Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 05-17-2024, 04:36 PM
AO Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean2 View Post
MK2750 Does Kal just change summer tires that are mounted on rims, for winter tires on separate rims or are they actually swapping the tires on the same rim. I know in my case I have two full sets of tires and rims so the swap is pretty easy. If they are having to dismount, mount and balance, at each changeover then that price doesn't seem all that bad to me.
Oh wait... If it is $160 for a bolt on then yeah, that is steep! We charge still $100.00 for that service but include rebalancing in as part of the job.
Bay #6, 1303 44th ave NE
Calgary AB, T2E6L5
bobbybirds@icloud.com
www.urbanexp.ca

Leviticus 23: 4-18: "he that scopeth a lever, or thou allow a scope to lie with a lever as it would lie with a bolt action, shall have created an abomination and shall perish in the fires of Hell forever and ever.....plus GST" - huntinstuff April 07/23
Old 05-17-2024, 05:09 PM

I had Mr. Lube swap a set of tires on rims last year, they charged $20/tire which seemed a bit steep to me. I'm back to doing it myself again.
Old 05-17-2024, 05:18 PM

Kal swaps them out for $70 here, summers and winters mounted on their own wheels.

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone
Old 05-17-2024, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MK2750 View Post
I always liked dealing with Kal. Have winters and summers from them on my car and ATs on the truck. I was going to go to a dedicated winter summer combo on the new truck this year.

$160 for a seasonal change over cost them a customer. I like Nokian Tires but there are others equal or better and change overs at most places is $100-$120.

I was going with the new Nokian Outpost on my pick up this spring and studded Hakkapeliittas for winter. I am also due for new Hakkapeliittas on the car this fall. So they are out nearly $5000 for the sake of gouging an extra $20-50 dollars for a seasonal change out.

I am not great at math but you would think someone in their head office would be.

40.00 a corner seems pretty decent to me. I’ve been buying from an independent guy here in Edmonton for about 6 years now. That’s what he charges me on tires mount balance new valve stems set the pressure sensors and retourques the wheel nuts. He doesn’t have a bunch of kids doing the work either. Last fall a new set went on in 45 minutes. I drove up at 9 am on a Saturday and 45 minutes later I left. Tire season is first come first served. I had been in the day before and picked out my tires.

160.00 doesn’t get you a lot these days. But I feel I’m getting a great price along with exceptional service.

BW
Old 05-17-2024, 06:07 PM

$160 off the rims, installed and balanced.

It is not so much the money as the principal. Every other tire shop is 25 or 30 a tire. You pull in to their shop with their top of the line winter tires on and want to do a seasonal change to their top of the line 3 season tires, both sets purchased from that shop. They then check their computer and see that you have been a loyal customer for over a decade, dozens of tires and thousands of dollars in shop work. Sorry, but that should be worth something.

Canadian Tire was $100 and they did a fine job. I also got a bunch of CT points as it was 20x weekend or something. Balanced perfectly with no vibration and air pressure was perfect as well.
Old 05-17-2024, 08:24 PM

Tirebob, is it okay to store your tires in a well stocked whine cellar?

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone
Old 05-17-2024, 08:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck View Post
Tirebob, is it okay to store your tires in a well stocked whine cellar?
Is $240 a year for two vehicles whining?

You will be fine as long as you store your tires where the sun don't shine.