Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 11-20-2022, 08:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cross Eyed Cowboy View Post
In a move that quickly received international backlash, the World Cup host country of Qatar has banned the sale of beer in or near arenas where matches will be played. With beer sales outlawed, the World Cup's estimated 1 million attendees will be forced to just sit there and watch soccer.

FIFA organizers responded to Qatar's alcohol ban by flopping onto the ground and screaming as if gravely injured.

"What's the point of watching soccer if you can't get plastered enough to not have to watch soccer?" one high ranking FIFA offical stated.

Long-time FIFA sponsor, Budweiser, expressed regret at not being a vital part of soccer's tradition of fans getting blindly drunk and fighting one another rather than watching an incredibly dull, tedious sport.

*BOOM*!! Mic drop

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone
Old 11-20-2022, 09:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waldedw View Post
I love watching soccer when my granddaughters are playing, other than that I can't really say it turns my crank.

I did go to the qualifier against Costa Rica in Edm last year in Nov, took my granddaughters who both play club soccer, they were pumped which made it all worth while.

Pretty much sums up my view on most sports. Preferred watching my kids play in the local rec league than watch the professionals.

Not that I don’t appreciate the talent and effort put in by professionals. Just prefer to spend my discretionary funds elsewhere.
Old 11-20-2022, 09:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cross Eyed Cowboy View Post
In a move that quickly received international backlash, the World Cup host country of Qatar has banned the sale of beer in or near arenas where matches will be played. With beer sales outlawed, the World Cup's estimated 1 million attendees will be forced to just sit there and watch soccer.

FIFA organizers responded to Qatar's alcohol ban by flopping onto the ground and screaming as if gravely injured.

"What's the point of watching soccer if you can't get plastered enough to not have to watch soccer?" one high ranking FIFA offical stated.

Long-time FIFA sponsor, Budweiser, expressed regret at not being a vital part of soccer's tradition of fans getting blindly drunk and fighting one another rather than watching an incredibly dull, tedious sport.
Seeing as how Budweiser supposedly sponsored this to the tune of $75 million, it will be interesting to see how this effects future sponsorship, or if there will be any legal action, as a result.
Old 11-20-2022, 09:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewey Cox View Post
Well, I'll do my part by not attending, and not watching any of it.
Who's with me?
There's always curling for you!
Old 11-20-2022, 09:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Flyguy View Post
There's always curling for you!
At least curlers don't flop around on the ground faking injury, if someone touches them.
Old 11-20-2022, 09:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
At least curlers don't flop around on the ground faking injury, if someone touches them.
That's true. When curler's hit the ground/ice (especially seniors) there's usually no faking of injury.
Old 11-21-2022, 01:30 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Soccer is a tuff sport, the tuff part is in the stands chucking knuckles and chugging beer

Other then that why go?

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 11-21-2022, 06:06 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 58thecat View Post
Soccer is a tuff sport, the tuff part is in the stands chucking knuckles and chugging beer

Other then that why go?

Or be an official and make a questionable call....the players may be high talented actors occasionally but the potential violence surrounding the game is over the top.

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 11-21-2022, 06:31 AM

Guys it’s one of those….. if ya don’t play it ya don’t get it. There’s a lot happening on and off the ball.

Watching England vs Iran right now.

Iran really trying the hard tackles to shake up England.

Tis not working. England pressing now.

The sport requires extreme fitness and cunning.

And a waist size of less than 38….. wayy less.

3- nil!!

Great form boys!
"I don't always troll, only on days that end in Y."

Last edited by bessiedog; 11-21-2022 at 06:46 AM.
Old 11-21-2022, 06:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 58thecat View Post

Other then that why go?

The players aren't up to body contact. so the fans riot, and throw things instead. At least 125 people were killed in one riot by fans. And the fans get banned for rioting and yelling chants that are found offensive.
Old 11-21-2022, 07:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bessiedog View Post
Guys it’s one of those….. if ya don’t play it ya don’t get it. There’s a lot happening on and off the ball.

Watching England vs Iran right now.

Iran really trying the hard tackles to shake up England.

Tis not working. England pressing now.

The sport requires extreme fitness and cunning.

And a waist size of less than 38….. wayy less.

3- nil!!

Great form boys!
This..

Iykyk.

Those were some great goals..
Old 11-21-2022, 07:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bessiedog View Post
This is the truth. I played soccer for 12 years, 3 of those at a pretty high level. I enjoy watching soccer because I understand the nuances of the game.

There's sports I don't watch because I don't understand the attraction. Hockey is one of them and basketball is the most pointless game in history in my opinion.

Guess it's a good thing I don't decide what everyone should to watch.

That said, FIFA and the corruption that surrounds the world cup can eff off.
Old 11-21-2022, 08:48 AM

D kicks the ball to the center, center kicks it back to the D, D kicks it up to the right forward, right forward kicks to the center, center kicks it back to the D, still not even over half field, but wait, a long kick and the goalie kicks it back and it all starts again. Just watch the last 2 minutes of a game. They are so bent over a soccer game cause they really have no other sports to play or watch. We have the pleasure of watching other multi millionaire sports players
Old 11-21-2022, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by barbless View Post
D kicks the ball to the center, center kicks it back to the D, D kicks it up to the right forward, right forward kicks to the center, center kicks it back to the D, still not even over half field, but wait, a long kick and the goalie kicks it back and it all starts again. Just watch the last 2 minutes of a game. They are so bent over a soccer game cause they really have no other sports to play or watch. We have the pleasure of watching other multi millionaire sports players
After 2 hours,
Old 11-21-2022, 09:02 AM

Had an argument with a soccer fan, asked if I had ever been kicked in the shins with cleats. I explained, no. I played lacrosse, where one gets hacked in the shins while running full speed repeatedly with chunk of solid hickory. We didn't wear shin pads either.

I do respect the athleticism. Just never understood the flopping around like they took a shotgun blast to the chest.
Old 11-21-2022, 09:11 AM

Ovi playing soccer:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=jFAizWoQFGs
Old 11-21-2022, 09:20 AM

Anywhere online to watch the live games?
Old 11-21-2022, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooseknuckle View Post
Had an argument with a soccer fan, asked if I had ever been kicked in the shins with cleats. I explained, no. I played lacrosse, where one gets hacked in the shins while running full speed repeatedly with chunk of solid hickory. We didn't wear shin pads either.

I do respect the athleticism. Just never understood the flopping around like they took a shotgun blast to the chest.
I played as well as a young gaffer field lacrosse right up to high school. Still got indents in my shins from the whacks. I think they should adopt full on contact in soccer. It might toughen em up a bit. Then we will see what the little prissy's can do.
Is there a soccer player over 5'10 other than the goalie? I understand you have to be an exceptional athlete with great endurance to be able to run around a field of that size but.....why? Make the field shorter
Old 11-21-2022, 09:48 AM

Quote:
This is why a person should be able to drink while watching soccer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lvdaibo9xZY
Watched about 30 seconds of your link and could not take it anymore.

As a dad who coached his son & daughter for a lot of years and into adult leagues, this is my biggest peeve and embarrassment of what the soccer professionals teach the younger ones watching them.

Without fail, every 4th year when the world cup is on, those years, the diving for a penalty got noticeably worse in the games played here.

Uggggh, you would think superstar soccer players would have more self control and thoughts about the image they portray. They absolutely look like fools, then the slow motion replay confirms it.
Old 11-21-2022, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by barbless View Post
I played as well as a young gaffer field lacrosse right up to high school. Still got indents in my shins from the whacks. I think they should adopt full on contact in soccer. It might toughen em up a bit. Then we will see what the little prissy's can do.
Is there a soccer player over 5'10 other than the goalie? I understand you have to be an exceptional athlete with great endurance to be able to run around a field of that size but.....why? Make the field shorter
Lol.. sure, let's just add full pads and make them change off every minute like all NA sports. Better yet let's put blades on their shoes do they can glide instead of run.

Yes. Lots of players are over 5'10".
Old 11-21-2022, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB_AOL View Post
Lol.. sure, let's just add full pads and make them change off every minute like all NA sports. Better yet let's put blades on their shoes do they can glide instead of run.

Yes. Lots of players are over 5'10".
Putting blades on them and getting their speed up to NHL hockey players speeds , would make the sport a lot more exciting, but every time they fell or bumped someone, and pretended to be injured, the game would be delayed even more. Games would probably take 4 hours or more and everyone watching would be fast asleep by the end. And of course they would need twice as many players, with half playing, and half pretending to be injured.
Old 11-21-2022, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Putting blades on them and getting their speed up to NHL hockey players speeds , would make the sport a lot more exciting, but every time they fell or bumped someone, and pretended to be injured, the game would be delayed even more. Games would probably take 4 hours or more and everyone watching would be fast asleep by the end. And of course they would need twice as many players, with half playing, and half pretending to be injured.
Lol.. it's interesting you think that.. I mean pretty much anyone can dress up in pads and play for a minute, then sit for 3 to recover.. what's the average play time for an NHL player? 15 minutes? And maybe what 25% of that is actually skating hard?

You're forgetting one thing, live benches with hockey, a hockey player gets hurt, he just goes to bench, next player on and game doesn't stop, injured player gets however much time to recover they want without affecting the game. Football has limited substitutions allowed. How many players are sitting on the bench for hockey? Speaking of which, I always thought hockey would be more interesting if they couldn't sub on the fly.

At any rate you can't compare the sports, that is the point of my post. Yes I consider both hockey/football to be excellent sports, and require excellent athletes, but they're completely different. They both have their nuances/issues.

I'm also not agreeing with the "flopping", but when there's zero protection on their ankles (or anywhere except shins), it doesn't take much to injure, or aggravate an old Injury.
Old 11-21-2022, 10:50 AM

The beautiful game ?

2 dozen bad actors kicking a ball around a 1/4 section while the crowd goes bananas in the end the score is 1-0?

I never understood soccer
Old 11-21-2022, 10:57 AM

If it is an obvious dive confirmed by replay, throw the ***** out of the game.
Play like men and save the drama , its embarrassing and a really poor model for kids.
Old 11-21-2022, 11:11 AM

They are all faking it though.

Yes, there is “diving” or simulation. Funny enough, many of the greatest players in the sport have been accused of being divers.

Edit: fyi, there is a yellow card for simulation.