Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 05-15-2024, 01:13 PM

Default Where do you store your winter tires?

I was just informed that my winter tires should be stored in a warehouse. The dealer just happens to provide such a service for a fee.

Apparently, storing them in a ventilated shed on the north side of the house (literally where the sun don't shine) will cause premature aging. I've been storing tires like this for a long time and have never had any issues.

It seems kind of weird that the tires on my truck are okay to be outside in all conditions, but once I take them off of the vehicle, they need to be kept in a climate controlled environment.

Is this a real thing or is it a plot to separate me from my hard earned cash?
Old 05-15-2024, 01:18 PM

B S
we stored corvette ties in my u heated shop for years
then ford in dv lost a tire on a rim and would not compensate us
idiots

most dealers in dv put them in a unheated or uncooked 40 or 50 foot trailer

or upstairs in uncooled attic

if you have room at home store them at home
Old 05-15-2024, 01:18 PM

I store mine in a warehouse (mine). Can't see a problem. Out of the sun should be fine. Condo owners probably use this service as a convenience. Tire Bob is the man to ask.
Old 05-15-2024, 01:24 PM

I have stored all my tires in an old grainery for years and never seen them deteriorate. It’s not heated or cooled either. Store 4-5 sets with my brothers tires like that.
It’s a plot to separate you from your cash.

Last edited by 1886; 05-15-2024 at 01:33 PM.
Old 05-15-2024, 01:35 PM

Mine sit on a rack in my heated garage. Being in the rack about 4' off of the ground, they don't take up floor space.
Old 05-15-2024, 01:42 PM

My winters get stored in the back corner of the furnace room behind the spare Jeep parts.
Stealerships make a lot of money by conning gullible people. Don't let it be you.

“We seem to be getting closer and closer to a situation where nobody is responsible for what they did but we are all responsible for what somebody else did.”- Thomas Sowell
Old 05-15-2024, 02:05 PM
AO Sponsor

It's BS... There are some things to avoid while storing tires like not having them laying in oils or chemicals and avoid having them stored near electric motors that produce ozone as ozone does cause premature aging. I would also avoid leaving them laying full time in the heat of the sun, buried in a field etc but sitting in covered storage out of the elements and away from extremes of pretty much most things will be just fine. Ideally have them off the ground just in case chemicals/oils etc can leech at them.

This said, temperature controlled warehouses out of the sun and exposure to all manner of things is ideal. Tires will last a long time like that, but for the every day person who is wearing out tires within 6 to 10 years of service I am not going to sweat that other than maybe real specialty compounds like race tires etc.
Bay #6, 1303 44th ave NE
Calgary AB, T2E6L5
bobbybirds@icloud.com
www.urbanexp.ca

Leviticus 23: 4-18: "he that scopeth a lever, or thou allow a scope to lie with a lever as it would lie with a bolt action, shall have created an abomination and shall perish in the fires of Hell forever and ever.....plus GST" - huntinstuff April 07/23
Old 05-15-2024, 02:56 PM

They do deteriorate eventually, Toyota said 6 yrs for a lot vehicle, and they would not do tire swaps. I just took 4 480-12 tire assys off my boat and utility trailers, last time either turnred a wheel was 3 yrs ago, boat is about 2005 or 6, utility trailer is about the same, original tires, I took them off as I figured it was time for new ones. Enclosed trailer tires are 11 yrs old, shud do them too.
Old 05-15-2024, 03:44 PM

In my shed, in back yard. I have a complaint form they can fill out if there is a problem but so far it seems they are happy.

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone
Old 05-15-2024, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck View Post
In my shed, in back yard. I have a complaint form they can fill out if there is a problem but so far it seems they are happy.
I use the same for various folks I interact with....
Attached Files
File Type: pdf hurt feeling report.pdf (480.7 KB, 35 views)
Old 05-15-2024, 04:02 PM

In the Sea-Can at my son’s place.
I have 4, 3” diameter vents installed in the Sea-Can.

There are no absolutes
Old 05-15-2024, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Sky View Post
I was just informed that my winter tires should be stored in a warehouse. The dealer just happens to provide such a service for a fee.

Apparently, storing them in a ventilated shed on the north side of the house (literally where the sun don't shine) will cause premature aging. I've been storing tires like this for a long time and have never had any issues.

It seems kind of weird that the tires on my truck are okay to be outside in all conditions, but once I take them off of the vehicle, they need to be kept in a climate controlled environment.

That would be the last time that I darkened that particular dealership's door. Just when a person thinks that car dealerships can't get any greasier, they go and prove me wrong. That being said, I haven't purchased a vehicle from a dealership for nearly 20 years.
Old 05-15-2024, 04:43 PM

The whole idea is to hold onto you as a cash cow customer, fees for storage, fees for changing, fees for rotating, ooh we see your tires are older than 5 years and we can put new ones on, and on and on. I usually have 4 to 5 vehicles with summer and winter tires mounted on rims, store them in whichever shed has space. Changing them myself gives me info on how my brakes ,lines, and shocks are, proper inflation and torque, the kind of important things I don't leave to trainees.
Old 05-15-2024, 06:00 PM

Default Another ?

When stored should they be filled with air, under pressure or let the air out?
WDF
Old 05-15-2024, 06:06 PM

On a rack in my unheated garage. I do the tires swap myself too.
Old 05-15-2024, 06:50 PM
AO Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Who Da Fisherman View Post
When stored should they be filled with air, under pressure or let the air out?
WDF
You are fine having air in the tires like normal when being stored. There is some discussion on airing down a bit when tires are on a car being stored long term but I have never felt the need. If I have compounds so specialty they are getting flat spotted or cracking I will store a car on rollers or jacked up.
Bay #6, 1303 44th ave NE
Calgary AB, T2E6L5
bobbybirds@icloud.com
www.urbanexp.ca

Leviticus 23: 4-18: "he that scopeth a lever, or thou allow a scope to lie with a lever as it would lie with a bolt action, shall have created an abomination and shall perish in the fires of Hell forever and ever.....plus GST" - huntinstuff April 07/23
Old 05-16-2024, 08:38 AM

On one of those sketchy, $50-on-sale Canadian Tire racks mounted about 6' off the ground. Just high enough for my head not to hit it, but high enough that I nearly kill myself every time I'm putting on/taking off. lol
Old 05-16-2024, 09:40 AM

On my vehicles. I switched to all weather tires. They work really good for what I need. No more storing or switching and with my poor health can’t switch my own anymore anyhow. Got tired of that and I don’t have my trucking business anymore so no shop to store them in for my several vehicles. Talked to Tire Bob before I went that route. His info is great. If I lived down south he would have my business. Glad I switched to all weathers,works for me maybe not others. Way way better than all seasons.
Old 05-16-2024, 10:08 AM

I store All my winter tires on my truck and wifes Cherokee. Always buy good quality, good winter grip, lots of plys and they show limited wear in summer.
Old 05-16-2024, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck View Post
Same here with at times 3 sets in the shed. Never an issue. Got 8 years out of my last set of winters for f350 so something must be going right!
Old 05-16-2024, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Grey Wolf View Post
I store All my winter tires on my truck and wifes Cherokee. Always buy good quality, good winter grip, lots of plys and they show limited wear in summer.
Yup, I run Mud & Snow rated on both vehicles, never had an issue.
Old 05-16-2024, 10:54 AM

When we lived in Calgary, we stored them under a large spruce tree in the back yard. Out of the sun and protected from a surprisingly large amount of weather. We stored the kids' tires there as well, they referred to it as the tire tree.

Now they are stored in an un-insulated storage shed.

ARG

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjemac View Post
It has been scientifically proven that a 308 round will not leave your property -- they essentially fall dead at the fence line. But a 38 round, when fired from a handgun, will of its own accord leave your property and destroy any small schools nearby.
Old 05-17-2024, 08:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outbound View Post
On a rack in my unheated garage. I do the tires swap myself too.
two sets of rims store in garage as well
Old 05-17-2024, 08:09 AM

I used to run one set of tires year round, to reduce cost and to simplify things, but since switching to studded winters on my pickup, there is a significant improvement in winter. And given that I bought my first studded tires on factory takeoff aluminum rims, with sensors for $600, it really hasn't cost me anything extra to run two sets. And I change over the tires/wheels myself, when I am ready, so I am no hauling them around, and making appointments.
Old 05-17-2024, 08:40 AM

On my SUV
I bought all weather tires this year came with free rotation see how these work out
Old 05-17-2024, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Sky View Post

Dealers…. Lying buncha scumbags. Seriously they’ll look a customer right in the eye and lie to them for money.
Old 05-17-2024, 10:35 AM

Not all dealers are shysters, there are a lot of good ones, just takes a bit of work to find them. I only have winter tires for one vehicle, the rest I run the same tires year round. The spare wheels are stored at my dealer, no charge, and they rotate them spring and fall as part of the twice yearly oil changes. They charge me less for the oil change than Mr Lube would. I could do the oil changes myself for a bit less, but I don't want to. They also rotate the tires on my pickup annually for me when they do the annual oil change on it. I have NEVER had a problem dealing with them and get excellent service. Since both vehicles are under warranty I prefer to use the dealer.
Old 05-17-2024, 03:48 PM

I always liked dealing with Kal. Have winters and summers from them on my car and ATs on the truck. I was going to go to a dedicated winter summer combo on the new truck this year.

$160 for a seasonal change over cost them a customer. I like Nokian Tires but there are others equal or better and change overs at most places is $100-$120.

I was going with the new Nokian Outpost on my pick up this spring and studded Hakkapeliittas for winter. I am also due for new Hakkapeliittas on the car this fall. So they are out nearly $5000 for the sake of gouging an extra $20-50 dollars for a seasonal change out.

I am not great at math but you would think someone in their head office would be.
Old 05-17-2024, 04:20 PM
AO Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by MK2750 View Post
I always liked dealing with Kal. Have winters and summers from them on my car and ATs on the truck. I was going to go to a dedicated winter summer combo on the new truck this year.

$160 for a seasonal change over cost them a customer. I like Nokian Tires but there are others equal or better and change overs at most places is $100-$120.

I was going with the new Nokian Outpost on my pick up this spring and studded Hakkapeliittas for winter. I am also due for new Hakkapeliittas on the car this fall. So they are out nearly $5000 for the sake of gouging an extra $20-50 dollars for a seasonal change out.

I am not great at math but you would think someone in their head office would be.
Honestly, that isn't that bad. Maybe a little high depending on the specifics of the job but certainly not the worst and I am no defender of Kal. Even I charge $120 to $140 for most vehicles for 4 dismount, remount and balance these days and more for certain jobs (think big wheels super low profile runflats, oversized offroad tires etc) and I am booked up weeks in advance.

Fact is it is expensive as heck nowadays to run a proper quality shop and changeover and balancing on it's own is a money losing proposition to begin with, unless of course you are a shop using it as an add on sales tool by selling brake jobs and suspension work and the c/o is the lost leader. Sadly a lot of unscrupulous shops take advantage of people who know no better in this regard and end up paying for jobs they don't need.

At my shop I don't do any mechanical and survive entirely on tires and wheels and if I was to do nothing but labour I would not be around long even at those prices. It isn't the gravy people seem to think.
Bay #6, 1303 44th ave NE
Calgary AB, T2E6L5
bobbybirds@icloud.com
www.urbanexp.ca

Old 05-17-2024, 04:31 PM

MK2750 Does Kal just change summer tires that are mounted on rims, for winter tires on separate rims or are they actually swapping the tires on the same rim. I know in my case I have two full sets of tires and rims so the swap is pretty easy. If they are having to dismount, mount and balance, at each changeover then that price doesn't seem all that bad to me.