Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 11-20-2022, 06:23 PM

Default Hot Tub Wiring and where best to purchase in St Albert/Edmonton

Heading from Peace River to St Albert tomorrow to pick up a new-to-me hot tub. Wifey is going to be happy.

I will be wiring this to the 100 amp panel in my shop, which will then involve a 100' outdoor run to the deck of my house. This will be a temporary setup - 1 to 2ish years - until I finish building my new house. At that time the tub will be moved to the new house which will be done up with a 200 amp panel.

My questions ....

- 42 amps at 240v, 100'. #6 conductor, correct?
- what is more affordable to run .... direct burial teck90 (surface for now, buried in the spring)? or non-armoured (thhn??) in conduit and bury the conduit in spring when the ground thaws?

- i'm going to be down in St Albert for the tub and Edmonton for ikea .... where is the best place for a guy to pick up cable and the proper subpanel/load-center? I have dealt with the main electrical and plumbing supplier here in Peace River and while they are equipped, they are far from the lowest price.

Last edited by Peace Meal Farm; 11-20-2022 at 06:40 PM.
Old 11-20-2022, 07:57 PM

I did this last summer. Ewel. Electrical wholesalers edmonton Ltd. Had everything I needed, fair price and great service.
Old 11-20-2022, 08:03 PM

Not going to tell you what to do, but we’re it me, money spent on a licence electrician seemed like cheap insurance somewhere that water and electricity are quite possibly going to meet
Old 11-21-2022, 12:05 AM

I am not an electrician, but have a hot tub. The install for code probably requires a GFCI Breaker Box set up a short distance from the Tub, but out of arm's reach.

As for cable, you are throwing out a guess of supply but do not state if it is aluminium or copper conductor. Big difference between the two, and if my 60 amp GFCI sub panel is any indication, I think you are running something bigger that #6 in aluminium for that amperage for that distance.

Maybe your tub has a smaller heater and smaller pumps than mine. Maybe not.

But get the manufacturer spec for the tub you are buying and have a professional help you out. It needs a permit anyway.

For the tub, if your pump pack is outside the tub, as is the case on bigger Beachcomber tubs, maybe get it over to OLUE or Beachcomber and get it serviced before taking it up north. You will save alot of aggravation down the road by getting a high resistance pump or heater changed out before filling the tub. You need to get the chemical package for start up and operation so a trip to a supplier who can service the tub is going to happen anyway.

Drewski