Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Trapping Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 05-19-2024, 08:55 AM

What exactly is your proposal then?

-Billy Molls
Old 05-19-2024, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by antlercarver View Post
There is a animal protection act where violations are punishable by fines and confiscation. Poultry and other animal raising industries have laws to prevent suffering. Slaughter houses have laws to minimize suffering. The trappers have to use leg traps with rubber padded jaws, body grip traps are designed and tested for speed of kill, new improved snares have special features that lessen the time a animal is alive. Big game hunters are not allowed to use small calibers to minimize wounding and suffering. For a while barbless hooks were being used to allow less damage in catch and release.
I can bring up more examples but if these are not enough, more would be pointless.
There are many ways to get the desired results without causing unnecessary pain or starvation.
By allowing pain, wounding. suffering or starvation to get into the public media there will be more call to shut down some of our outdoor pursuits. There are many more voters who do not go off the pavement than there are people who do fish, hunt ect,
Some of us can not see the forest because the trees are in your way.
I was going to write something about "pest control" and my phone auto corrected to "Troll"

Well played samsung.

Last edited by Dewey Cox; 05-19-2024 at 09:31 AM.
Old 05-19-2024, 09:05 AM

Screw it, I'll write it anyway

Raising farm animals, hunting, and trapping are all completely different issues from pest control.
Full stop.
Old 05-19-2024, 09:18 AM

Default Animals

To the cod fishermen , seals were pests and clubbing the EASY to get ones was good. How did that turn out.
Old 05-19-2024, 09:21 AM

What is your proposal?

-Billy Molls
Old 05-19-2024, 09:27 AM

Quote:
To the cod fishermen , seals were pests and clubbing the EASY to get ones was good. How did that turn out.
Actually that was a fur industry not pest management.

Anyway what you are on about is a slippery slope. Keep going with that and one step leads to another, eventually we wouldn't be able to hunt deer with rifles, eat chickens, beef, go fishing or kill mosquitos because it's too cruel.
Old 05-19-2024, 09:27 AM

Quote:
There is a animal protection act where violations are punishable by fines and confiscation. Poultry and other animal raising industries have laws to prevent suffering. Slaughter houses have laws to minimize suffering. The trappers have to use leg traps with rubber padded jaws, body grip traps are designed and tested for speed of kill, new improved snares have special features that lessen the time a animal is alive. Big game hunters are not allowed to use small calibers to minimize wounding and suffering. For a while barbless hooks were being used to allow less damage in catch and release.
I can bring up more examples but if these are not enough, more would be pointless.
There are many ways to get the desired results without causing unnecessary pain or starvation.
By allowing pain, wounding. suffering or starvation to get into the public media there will be more call to shut down some of our outdoor pursuits. There are many more voters who do not go off the pavement than there are people who do fish, hunt ect,

What happens when animals overpopulate?

Disease and starvation.
Nature is cruel no matter what.
Old 05-19-2024, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Please elaborate on this example.
I don't think it supports your argument like you think it does.
Old 05-19-2024, 10:08 AM

Default Beavers

Simple solution is that there is a trapping season. zones 1-4 Oct. 1-May 15 Zone 5 Oct 1- Mat 31 Zune 6 Oct. 15 - May 15 and Zones 7,8 Oct 15 -Apr. 1 Kill them in these times and the kits will not be left to starve. As was pointed out earlier, winter trapping is not easy, WE ALL WANT EASY.
We found a skinny little beaver about 10 in long crawling along the lakeshore where the parents were pests, it was to small and skinny to survive. I feel its suffering was unnecessary. Some will say a predator will have picked up the little beaver, but there was nothing to eat, it was just a little bit of skin and bones.
Old 05-19-2024, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Simple solution is that there is a trapping season. zones 1-4 Oct. 1-May 15 Zone 5 Oct 1- Mat 31 Zune 6 Oct. 15 - May 15 and Zones 7,8 Oct 15 -Apr. 1 Kill them in these times and the kits will not be left to starve. As was pointed out earlier, winter trapping is not easy, WE ALL WANT EASY.
We found a skinny little beaver about 10 in long crawling along the lakeshore where the parents were pests, it was to small and skinny to survive. I feel its suffering was unnecessary. Some will say a predator will have picked up the little beaver, but there was nothing to eat, it was just a little bit of skin and bones.
That is OBVIOUSLY not working. Trapping seasons are set to maintain animal populations. The purpose here is to drastically decrease it.

-Billy Molls
Old 05-19-2024, 10:55 AM

I guess they could just trap the whole family and ship them south. Apparently they have or had a reintroduction program into the SW US to reinvigorate the streams and small rivers down there in the areas they used to live in, kinda like the wolf reintroduction.
Old 05-19-2024, 11:07 AM

The Canadian icon on vacation.

-Billy Molls
Old 05-19-2024, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Not too bad, I am watching a sealing show right now on NTV.
WDF
Old 05-19-2024, 12:47 PM

How woke of you. Better ask the gophers we shoot if they have babies..
Old 05-19-2024, 01:25 PM

Quote:
With respect, a mirror would be invaluable right now.

If what you say here is correct (all quite so and/or plausible), then it will be so and you will gain your desired outcome.

See now?

I can agree with your concern about baby beavers.
There are other management techniques available, some more permanent which maintain beavers at these sites. The issue is just acceptance of the concepts and money.

Rather than complain here, I hope you've contacted the county to express your opinion.

"to identify very rare, scarce or special forms of fish and wildlife outdoor recreation opportunities and to ensure that access to these opportunities continues to be available to all Albertans."
Old 05-19-2024, 01:33 PM

Quote:
how do you feel about abortion?
Old 05-19-2024, 02:27 PM

Everyone has got it all wrong. It’s only the males Beavers doing all the damage right now as females are on maturity leave and are taking care of the kits!
Old 05-19-2024, 03:45 PM

Just put a beaver tax on everything. It’ll take care of itself.

BW
Old 05-19-2024, 09:53 PM

My firm believe is that we always end up looking at these topics with blinders on and we don’t understand the larger picture anywhere as well as we think we do. Do I believe we should be respectful of animals we hunt/trap/fish, absolutely. But believing we know what causes the least amount of, let’s call it total suffering, is a dream. Does trapping the beavers now lead to some young suffering, yes. Does letting the beavers build dams now and only trapping them later in the year reduce suffering - to the young beavers maybe, but what about collateral suffering. Beavers building wetlands has some huge benefits to other species. But there are negatives as well. If they flood an area now, are there not other animals around with young in borrows in that flood zone that would then drown - I’m sure there are. Nature is cruel. We shouldn’t go out of our way to be cruel, but we also shouldn’t assume we know what’s best. Which of the two scenarios creates the least overall suffering considering all the species involved - I have no idea, and that’s the point.
Old 05-20-2024, 05:17 AM

Default Walt Disney

would be proud and the present day woke folk.
Old 05-20-2024, 08:27 AM

Default Beavers

I have beavers right behind the barn, 150 yds from my house, flooding is controlled and beavers are also controlled, without undue suffering. Nothing more to say.
Old 05-20-2024, 11:08 AM

if you are concerned about the well being of the beaver kits, capture them and take them to animal rescue, they will get a new lease on life?

info@wildnorth.ca

info@aiwc.ca
Old 05-20-2024, 10:18 PM

Why not just live trap the male beavers and with anesthetic neuter them and remove their front teeth so they can’t chew trees.
Old 05-21-2024, 07:30 AM

A destructive rodent. Friend runs a track hoe on his land NE of Saskatoon for days on end trying to dig out runs and dams. The damage to access and flooded fields is very serious. I helped blast dams and shot lots of them, and they took ONE day maybe two and it was rebuilt. Dig , shoot , blast , Never seem to get rid of them. NO Beaver lovers up that way.
Old 05-21-2024, 08:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigwoodsman View Post
Just put a beaver tax on everything. It’ll take care of itself.

BW
Obviously!
Old 05-22-2024, 07:07 AM

I do damage control for the county I live in. Catch between 5 to 800 a year. All I can say are they are very prolific breeders. Go back to same places year after year after year. Seem to do a lot of trapping in the sub divisions where everyone wants to live the dream in the forest with animals. Mostly tree huggers until something starts cutting down their trees and flooding them out. Humans footstep is growing rapidly every day.
Old 05-22-2024, 08:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikeslayer22 View Post
I do damage control for the county I live in. Catch between 5 to 800 a year. All I can say are they are very prolific breeders. Go back to same places year after year after year. Seem to do a lot of trapping in the sub divisions where everyone wants to live the dream in the forest with animals. Mostly tree huggers until something starts cutting down their trees and flooding them out. Humans footstep is growing rapidly every day.
Would it be a realistic to expect the same results if you were restricted to the trapping season?
Old 05-22-2024, 09:12 AM
AO Sponsor

Quote:
The county is killing beavers that are plugging road culverts. I understand that the beavers need to be controlled. I have been trapping, snaring and shooting beavers for 60+ years, so know a little about them.
The issue now is the county is killing the beavers all summer long while the kits are being born and are left to starve.
Kill them during regular trapping season which is from fall to May 15. when the kits are big enough to live alone.
I don't like the idea of the kits starving to death.
Are you good with parking your car/truck for summer and staying home so the beavers can plug the culverts and wreck the roads?

Who sez they gonna starve? They probly get weaned quickly and eat present
foilsge

We welcome grovelling if you have solutions
Old 05-22-2024, 10:13 AM

Antlercarver,

"Baby Beavers Left to Starve" should be on a protest sign that you should carry to the Provincial Legislature.

You are willing to do that, right?

As you can see, not alot of posters on this thread will be walking with you arm in arm. You might get a bunch of College kids who have no idea of the impact of Beavers on roadways, but they are all busy sitting in tents in protest camps for HAMAS right now. You see, HAMAS is way more sexy to the College crowd.

Truth is, you should also be protesting the removal of the dams plugging culverts as that is having a greater effect on the Baby Beavers who have no ability to re build the dams. Then there would be no need to kill the Adult Beavers flooding rural roads as the roads would be accepted as of a lesser value than the Beavers destroying the roads with their dams.

As for holding off until the baby beavers are now adult beavers who can then be trapped, that is pretty funny.

There is no money in trapping beavers and very few will take this call to arms to solve the future problem. If you do not get EVERY Beaver in the pond during trapping season, come spring, there would still be the flooded roads.

Drewski
Old 05-22-2024, 01:09 PM

Default The Baby's Will be Fine

Baby beavers are usually born in late Jan are are fully weaned in 8 - 12 weeks so by May they are no longer dependent on their mothers, in fact when she weans them she actually moves out of the house and the father takes over.

This is a lot of hub bub about nothing, beavers cause a pile of damage cutting down trees and flooding land and roads, for the most part these day's the pelt's are worthless hence the reason they have increased in numbers, I have a couple farmers that I have been cleaning out beavers for and never once gave a thought to staving the young ones.

We were all born ignorant but one must work very hard to remain that way.
Closed Thread