Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 07-01-2023, 10:00 AM

Default .303 ammo

Finally found some .303 ammo of two manufacturers to boot, in a local store. Both are FMJ, sure can't hunt with this stuff. What gives ?

Grizz

Isaiah 5:8
Old 07-01-2023, 10:54 AM

Cabela's south Edmonton had a whack in 180gr WW... idk how much is left
Old 07-01-2023, 12:00 PM

It has started showing up most places fairly recently

https://store.theshootingcentre.com/...ge=303+British
Old 07-01-2023, 12:44 PM

What gives? An old cartridge popular in a minimal market place. Companies are going to focus on the new and popular loadings and maybe make a small production run of these other cartridges once a year. Same reason I can’t find 35 Remington every time I go into a store but it always shows up around august/September.
Old 07-01-2023, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordtruckin View Post
What gives? An old cartridge popular in a minimal market place. Companies are going to focus on the new and popular loadings and maybe make a small production run of these other cartridges once a year. Same reason I can’t find 35 Remington every time I go into a store but it always shows up around august/September.
FMJ, military type bullets don't help the hunters though, who are still the majority of users.

Grizz

Old 07-01-2023, 03:45 PM

If someone is stuck, I have some commercial 303 Br that I could sell (local Calgary sale)
Old 07-01-2023, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly Adams1 View Post
FMJ, military type bullets don't help the hunters though, who are still the majority of users.

Grizz

Somehow I doubt that.
I would guess many more rounds are fired by plinking, range shooting and so on each year, than by hunting and sighting-in.
Actual hunting uses a miniscule amount of ammunition compared to other disciplines of shooting.
Old 07-01-2023, 06:34 PM

Wink

Ya, gotta broaden your search radius.

Try Swamp Donkey Outdoors.
Or,
Start reloading, or get a .308Win, in a package rifle.

There are no absolutes
Old 07-01-2023, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmay View Post
Somehow I doubt that.
I would guess many more rounds are fired by plinking, range shooting and so on each year, than by hunting and sighting-in.
Actual hunting uses a miniscule amount of ammunition compared to other disciplines of shooting.
I agree! Look at the volume of fmj plinking rounds produced vs hunting. Even if the op is considering only the 303, I’d say way more folks that have an old enfield are using them at a range vs hunting. Sad as itMay be, the 303 is an old and relatively antiquated round when compared to modern cartridges. Not saying it doesn’t work or isn’t good but the 303 never caught on like the 3006and isn’t really popular. Can’t say as I know of many if any major manufacturer that chamber a new rifle in 303. Look at it this way, even the Canadian Rangers turned the 303 in. That’s saying something.
Old 07-01-2023, 10:11 PM

There’s lots of it around, and been that way for months.
I roll my own, and most of it is fmj.
Makes a better splash on steel.
Old 07-02-2023, 12:22 AM

I stocked up on ppu sp at 40 a box a few months ago.
Old 07-02-2023, 08:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordtruckin View Post
I agree! Look at the volume of fmj plinking rounds produced o. Even if the op is considering only the 303, I’d say way more folks that have an old enfield are using them at a range vs hunting. Sad as itMay be, the 303 is an old and relatively antiquated round when compared to modern cartridges. Not saying it doesn’t work or isn’t good but the 303 never caught on like the 3006and isn’t really popular. Can’t say as I know of many if any major manufacturer that chamber a new rifle in 303. Look at it this way, even the Canadian Rangers turned the 303 in. That’s saying something.
Rangers stopped using 303 because running out of spare parts. Lee Enfield hasn't been produced for over 50 years in no4 issue. Eventually spare parts run out. Nothing wrong with rifle or cartridge, just not cost effective to keep it going. When government choses a firearm they also add in costs of maintenance. Once parts aren't available then firearm becomes obsolete.

I have a Tikka Artic and it's better than the Lee Enfield. I hate to say that, but overall better.
Old 07-02-2023, 09:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick284 View Post
Ya, gotta broaden your search radius.

Try Swamp Donkey Outdoors.
Or,
Start reloading, or get a .308Win, in a package rifle.
I do reload, bullets were my first choice, but the seem to be hen's teeth as well and counted myself lucky to find some bullets at the Olds gun show, but they are a little light for my little bear gun , which I like to carry on occasion. I could try the Dum Dum routine if I get desperate.

Grizz

Old 07-02-2023, 11:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hogie View Post
Rangers stopped using 303 because running out of spare parts. Lee Enfield hasn't been produced for over 50 years in no4 issue. Eventually spare parts run out. Nothing wrong with rifle or cartridge, just not cost effective to keep it going. When government choses a firearm they also add in costs of maintenance. Once parts aren't available then firearm becomes obsolete.

I have a Tikka Artic and it's better than the Lee Enfield. I hate to say that, but overall better.
Ive run into the same thing recently at work. Our duty pistols were at the end of their service life and while our old guns were fine, technology has changed and advanced to where they were outdated so we went to striker fired from DA/SA. Kind of like the m1 garand, great rifle, probably not what I want to take into a modern battle.

Am jealous of the tikka arctic! I’d love to run one suppressed with a eotech, but they’re rare stateside and they are proud of them as shown in their price when you find one.
Old 07-03-2023, 09:20 AM
AO Sponsor

https://store.prophetriver.com/feder...nt-20ct-303as/
Old 07-03-2023, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly Adams1 View Post
I do reload, bullets were my first choice, but the seem to be hen's teeth as well and counted myself lucky to find some bullets at the Olds gun show, but they are a little light for my little bear gun , which I like to carry on occasion. I could try the Dum Dum routine if I get desperate.

Grizz
Again, refine and expand your searches.
Projectiles have been somewhat available even through the darkest of this drought, you just had to get looking for them, and there’s hardly any shoppes that wouldn’t ship them parcel post.

There are no absolutes
Old 07-03-2023, 11:50 AM

I know a couple of local shops have had hornady 150s and 174s off and on over the last couple years.. even speers available locally. Buy when every you find them and build a stock pile.
Old 07-03-2023, 11:59 AM

Just checked and Bartons in GP lists 159gr interlocks, 174gr interlocks and 150 gr speer hot cores for the 303(.311) listed instock right now.