Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 08-12-2007, 09:43 PM

Default NEF rifles got a question

Just wondering if anyone can tell me if I can get a 223 barrel and convert my 22-250 into a 223 for cheaper shooting at the range and keep my 22-250 for yotes. Or would it just be cheaper to by another gun in the 223?
Old 08-13-2007, 09:03 AM

All I can suggest is you get hold of a dealer for NEF and see what they can drum up for you. Try P&D in Edmonton, or SIR in Winnipeg.
Expect a long delay since the orders are likely once a year, and most likely the orders are already been put in.
Ordering direct from the US is a pretty big PITA and most likely will cost you as much as a new rifle when all is said and done.

There are no absolutes
Old 08-13-2007, 09:04 AM

While NEF does have a barrel accessory progam they don't ship to Canada.

I have heard talk that you can buy a used barrel of a private individual and ship it accross the border but I really don't know the legalities of that. From a Canada customs point of view it is a no brainer it is just a barrel you can buy it without paperwork, but I think the seller is the one at risk from his own laws and I do not understand those.

NEF recommends factory fitting only and if you don't know what your doing there right, but there are guys state side that swap barrels all the time but it is a crap shoot wheather that barrel can be made to work on your frame.

Go to www.graybeardoutdoors.com there is a really active handi group there, lost of good info.

Between tha hassle getting it and the risk it will not work we are better off buying a new gun and atleast with a handi it will not break the bank.
Old 08-13-2007, 06:44 PM

If you just want to save time and money, buy a Stevens in .223, cheap and they shoot very well.