Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 04-02-2024, 05:27 PM

Default Water in propane ???

RV furnace not staying on. It lites, gives heat for 20-30 seconds shuts off then relites and gives heat again. Checked the thermostat, sail switch, high limit switch, burner, mother board, fuses, power and anything I could think of. Still had intermittent heat. Took propane tanks off and disconnected fuel line from furnace and used air compressor to blow thru the line, reconnected everything and now we have continuous heat. Is it possible to have water in the line from propane. Line was connected at both ends so nothing else could have gotten in.
Old 04-02-2024, 05:45 PM

Is any part of the line rubber (like the pig tails)? They will rot and gum things up.

Water is unlikely. Liquid propane is about -40c so if there was water in the tank it would be frozen at the bottom.

ARG

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjemac View Post
It has been scientifically proven that a 308 round will not leave your property -- they essentially fall dead at the fence line. But a 38 round, when fired from a handgun, will of its own accord leave your property and destroy any small schools nearby.
Old 04-02-2024, 06:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Au revoir, Gopher View Post
Is any part of the line rubber (like the pig tails)? They will rot and gum things up.

Water is unlikely. Liquid propane is about -40c so if there was water in the tank it would be frozen at the bottom.

ARG
The liquid propane in the tank isn't-40

(Although, mid January it probably was)
Old 04-02-2024, 07:11 PM

It happens. That’s a trick some of the bulk outfits cheat the people. This is common in the US. Times are getting tough and things like this will most likely start happening. Water in fuel/gas is another one.
Old 04-02-2024, 07:11 PM

Oil build up in line , it happens. You blowing out the line is correct to fix it
Old 04-02-2024, 07:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by antlercarver View Post
RV furnace not staying on. It lites, gives heat for 20-30 seconds shuts off then relites and gives heat again. Checked the thermostat, sail switch, high limit switch, burner, mother board, fuses, power and anything I could think of. Still had intermittent heat. Took propane tanks off and disconnected fuel line from furnace and used air compressor to blow thru the line, reconnected everything and now we have continuous heat. Is it possible to have water in the line from propane. Line was connected at both ends so nothing else could have gotten in.
Hate to. Say it but have you checked the inlet air filter. I got had that way once.

Don
Old 04-02-2024, 08:27 PM

Clean out your regulator, part of the oilfield camp shack maintenance man's duties.

Probably better to disassemble and wash out than to blow out, but whatever works.
Old 04-02-2024, 08:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mac1983 View Post
Clean out your regulator, part of the oilfield camp shack maintenance man's duties.
I don't want to derail but how would you go about cleaning the regulator?
Old 04-02-2024, 08:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Au revoir, Gopher View Post

ARG
30+ years ago before ethanol was added to vehicle gas, ice crystals{water}in -30 gas would freeze off the fuel line. We had to buy small containers of ethanol to add to the gas tank.
Old 04-02-2024, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dom4 View Post
I don't want to derail but how would you go about cleaning the regulator?
Disassemble and rinse out, they get a build up over time.
Old 04-02-2024, 09:06 PM

Quote:
30+ years ago before ethanol was added to vehicle gas, ice crystals{water}in -30 gas would freeze off the fuel line. We had to buy small containers of ethanol to add to the gas tank.
That would have been methyl hydrate that we used to use.
Old 04-02-2024, 09:09 PM

Quote:
More likely glycol that is in the propane.
One of the regular tasks as an operator was draining the glycol off of the bullet that was being produced into a few times each day.
Old 04-02-2024, 09:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mac1983 View Post
Disassemble and rinse out, they get a build up over time.
Awesome, That is really good to know I appreciate it.
Old 04-02-2024, 10:16 PM

There is no water in propane. Oil in the line is possible. Valves on the tank should be shut when not in use. Gas in the lines should be allowed to drain off, thus preventing oil build up. Also if you opened the valves too quickly the excess flow built into the valve could have snapped close reducing your gas flow.
Old 04-02-2024, 10:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frost Fighter View Post
There is no water in propane. Oil in the line is possible. Valves on the tank should be shut when not in use. Gas in the lines should be allowed to drain off, thus preventing oil build up. Also if you opened the valves too quickly the excess flow built into the valve could have snapped close reducing your gas flow.

I had this happen after getting a tank filled. BBQ shop in town advised me to turn off the gas wait a bit then open the valve very slowly. Did this and used the BBQ to cook a couple steaks, have not had a problem since.
- older 6x fixed scopes with fine X or target dot.
Old 04-03-2024, 08:15 AM

Default Ethanol ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Battle Rat View Post
That would have been methyl hydrate that we used to use.
Yes you are right.
Old 04-03-2024, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewey Cox View Post
The liquid propane in the tank isn't-40

(Although, mid January it probably was)
I replaced the pins & bushings in an excavator. I put a propane tank upside down in a pail & slowly drained about 4-6" of it & put the bushings in it to shrink them for the install...... it was -40.
Old 04-03-2024, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reeves1 View Post
I replaced the pins & bushings in an excavator. I put a propane tank upside down in a pail & slowly drained about 4-6" of it & put the bushings in it to shrink them for the install...... it was -40.
It also wasn't in the tank any more.
Old 04-03-2024, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Lick the tank and let us know if your tongue sticks to it.
What you experienced was the refrigeration process of a rapid gas pressure drop.
Old 04-03-2024, 09:27 AM

Sorry guys, most small bottles of deicer were isopropyl alcohol. Now that we have gas with ethanol no longer required, great stuff.
PS Some suppliers of propane have lots of heavier hydrocarbon that screws up regulators, also collects in bottom of very old bulk propane tanks.
Old 04-03-2024, 09:29 AM

Quote:
At -40 it was a gas, not liquid and would be gone. Boiling point of propane is -42C. Heat is pressure. The only reason propane is a liquid in a steel cylinder is because it is under great pressure,100 to 200 psi.
Old 04-03-2024, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lannie View Post
At -40 it was a gas, not liquid and would be gone. Boiling point of propane is -42C. Heat is pressure. The only reason propane is a liquid in a steel cylinder is because it is under great pressure,100 to 200 psi.

Stayed a liquid for a long time. I had time to shrink all the bushings for the boom, stick & bucket pins.
Old 04-03-2024, 11:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6.5 shooter View Post
[/B]

I had this happen after getting a tank filled. BBQ shop in town advised me to turn off the gas wait a bit then open the valve very slowly. Did this and used the BBQ to cook a couple steaks, have not had a problem since.
We had a big commercial bbq that we travelled all over the province with.
If we opened the tanks too fast it would lock up every time.

It is a “thing”
Old 04-04-2024, 12:47 AM

I work at a frac plant where we produce spec propane that gets loaded into rail cars and shipped out. Yes, water in propane is a thing, because of the process needed to remove the sulphur from the propane. We would run a freeze test twice a day to ensure water wasn't in the propane. Water would sit at the very bottom of the cylinder and would have a hard time reaching the valve

But it can also be excess butane with the propane or the propane wasn't flashing off and the liquid propane wasn't flowing well enough through your lines. Or there could have been an obstruction.