. Seems like every few years I'm replacing one or the other, Nothing worse than works last time, nada this time when you want to plug in and go.

180 bucks is a good deal and you wont have to fart around on your back and knees replacing back to "good" wires.
Old 05-22-2024, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sooner View Post
I bet if you open up the 7 pin plug on the truck side, the wires and plug ends are all corroded. No matter what you do, the water finds a way in. Seems like every few years I'm replacing one or the other, Nothing worse than works last time, nada this time when you want to plug in and go.

180 bucks is a good deal and you wont have to fart around on your back and knees replacing back to "good" wires.
Exactly how I was thinking. I could chase a ground wire for 19ft but for $180 Id be insane not to change it all out.
Old 05-22-2024, 01:11 PM

What year of Dodge truck is it? You may have to take it to Dodge to have them reset the marker light circuit on their scanner.
Old 05-22-2024, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ram crazy View Post
What year of Dodge truck is it? You may have to take it to Dodge to have them reset the marker light circuit on their scanner.
😅😅😅😅
It's likely my marker light fluid is low.....happens all the time
Old 05-22-2024, 01:35 PM

Been there done that. Hard to believe for $180 they are doing anything but a quick swap of the plug itself.

They get crap inside them and need some help time to time.

I have to take a multimeter to my trucks plug no less than 3 times a year.

It's not hard to figure out if you have power to that pin or not. If no power to the pin your problem is usually about a half inch away on the truck side of the harness. Dirt, Dust, Rust, bent pin etc etc.

That's my experience anyway.
Old 05-22-2024, 01:41 PM

I bought a similar tester to this, simplifies things to some degree.

https://www.amazon.ca/MaxxHaul-50155...39&sr=8-5&th=1

Isaiah 5:8
Old 05-22-2024, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie Black R/T View Post
Been there done that. Hard to believe for $180 they are doing anything but a quick swap of the plug itself.

They get crap inside them and need some help time to time.

I have to take a multimeter to my trucks plug no less than 3 times a year.

It's not hard to figure out if you have power to that pin or not. If no power to the pin your problem is usually about a half inch away on the truck side of the harness. Dirt, Dust, Rust, bent pin etc etc.

That's my experience anyway.

I get the same result with both the 4 and 7 pin plug. Took the 7pin off, cleaned it, dilectric greased it and still no joy. Somewhere along the line its broken.....oh well it isnt a major deal.
Old 05-22-2024, 02:06 PM

A dealership is not going to replace all your wiring. For them to say that is misleading. Specially on new truck would sure cost crazy money. Way more than 1500.
Garage will check easy stuff first and repair replace as necessary. Hard to give u qoute because they won't know until they get into the job how much of a job it is. In all probability it's something easy like the plug in or connection point on wiring harness, fusible link or something.
I would find a honest shop and pay by hour. Is what it is. But in all probability it's not a big job.
Old 05-22-2024, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntinstuff View Post
😅😅😅😅
It's likely my marker light fluid is low.....happens all the time
In 2006 Dodge went away with fuses for the trailer circuit and went with a TIPM (totally integrated power module) and when you have a short in a trailer circuit it has to be reset by the dealership. The bad thing about the TIPM is they can only be reset so many times so you have to make sure the wiring is repaired before you hook back up to the trailer. They may have went back to fuses on the newer Dodge truck but I'm not sure.
Old 05-22-2024, 03:48 PM

Quote:
In 2006 Dodge went away with fuses for the trailer circuit and went with a TIPM (totally integrated power module) and when you have a short in a trailer circuit it has to be reset by the dealership. The bad thing about the TIPM is they can only be reset so many times so you have to make sure the wiring is repaired before you hook back up to the trailer. They may have went back to fuses on the newer Dodge truck but I'm not sure.

Lol. Sorry I thot you were jerking my chain.....i had no idea regarding the module you speak of
Old 05-22-2024, 03:58 PM

My Baby Brother and I are both bald from pulling our hair out on trailer wiring.

Since your intentions are pure on doing a better job than what was done, perhaps run all the wiring into a 1/2 plastic conduit from the hitch to the rear, which is attached to the trailer underside. At the back end, use a T connector to run more conduit out to each corner of the trailer for signal lights.

Wires are allergic to road gravel and ice. Proven fact. Inside a Conduit they can survive Vladamir Putin's threats of annihilation.

Then, use dielectric grease on any screw connections inside the plug to fight the inevitable corrosion.

Mathematicians have in fact worked out the permutations and combinations that arise from 4 or 7 separate wires in trailer wiring. There are 6 million combinations, if there is as much as one ground fault from those few wires.

That is why Trailer owners either quit caring, or start drinking.

Drewski
Old 05-22-2024, 04:54 PM

I quit caring and carry a magnetic light kit. Every trailer I have had ends up with wiring problems. Easiest way to fix is get the tractor out and flip the trailer over. I complain about the garbage coming out of China but seems our own trailer makers make garbage too.
Old 05-22-2024, 05:02 PM

Quote:
OMG this is another example of why I will never get rid of my old iron