Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 07-20-2023, 07:03 PM

Default Registering a trailer without a vin?

Hey everyone, I have a homemade trailer that was given to me by my grandpa. It has no vin on it as he built it in the 60’s and was always used on the farm. I’d like to get it registered so I can throw my little aluminum boat on it instead of in my truck box. Has anyone gone through this process before? Do I need an inspection? Or do I just walk in and ask to get a vin # for it? Any help is appreciated
Old 07-20-2023, 07:07 PM

https://assignedvin.ca/

They'll send someone to stamp your trailer. They don't do any sort of safety inspection or anything, but they are looking for proof of ownership. I had to show some receipts for parts when I had mine done. I think the main concern is that you aren't trying to get a new vin for a stolen trailer.
Old 07-20-2023, 07:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ormachek View Post

They'll send someone to stamp your trailer. They don't do any sort of safety inspection or anything, but they are looking for proof of ownership. I had to show some receipts for parts when I had mine done. I think the main concern is that you aren't trying to get a new vin for a stolen trailer.
With the trailer being made in the 60’s I can’t imagine there’s any receipts laying around lol, if I had him write me a bill of sale would that work? There won’t be a vin on it obviously that’s my only concern with that
Old 07-20-2023, 07:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckshot82 View Post
With the trailer being made in the 60’s I can’t imagine there’s any receipts laying around lol, if I had him write me a bill of sale would that work? There won’t be a vin on it obviously that’s my only concern with that
He will issue and stamp a vin number on the trailer.

Don't put a fancy paint job on it before he does this. Like my friend did.

He got a new vin issued on an old boat trailer that he restored. He didn't have any issues getting the vin.

Sent from my SM-S901W using Tapatalk
Old 07-20-2023, 07:24 PM

How about some vintage pics of your grandpa (and you maybe) and his trailer?
Old 07-20-2023, 07:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage Bacon View Post
He will issue and stamp a vin number on the trailer.

Don't put a fancy paint job on it before he does this. Like my friend did.

He got a new vin issued on an old boat trailer that he restored. He didn't have any issues getting the vin.

Awesome, it’s rattle canned black currently. I will make sure not to make any changes haha
Old 07-20-2023, 07:52 PM

Quote:
Awesome, it’s rattle canned black currently. I will make sure not to make any changes haha

Instant registration if you paint a small pride flag on it and slap an I Heart Justin decal on the front.
Old 07-20-2023, 07:53 PM

I just went through this again and as the other fellas suggested it’s fairly simple. Go online, answer as many of the questions as you can and pay your money. Then you will get a email or phone call from the guy to arrange a time and place to meet.

But I will say they aren’t all the same skill level. My first home built, the guy came stamped it perfectly, installed the sticker and was out of the yard in 15min max. This time around the guy took over an hour and still managed to mount the riveted on sticker/plate about 10° off plumb, and his stamping is barely legible. Not a big deal, but when you spend weeks building a trailer as perfect as you possibly can, their sloppy workmanship is kind of a **** off.
Old 07-20-2023, 08:59 PM

Quote:
I would think a bill of sale would be good!
Old 07-20-2023, 09:28 PM

Quote:

I've been told it's about a 300. touch ? Some trailers I've seen aren't worth that much.

Grizz

Isaiah 5:8
Old 07-20-2023, 09:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly Adams1 View Post
I've been told it's about a 300. touch ? Some trailers I've seen aren't worth that much.

Grizz
$200 for single axle. $500 for tandem plus
Old 07-20-2023, 09:50 PM

Honestly the hardest part was getting it registered. The lady kept asking me for bill of sale, couldn't seem to understand that i didn't have one because I didn't buy the trailer!
Old 07-20-2023, 10:21 PM

Quote:
Honestly the hardest part was getting it registered. The lady kept asking me for bill of sale, couldn't seem to understand that i didn't have one because I didn't buy the trailer!
It’s asking me for a year, make, and model? What did you put for this if it’s homemade haha
Old 07-21-2023, 06:26 AM

Quote:
It’s asking me for a year, make, and model? What did you put for this if it’s homemade haha
Call it a 1967 home made Grandpa's Special
Old 07-21-2023, 07:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Piker View Post
I just went through this again and as the other fellas suggested it’s fairly simple. Go online, answer as many of the questions as you can and pay your money. Then you will get a email or phone call from the guy to arrange a time and place to meet.

But I will say they aren’t all the same skill level. My first home built, the guy came stamped it perfectly, installed the sticker and was out of the yard in 15min max. This time around the guy took over an hour and still managed to mount the riveted on sticker/plate about 10° off plumb, and his stamping is barely legible. Not a big deal, but when you spend weeks building a trailer as perfect as you possibly can, their sloppy workmanship is kind of a **** off.
I believe they’re all ex cops from what I was told. Kind of a retirement gig for them I think.
Old 07-21-2023, 08:18 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
I have an older home built trailer built around 1980 I believe.
I have never had any paperwork for it, no issue though.

This spring I talked to my local registry office about getting it road legal, IE: plates for it.

She said she'd need a VIN, but nothing else.

She gave me a number to call, to get a VIN for it.
I called the number a month ago,last week they called and said they'd be in my area this week.

I expected all kinds of questions that I couldn't answer and most likely an inspection that the trailer couldn't pass.

I need not have worried. The process was fast and painless. They could see the trailer was old, well maintained and street legal except for plates.

They asked a few simple questions while they made up a VIN plate.

I now have a fully street legal trailer, plates and all.

George Bernard Shaw
Old 07-21-2023, 08:21 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly Adams1 View Post

Grizz
The Vin cost me nothing, all I had to pay for was the plates once I had a VIN.
Pardon my memory, it was only a week ago, but I don't recall the exact amount, under a $100.00 all in is all I know.

George Bernard Shaw
Old 07-21-2023, 11:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KegRiver View Post
Pardon my memory, it was only a week ago, but I don't recall the exact amount, under a $100.00 all in is all I know.
Would you by any chance be willing to pm me the number that you called? It would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!
Old 07-22-2023, 08:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KegRiver View Post
I did that once, long ago, cost was minimal and I got to make up my own serial number, same as my brand with a 1 added.

Grizz

Isaiah 5:8
Old 07-23-2023, 07:09 PM

I just tried to use the website someone posted to register a old car hauler. Tadem axle is 500$.

No thank you... 500$ is unreaosnable fee for someone to come put a VIN on a old trailer.
Old 07-23-2023, 09:35 PM

Quote:
Think of something cool. It will be on your registration for the life of the trailer. You might even hand it down to your kids, and their kids, and so on, and it will live on forever.

Tell them it's a 1969 cougar hunter.

Or a milf mover...

Those are good units.