Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 04-24-2023, 09:45 AM

Question Molly Needs Ram Value Advice....

Hay, AO folks....Some of you are now aware that my dear Hublet, Jim Simpson, left me last July due to cancer, and I am sadly tasked with finding homes for some of his prized possessions. I am keeping a few things that I have room for, but the big stuff like his three trophy rams will need to be sold, hopefully. I now have the Alberta Rocky Mountain bighorn plugged and registered, the BC Stone ram is in the process of getting a permit approved (and was pinned and registered a couple weeks ago) and I am still in limbo with the NWT office as to how to proceed with getting the Dall registered and pinned somehow.
These were all taken roughly in the late 70s, we think. I have also had them all officially scored by the Willow Valley Trophy Club. The bighorn is a good one, at 192 1/8. It was taken in Blind Canyon, south of Pincher Creek. The others are not B&C material but still nice; the Stone's (from Lynn Ross's area at Pink Mountain) scored 148 7/8 and the Dall (from Stan Burrell's area in the Mackenzie Mountains) is 155 7/8. I have had a couple opinions on the bighorn from relatives and friends who are sheep outfitters, and I thought a close friend was going to buy it but I think his wife may be putting her foot down. He offered $5K. Another guy who learned of it offered $3800. I have had others tell me those prices are too low. I have no idea what to ask for the other two. Due to their age, recaping is probably a good idea, which of course would add to the buyer's costs.
Anyway, I finally decided to come on here as I know a lot of you guys are sheep nuts. You can PM me, too. I am posting a few photos, which are not ideal as our landlord friends won't allow them to hang on the 120 year old lath and plaster walls! I'll try and take some better ones, once I get a friend to help pack them outside and hang them on a tree or something.
As always, I appreciate any advice.

Saving one animal won't change the world, but the world will change for that one animal!

Old 04-24-2023, 10:01 AM

Contact a reputable taxidermist they will be more accurate than most at estimating the value
Old 04-24-2023, 10:13 AM

Beauty Rams Molly. Hope some rich American buys them for his hunting lodge . Condolences on the loss of your Hubby.
Old 04-24-2023, 10:34 AM

My condolences....
Old 04-24-2023, 11:19 AM

You related to Frank and Stan, if so they do not want them.
Old 04-24-2023, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sage 13 View Post
You related to Frank and Stan, if so they do not want them.
Yes, Jim was related to them. They have lots of their own, I'm sure!

Saving one animal won't change the world, but the world will change for that one animal!

Old 04-24-2023, 04:42 PM

There should be a hunter’s museum where all these great trophies from yesteryear go. Kind of like a monument to sheep hunting’s glory days and the old timers who did it over the past 100 years. I can think of a number of guys whose mounts could be in it.
Old 04-25-2023, 05:34 AM

One alternative: Donate them to a conservation charity, and get a donation tax credit. Get an appraisal done first so there's no questioning of the donated values.
Old 04-25-2023, 06:26 AM

I’m not sure how you would go about it, but the American avenue is definitely the most likely to pay more… it all depends what you want out of it; just dollars at the end of the day, or to have a loved one have them to remember Jim by.

I believe companies like Cabelas or other sports shops are also always looking for more mounts all the time.
Old 04-25-2023, 08:33 AM

Thanks for the suggestions so far. If I could afford to just give them away, I would, but I am hoping to replace my older SUV soon, and these would help and Jimmy would not have minded. He thought about selling them off years ago, actually, as we have been downsizing for some time. Just found out our rental house will be sold in the fall, which adds a new dimension of stress to everything!

I just thought there may be some guys here who have helped sell mounts for others, or sold one of their own. I'll follow up on some leads I got, in the meantime.

Old 04-25-2023, 09:48 AM

Appropriate auction might be a viable option.

Grizz

Isaiah 5:8