Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 05-31-2022, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainTi View Post
Looks to be a major shopping spree today. Not only handguns but everything firearm related. Know of a few handguns already bought today. Lot's of powder, loaded ammo, ect....
Gonna be a record setting day for sales
Yep, I've been trying for 2 hours to do a transfer to get a S&W to a friend. Took 30 tries to get in the queue 3 times, and then call dropped 3 times after being on hold for a half hour each time.

But, transfers *are* still being done, and they are getting approved still.

Buy now, or forever hold your peace.

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone
Old 05-31-2022, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck View Post
Yep, I've been trying for 2 hours to do a transfer to get a S&W to a friend. Took 30 tries to get in the queue 3 times, and then call dropped 3 times after being on hold for a half hour each time.

But, transfers *are* still being done, and they are getting approved still.

Buy now, or forever hold your peace.
On my way to Reg's shortly. Then some online shopping
Gonna need some OT after today lol
Old 05-31-2022, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by obsessed1 View Post
If your not willing to risk something nothing will ever change. Separation, civil war, truckers rally.....all these things require action and risk. Your bank account, your lifestyle, your blood.... truth is, not enough have the stomach to risk what is necessary to turn the tide, to provide the type of country we want our children to inherit. It can be done it just takes action and risk. If we take no action now we will be disarmed, and once disarmed those who consider themselves our supreme leaders will do with us what they want and by the time the majority have the stomach to resist the means will be gone. Moving towards separation is the least messy of the options available. You will either be the type who is willing to risk or you are the type who just accepts what they are given. Your view on firearms matters little as this government will just continue to attack your transportation, your ability to feed your family, heat your home, own your home for that matter, it will continue to attack the family institution to the point that you cannot even be the parent if your own children, they will continue to strip you of every medical right you have until there is nothing left. If this is the kind of country you want your children to raise children in then do nothing.. If not then its maybe time to assume some risk.
So just what do you suggest we can do, be specific. I have voted Conservative my whole life. Nothing has happened, we are still part of Canada. Sorry but I am dissolutioned that anything will or can be done. Signing all the petitions does nothing.
Old 05-31-2022, 12:20 PM

So all long gun magazines restricted to 5 rounds? So an 80 year old Cooey (and tons of other models) with a tube magazine that feeds from the front? How is that going to work? If it shoots .22LR, .22L and .22 shorts what length does it have to be pinned with? If you put shorts in gun marked for .22LR is it now a prohibited device?

Can you do this with a factory 10 round 10/22 mag?

Going to have to take your great grandpas 100+ Lee-Enfield to a gun smith to put a rivet under the follower? How many hundreds of thousands are in Canada still? How many have been propping open the door of the chicken coop for the last 50 years?

How is a Garand going to operate with a 5 round clip?? Super glue three empty casings into every clip?

When can we get some laws targeting criminals rather than villainizing law abiding people? Will the criminals give up their hand guns and plug their long gun mags to 5 rounds?
What else can we do to further divide this country?
Did we need another reason why so much of the west wants to separate?
Want to know why Saskatchewan appointed their own CFO?
Old 05-31-2022, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sashi View Post
So just what do you suggest we can do, be specific. I have voted Conservative my whole life. Nothing has happened, we are still part of Canada. Sorry but I am dissolutioned that anything will or can be done. Signing all the petitions does nothing.
Write a letter. A handwritten, polite, concise, factual, logical letter. You're right, petitions are meaningless. When we were fighting C-51, and later C-17, we found out that petitions are assigned vote values based on the weight of the petition. Something like one potential vote per twenty pounds of paper.

A handwritten letter, however was assigned dozens of votes per piece. The rationale being that anyone who took the time to sit down and actually write things down on paper, and sign it, was a lot more invested in the subject and probably had many many allies. The only thing that politicians REALLY care about is votes. Without them they cannot be re-elected.

If you address it to the Justice Minister, a copy is CC'd to the PMO....two with one shot. Neat.

Ask your friends and acquaintances to write one, too.

Don't even need a stamp.
Old 05-31-2022, 12:26 PM

This freeze on handguns is classic Liberal virtue signalling.
I work in the shooting sports industry. Last night I was a little bummed out by this news, but so far this morning I've seen lots of re orders from retailers. Some don't think this "law" will even pass.
Who knows.

But what I've been told by people in the know in Calgary, 80% of the gun crimes are with smuggled handguns. The other up and coming source for crime guns is the illicit 3D printed knock off Glocks. Apparently they order some of the components from China and 3D print the rest right here in Calgary. At $5K a handgun, there's no doubt that the flow of illegal guns will continue.

I don't want to rant too bad, but there's a certain population of young men in this country, let's call them dirt bags, who want to emulate the gangster lifestyle. These are the same folks who sell fentenyl, human traffic under age girls into prostitution, do home invasions. The laws of the land don't seem to prevent these crimes. I don't think anything Mr Trudeau is willing to do will stop them.
But it's not about stopping gun crimes, it's about making Canada a certain way, the Liberal way, where criminals are victims and tax paying, law abiding contributors to society are just used as a cash machine to pay for all the free loaders of the world.

I'm tired of it.
Old 05-31-2022, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tool View Post
So all long gun magazines restricted to 5 rounds? So an 80 year old Cooey (and tons of other models) with a tube magazine that feeds from the front? How is that going to work? If it shoots .22LR, .22L and .22 shorts what length does it have to be pinned with? If you put shorts in gun marked for .22LR is it now a prohibited device?

Can you do this with a factory 10 round 10/22 mag?

Going to have to take your great grandpas 100+ Lee-Enfield to a gun smith to put a rivet under the follower? How many hundreds of thousands are in Canada still? How many have been propping open the door of the chicken coop for the last 50 years?

How is a Garand going to operate with a 5 round clip?? Super glue three empty casings into every clip?

When can we get some laws targeting criminals rather than villainizing law abiding people? Will the criminals give up their hand guns and plug their long gun mags to 5 rounds?
What else can we do to further divide this country?
Did we need another reason why so much of the west wants to separate?
Want to know why Saskatchewan appointed their own CFO?
That's the way they will go.
I am not sure how many realize that the shotguns will be limited to only 3 shells.
3 shells maximum for a shotgun if you use 2 3/4 or 3" as you can feed 5 of them at 1 3/4.
most likely same for the 22LR, if they will not provide an exemption for the rimfires and it seems that they will not.

Semis? forget about it...

It is ridiculous.
Old 05-31-2022, 12:29 PM

How do you pin a rotary mag like a 10/22?
Old 05-31-2022, 12:32 PM

Tool, and FYI for you and others who may not know, is that not just SK appointed their own CFO. Alberta did too, and she has been fighting like a bear on behalf of us. She is a super representative for us.

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone
Old 05-31-2022, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Worse yet the liberals don't want to accept pinned magazines, because a pin isn't seen as being permanent.

But I am actually glad that they are including magazine restrictions, because this will effect many of the people that didn't care about handguns or certain rifles being banned. They maintained that restrictions would never effect their hunting rifles, so the were okay with it. Now that it effects them, and their Lee Enfields, lever actions, abd Cooey 22s, they might actually clue into what is happening.
Old 05-31-2022, 12:44 PM

Quote:
to be used in a semi 10/22? That's a very dangerous weapon, it will be outright banned. It is a long rifle that have abilities to shut again without being cocked, so it is dangerous. Mendocino said yesterday that he is looking as issuing definitions and a blanket ban, rather than ban the guns one by one.

So no need to worry about 5 cap mags for 10/22 as you will not be allowed to have a 10/22.
Old 05-31-2022, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by User name View Post
to be used in a semi 10/22? That's a very dangerous weapon, it will be outright banned. It is a long rifle that have abilities to shut again without being cocked, so it is dangerous. Mendocino said yesterday that he is looking as issuing definitions and a blanket ban, rather than ban the guns one by one.

So no need to worry about 5 cap mags for 10/22 as you will not be allowed to have a 10/22.
Good bye to the Ruger PC carbine. Way too scary looking.
Old 05-31-2022, 01:45 PM
Banned

Arrow

FIRST READING: A reminder (since Trudeau apparently forgot) that Canadian gun law is already way stricter than the U.S.

Prime Minister Justin Trudeau has a developed a bit of a habit of taking domestic political stances that are seemingly targeted for a U.S. audience.

After word leaked earlier this month that the U.S. Supreme Court was set to overturn federal guarantees on abortion, Trudeau immediately issued a statement touting how “every woman in Canada has a right to a safe and legal abortion.” When Black Lives Matter protests roiled the United States last summer, Trudeau was quick to “take a knee” for photographers on the streets of Ottawa. And now, after a mass shooter killed 19 at an elementary school in Texas last week, Trudeau has responded with a slate of new restrictions on Canadian gun ownership.

Canada and the U.S. both have some of the Earth’s highest rates of civilian gun ownership, but the similarities basically stop there. Below, a not-at-all comprehensive rundown of the sharp differences between Canadian and U.S. gun laws.

https://nationalpost.com/news/canada...r-than-the-u-s
Old 05-31-2022, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Not really huge to the discussion at large, but companies have been making 5 round clips for Garands for quite a few years now.

It would not surprise me if they wanted every magazine to be plugged and have you use a shorter spring. Same with rear loading tube magazines. Front loaders might need a modified/plugged plunger that will only fully insert with a reduced round count.
Old 05-31-2022, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by averagejoe View Post
Not really huge to the discussion at large, but companies have been making 5 round clips for Garands for quite a few years now.

It would not surprise me if they wanted every magazine to be plugged and have you use a shorter spring. Same with rear loading tube magazines. Front loaders might need a modified/plugged plunger that will only fully insert with a reduced round count.
Thanks averagejoe, I didn’t know the made Garand clips like that, I thought they were exempt from the 5 round semi auto rule in Canada.

But modifying the plunger on tube fed is not modifying the magazine is it? There are a lot of semantics that need explanation. It’s just like the bore size issue with the 10 gauge shotguns and removable chokes etc etc.

Is their any hope this won’t actually pass?
Old 05-31-2022, 02:53 PM

I heard a guy on Ched the other day who was involved with the reform party back in the day and he said they were working on some gun policy and one of the great Ideas they had was you could have as many guns as you like but could only by ammo for specific guns that you qualified for ie: a 3030 but not your 12 ga unless you qualified for that, etc. just think about that for a minute and wrap your head around the paperwork they could have created with that brain wave.
Old 05-31-2022, 02:56 PM
Banned

Arrow

Trudeau's new gun law doesn't target gun crime

The only thing the Trudeau Liberals know about guns is how to use them for political advantage.

There is a measure to increase the maximum penalty for gun smuggling and gun trafficking from 10 years to 14 years, which is a good thing, but this same government is lowering sentences for these same offences in another bill. In fact, they are scrapping the mandatory minimum for a number of serious gun crimes in Bill C-5.

Currently, importing a gun illegally carries with it a mandatory minimum of three years on the first offence and a five-year minimum on the second offence. The Trudeau Liberals are scrapping that along with mandatory minimums on using a firearm in commission of a crime, possessing a restricted or prohibited weapon, possession of loaded handgun, possession of weapon obtained through crime, weapons trafficking and using a gun to commit robbery or extortion.

This bill focuses on guns, it focuses on licenced gun owners, but it doesn’t focus on crime. It’s a classic distraction tactic from Trudeau and his government that makes it look like they are doing something to tackle an issue when they aren’t.

https://torontosun.com/opinion/colum...rget-gun-crime
Old 05-31-2022, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronNoggin View Post
Trudeau's new gun law doesn't target gun crime

The only thing the Trudeau Liberals know about guns is how to use them for political advantage.

There is a measure to increase the maximum penalty for gun smuggling and gun trafficking from 10 years to 14 years, which is a good thing, but this same government is lowering sentences for these same offences in another bill. In fact, they are scrapping the mandatory minimum for a number of serious gun crimes in Bill C-5.

Currently, importing a gun illegally carries with it a mandatory minimum of three years on the first offence and a five-year minimum on the second offence. The Trudeau Liberals are scrapping that along with mandatory minimums on using a firearm in commission of a crime, possessing a restricted or prohibited weapon, possession of loaded handgun, possession of weapon obtained through crime, weapons trafficking and using a gun to commit robbery or extortion.

This bill focuses on guns, it focuses on licenced gun owners, but it doesn’t focus on crime. It’s a classic distraction tactic from Trudeau and his government that makes it look like they are doing something to tackle an issue when they aren’t.

https://torontosun.com/opinion/colum...rget-gun-crime

In Trudeau’s misguided Twisted mind. Only Conservative supporters want guns.
More gun regulations is another way for him to stick it to those who don’t support him
This is a wedge issue and nothing more. His crocodile tears for victims of gun violence are strictly for show because in his mind every gun crime is another opportunity to punish those who don’t support him.
All of his support comes from metropolitan areas and that is who he caters to.
Old 05-31-2022, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Thanks averagejoe, I didn’t know the made Garand clips like that, I thought they were exempt from the 5 round semi auto rule in Canada.

But modifying the plunger on tube fed is not modifying the magazine is it? There are a lot of semantics that need explanation. It’s just like the bore size issue with the 10 gauge shotguns and removable chokes etc etc.

Is their any hope this won’t actually pass?

I am guessing they made them for other countries as well instead of just Canada.

It it hard to say whether a plunger tube mod would count as magazine mod. If you plug the plunger and use a shorter spring that is the only easily realistic way I could think of to limit the amount of rounds you could fit with that specific type of tubular mag since it would not close and lock when over loaded.

It is going to suck with the older and repro ones that have a spring loaded tab for a follower that you push up to load. Those would probably need to have the main tube modified with a new slot to load cartridges and then a pin or something installed to keep them from going back farther.

Any hope it won't pass? I am not holding my breath on it right now. You just know they have been waiting a long time for the right type of shooting to occur to introduce it and ram it through while feelings are high and logic is not. If it fails then Turdo will just make it an OIC instead.
Old 05-31-2022, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jungleboy View Post
In Trudeau’s misguided Twisted mind. Only Conservative supporters want guns.
More gun regulations is another way for him to stick it to those who don’t support him
This is a wedge issue and nothing more. His crocodile tears for victims of gun violence are strictly for show because in his mind every gun crime is another opportunity to punish those who don’t support him.
All of his support comes from metropolitan areas and that is who he caters to.
Ironically, the more I think about it the more I'm convinced that Trudeau's bill will actually be detrimental to reducing gun crime. Our biggest problem is guns smuggled in from the States... and just as the gun control movement is gaining traction in the states, the moron goes and pulls this stunt... basically proving to any Americans on the fence that an eventual gun ban is not theoretical.

I'm not taking a stance on American gun control, but tougher gun laws in the states would inarguably have far more impact on Canadian gun crime than banning gun ownership in Canada ever will... and Trudeau is only hurting "progress" on that front.
Old 05-31-2022, 09:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by teledogs View Post
I just saw a gang in Edmonton pinning their magazines!
Let the drones fly!
I don't know about you, but I'm going to sleep better tonight!
Old 05-31-2022, 09:41 PM

Default and

Quote:
Originally Posted by averagejoe View Post

They are unreliable so now what?
Old 05-31-2022, 09:42 PM

Default then there's

1894 winchesters and Marlins
Old 05-31-2022, 10:10 PM

Maybe ghost guns will become the booming fad in Canada that they have in the States. That might make idiot sticks head explode.

Last edited by 270person; 05-31-2022 at 10:16 PM.
Old 06-01-2022, 04:36 AM

Trudope and co have certainly become Canada's best handgun sales people lately. Way I see it is all he is doing is creating a huge black market that will turn around and bite him in the butt. Rampant non-compliance will become the norm after this.
Old 06-01-2022, 08:16 AM

I am not sure how this handgun ban is going to create a black market. Restricted firearms are registered to the individual. If it shows up somewhere else it's jail time. Sort of anyways.

The market already has us guns
Old 06-01-2022, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctd View Post
I am not sure how this handgun ban is going to create a black market. Restricted firearms are registered to the individual. If it shows up somewhere else it's jail time. Sort of anyways.

If the supply of legal handguns can't meet the demand, more will be stolen or smuggled into Canada. It's supply and demand, and registration is irrelevant , if firearms are smuggled in or stolen.
Old 06-01-2022, 08:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushleague View Post
Ironically, the more I think about it the more I'm convinced that Trudeau's bill will actually be detrimental to reducing gun crime. Our biggest problem is guns smuggled in from the States... and just as the gun control movement is gaining traction in the states, the moron goes and pulls this stunt... basically proving to any Americans on the fence that an eventual gun ban is not theoretical.

I'm not taking a stance on American gun control, but tougher gun laws in the states would inarguably have far more impact on Canadian gun crime than banning gun ownership in Canada ever will... and Trudeau is only hurting "progress" on that front.
Tell us again how no one can get drugs

The Americans don’t need another example - NZ, Australia, UK, China, USSR, Nazi Germany, all the way back to Ancient Greece. The government takes away weapons to subjugate and enslave people by force when it can’t control with words. The Americans - well at least a good chunk of them- also arent going to budge and will replace elected officials that cower.
Old 06-01-2022, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctd View Post

The black market already exists, it and the criminals involved in it will be unaffected by these proposed new laws
Old 06-01-2022, 08:34 AM

This has nothing to do with gun crime, obviously. Canada has never seen a government reduce/ infringe upon civil liberties so fast as this government has in the last couple of years. Three more years left… at least?