Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 08-08-2022, 06:21 PM

Default Good medium stiffness/weight boot?

I’m looking for a good trail boot for hunting. A dedicated approach type boot that isn’t quite as stiff as the mountaineering boots I wear for most of my hunting. Probably looking at synthetic or synthetic/leather combo. Gore Tex, Vibram etc. Does anyone have a recommendation? Thanks.
Old 08-08-2022, 06:32 PM

https://www.lowaboots.com/mens/backp...thracite-olive

Thomas Sowell
Old 08-08-2022, 09:33 PM

Most comfortable boot I've worn. Minimal break in required for what I'd deem a pretty rugged boot. Well made of high end materials and lighter than Lowas which I also own. Tibet's are a tough boot and these would be really close in that area but a lot more thought put into comfort. Two colors available I believe.

https://www.altitude-sports.com/prod...-llll-hwg-2303

Last edited by 270person; 08-08-2022 at 09:42 PM.
Old 08-08-2022, 09:40 PM
Banned

The kuiu scarpa are good
My feet like the crispis
I have a pair of Lowas, they are alright. My least favourite
But far ahead of any of the cabelas stuff
Best thing you can do is try on as many as you can
Your feet will tell you
Old 08-09-2022, 08:53 AM

I’ve had a couple of pairs of the Hanwags. Good boots but wanted something lighter. I just ordered these. We shall see how they fit. But have had lots of Scarpa’s on my feet.

https://us.scarpa.com/mescalito-trk-gtx-men-s
Old 08-09-2022, 10:19 AM

Figured that might be the case and that they might be a bit high as well but I like mine a lot so far. Similar to Tibet GTX if they were designed by Hush Puppy.

Off topic I give a big thumbs up to Altitude Sports when it comes to boots. Regular boot sales, good brands, 3 day deliveries, and the $40 lifetime membership drops to $20 but gives a first purchase $20 credit that negates things. No questions asked and very fast returns which is helpful with boot prchases
Old 08-09-2022, 10:55 AM

Default Boots.

Lowa.
Old 08-15-2022, 04:12 PM

I picked up a set of Vasque after trying a dozen others. Super nice fit off the hop which is unusual for my feet, I just went up one size from normal. Only hitch was they're at MEC, who I don't love, but their return policy is outstanding so you can see real world usage.

https://www.mec.ca/en/product/5062-9...kpacking-boots
Old 08-15-2022, 05:55 PM

I will only wear Lowas.
Old 08-15-2022, 07:13 PM

I have a pair of Scarpa Kailash GTX. Good quality and great boots.
Old 08-15-2022, 07:41 PM
Banned

I believe I have the Elk hunters by Irish setter? I got them from the Redwing store and find them very comfortable
Old 08-15-2022, 10:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VictoryXC View Post
I have a pair of Scarpa Kailash GTX. Good quality and great boots.
Of all the boots I’ve tried, the Italians seem to have it cornered. Scarpa, La Sportiva, Aku, Lathrop & Sons all are great boots. And they all use Perwanger leather as well. Good stuff
Old 08-16-2022, 06:11 AM

I'm a danner guy, first pair of 12" canadians lasted about 15 years, had the soles wore off shinny, bought another pair and they will likely take me to the end of my hunting day's, 600 gr thinsolite insulation, warm and dry when the weather turns cold.

I also have a pair of non insulated for warm hunts, never had wet or sore feet. I don't do near as much walking now as when I was younger and chasing sheep, but I do love my danners.

We were all born ignorant but one must work very hard to remain that way.
Old 08-16-2022, 08:30 AM

Lowa Camino gtx are on sale most places can grab them for 300 at sail.com. Depending where you are breathe outdoors (formerly campers village) has them for 319 and you can go try them on as the Camino has a little narrower box compared to the Tibet
Old 08-16-2022, 08:34 AM

If you're in the Calgary area I'd recommend going to Norseman right around 37th street SW and Richmond Road, its a small shop but they only stock high-end boots. A couple of months back I spent about 2 hours trying different boots and ended up buying a pair of Lowas. The staff there are great and take boot fitting seriously, they really want to make sure you get the correct boot based on the shape of your foot and gait. Best boot buying experience I have had and much better than trying to deal with the 'space cases' that work at MEC.

They also sell some high-end outdoor gear that you might not be able to find elsewhere.
Old 08-17-2022, 02:12 PM

I agree with the earlier comment that your feet will tell you what boots are best.

Here is another great boot to consider for your short list:
https://www.mec.ca/en/product/5024-1...ur=Waxed+Brick

Been rocking Zamberlans for years. They just plain work like no others on my feet.
....another Italian made boot.

Sent from my SM-G990W using Tapatalk
Old 08-17-2022, 09:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by capncrunch1111 View Post
If you're in the Calgary area I'd recommend going to Norseman right around 37th street SW and Richmond Road, its a small shop but they only stock high-end boots. A couple of months back I spent about 2 hours trying different boots and ended up buying a pair of Lowas. The staff there are great and take boot fitting seriously, they really want to make sure you get the correct boot based on the shape of your foot and gait. Best boot buying experience I have had and much better than trying to deal with the 'space cases' that work at MEC.

They also sell some high-end outdoor gear that you might not be able to find elsewhere.
I went there too after seeing recommendations here for the store. Was very impressed with the service and bought a pair of AKU as they fit better than everything else. Only had them two months with not a lot of days wear but I have the suspicion they are going to be my favourite pair and were priced very favorable. Worth the drive to the city.
Old 09-12-2022, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeoH View Post
I picked up a set of Vasque after trying a dozen others. Super nice fit off the hop which is unusual for my feet, I just went up one size from normal. Only hitch was they're at MEC, who I don't love, but their return policy is outstanding so you can see real world usage.

https://www.mec.ca/en/product/5062-9...kpacking-boots
I tried them ^^^. Very comfy on my foot, as were Scarpas, Lowas, and Salomons.

I ended up going with Lowa Camino GTX which were on a great sale at Breathe Outdoors. Love em.

https://breatheoutdoors.ca/low210644.html
Old 09-12-2022, 12:08 PM
AO Sponsor

I bought a pair of these Zamberlan 1111 last year because I need lightweight and stability and man I am happy with them!

https://www.mec.ca/en/product/6005-9...kpacking-boots
Bay #6, 1303 44th ave NE
Calgary AB, T2E6L5
bobbybirds@icloud.com
www.urbanexp.ca

Leviticus 23: 4-18: "he that scopeth a lever, or thou allow a scope to lie with a lever as it would lie with a bolt action, shall have created an abomination and shall perish in the fires of Hell forever and ever.....plus GST" - huntinstuff April 07/23