Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 07-11-2023, 09:58 PM

Default Shotgun Modified Choke With Slugs?

I've got a 12ga shotgun with a smooth barrel and a modified choke, and I want to use it to fire slugs.

Will slugs work with the modified choke, or should I get something a bit more open? I asked at the range, and one of the staff there recommended just taking the choke out and using the gun without it for slugs. I wasn't too sure about that, because I don't know whether slugs can damage the threads like shot can.

Would using it without a choke be alright, or would it be better to buy a different choke and, if so, which type?

Thanks in advance!
Old 07-11-2023, 11:05 PM

I’m new to the slug game, but I would say to not fire anything with the choke removed. That will have a possibility of thread damage.

My new slug barrel is cylinder bore, however I know there have been slugs tested through other chokes. Hopefully someone here has more info than me.
Old 07-12-2023, 12:24 AM

1000's of slugs plus have been put through a modified choke...maybe not the best but it works well enough...do not unscrew a choke and fire the slug across the threads
Old 07-12-2023, 04:40 AM

Foster style slugs will swage through any tightness of choke,(to a point) that’s what the “rifling” on them is for. For screw in chokes, especially thin walled tubes I’d be inclined to not send a steady diet of slugs through a modified tube, since the buying of a new choke tube of improved cylinder or cylinder choke is so easily done.

Ideally the Foster slug works best in a cylinder bore choke.

FWIW
With older fixed choke steel barrels, there was zero issue shooting Foster style slugs through full chokes back in the day.

Never fire any shotgun with screw in chokes, without a choke tube installed!

There are no absolutes
Old 07-12-2023, 05:31 AM

Default slugs

Fosters are fine through any choke just don't use sabots as they are designed for rifled barrels.Some of the most accurate chokes for Fosters for me have been modified.Every gun is different. I have an old Savage 24 .22/.410 that is FC and a bean can isn't safe at 50 yards with slugs especially with the 3" Bear Russian slugs.
Old 07-12-2023, 06:45 AM

If you have changeable chokes it would be best to get a cylinder choke or a choke designed for slugs as you May swage the modified choke into the threads. When that happens they are a bear to remove. No don’t shoot it with no choke threaded in
Old 07-12-2023, 05:35 PM

Thanks very much for all of your help - I certainly won't be firing it without the choke fitted. It seemed weird advice at the time, so I left the slugs in the box.

Looks like I'll be picking up a cylinder choke soon

Thanks again!
Old 07-12-2023, 06:09 PM

Could you find a choke with rifling in it?