Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 07-02-2023, 10:14 AM

Default Gun safe options

Hey all,

Sure this has been done and done again on here and have read through the old threads however I am looking to upgrade my tin can gun safe to something fire rated (and still entry level I get it) but was wondering if I could get some opinions on the choices if you have them or have gone down this road before. Thanks in advance

I have narrowed it down to these 3 which with Cabelas clearance puts them all in the same price range.

https://www.cabelas.ca/product/15968...ital-lock-safe Lots of bells and whistles on this but sure the quality lacks to make up for it

https://www.cabelas.ca/product/88293...lt-24-gun-safe Looks basic but sure for entry level this is ok but I kind of want the door hangers/shelves and such

Then there is the Costco one which on an old thread was pretty highly regarded for a couple reasons including no hassle returns and free shipping.

https://www.costco.ca/sports-afield-...100986471.html
Old 07-02-2023, 10:24 AM

Campfire temp is around 1600, house fires can hit 2000. Hottest at the roof of course but if you put the safe in a basement, you get water damage (from a basement flood or fire suppression)

Buy whichever one you like best, just understand your window for “fire protection” is very very small. Guns don’t tend to survive serious house fires.
Old 07-02-2023, 10:53 PM

I'm kind of a safe snob, and would get any of those, but I'm pretty sure I saw the Costco one on sale today, Red Deer store. Also, Peavey Mart had some on sale as well.
Old 07-02-2023, 11:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trochu View Post
I'm kind of a safe snob, and would get any of those, but I'm pretty sure I saw the Costco one on sale today, Red Deer store. Also, Peavey Mart had some on sale as well.
Would or wouldn’t? Haha.
Old 07-02-2023, 11:42 PM

From my experience the costco safes have a very flimsy locking mechanism. I have the cabelas 34 gun safe. There's no way to get 34 firearms in there. But it is much better quality than the Costco safe I had.

Sent from my SM-G970W using Tapatalk
Old 07-03-2023, 06:44 AM

I have the Costco one, very happy with it. I don't find the door flimsy at all. Solid and heavy although the fire rating is just average. They seem to come on sale every fall.

Thomas Sowell
Old 07-03-2023, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishnguy View Post
Would or wouldn’t? Haha.
Indeed! I would not.

I'd be looking at auctions, FB, Kijiji, etc. for a used safe. Not a RSC.
Old 07-03-2023, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage Bacon View Post
From my experience the costco safes have a very flimsy locking mechanism. I have the cabelas 34 gun safe. There's no way to get 34 firearms in there. But it is much better quality than the Costco safe I had.

Sent from my SM-G970W using Tapatalk
I think those ratings are for firearms without scopes. Scopes take up a lot of room
Old 07-03-2023, 09:45 AM

Thank you all. Sounds like I should keep my tin can for a while and revisit this when there are some better sales
Old 07-03-2023, 09:48 AM

Watch Peavy Mart and Canadian Tire for sales as well.

Thomas Sowell
Old 07-03-2023, 12:40 PM

Just took a quick peruse of FB, found this for $1,500.00.
Link

Maybe it exceeds your budget, and doesn't look as pretty, but it's more than double the safe than those found at Costco/Cabelas/Peavy Mart/Canadian Tire/etc.

Outside my budget, but Wingenback in Edmonton usually has some pretty good ones as well.