Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 08-05-2007, 06:54 PM

Default Semi-auto shotgun

I've got a Luigi Franchi semi-auto in 12 ga. with a full choke. It's a fabulous gun and I love it. It's very light to carry but it used to kick bit until I had a custom recoil pad installed, retaining the original overall length.

I have shot ducks and geese with it but not since steel shot became the law in that regard. I have heard, and Sheep mentioned earlier in this thread, that running steel shot through a full choke could be dangerous. My shottie is 30 years old this fall. I sure as hell don't want a split and fluted barrel along with the collateral damage so should I get a multi-choke thing installed? Your advice is appreciated.

Grady
Old 08-05-2007, 07:15 PM

I can't say it's okay, every gun is different. Personally I think the smaller shot sizes (#2 max, #3 and #4) wouldn't do any harm to the gun.

If you bulge the barrel just before the choke, don't notice and shoot a few more times, you run the risk of blowing the whole gun up.

That said, I often shoot 3" #2 out of an old Wingmaster with a fixed full choke, and I have actually met a few who prefer shooting #2's out of a full choke.

I'd suggest, if you're in love with the gun, get chokes installed... Last I checked, cost is about $75 + the choke of your choice. I'd recommend Modified, Imp Modified, and skeet.

The other option is to buy a new gun!

Lastly, there is at least one other safe non-tox option, bismuth. Can't say I've had any good experiences with it, so I'll leave it at that.
Old 08-05-2007, 07:30 PM

Default Semi-auto shotgun

Thanks Duk, I appreciate your advice. You mention that you shoot 3" #2s out of your full choke Wingmaster. I'm assuming it has a 3" chamber. Would you shoot 3 inchers with steel shot out of a gun with a 2.75" chamber? I've put 3 inchers through my gun but with lead shot only.

Grady
Old 08-05-2007, 07:35 PM

Grady,
Did I read that right? You're shooting 3" shells in your 2 3/4 chamber??
Old 08-05-2007, 07:40 PM

NO, don't do that. I know it can be done but it's EXTREMELY dangerous!!!

Your liable to get the bolt right through your head... that is, if your head wasn't already blown off!
Old 08-05-2007, 07:41 PM

I REALLY hope that was a typo or else someone is just ASKING for a dangerous accident sometime down the road.....
Old 08-05-2007, 07:54 PM

I put two 3 inchers through my gun once when I grabbed some of my buddy's shells in the blind. I've never done it again but I know I'm not the only one who's ever done that.

Grady
Old 08-05-2007, 08:01 PM

Nope....probably not the only person who's ever done it.....but thinking about doing it again would be a dangerous thing to be tempting fate. It doesnt kill ya every time ya do it......but it only takes one time.

I've walked across the street without lookin too....but I dont think I'd do it again knowing I was doing it.....heh
Old 08-06-2007, 12:27 PM

Default Semi Auto

As a die hard 1100 man, I thought that the query was enough to peak my interest. Stopped in a shop on the weekend and handled this 391 Beretta and I was very impressed. Would like now to find someone who owns one that I can try and of course to pattern.
This unit is well balanced and fits similar to my 1100. As I have not "invested" in a gun in along time, the $1795.00 price tag made me jump a little.

Anyone out there comment on that price at all??

Thanks
Old 08-06-2007, 02:50 PM
sheephunter

Despite some of the advice given here....the common sense rule is not to shoot steel (small shot size or not) out of an older shotgun with a fixed full choke. There has been much written on this subject and many documented cases of it causing problems with older shotguns. I wouldn't do it and think it irresponsible for anyone to suggest doing it. I'd really hate to see anyone get hurt due to some bad advice on a messageboard.
Old 08-06-2007, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by citysfs View Post

Anyone out there comment on that price at all??

Thanks
Not sure which model you looked at, but that's way steep. If you intend to purchase a new Beretta, I would suggest contacting Ellwood Epps, (ellwoodepps.com) Cheapest place I know of in Canada to buy any type of firearm. One of the last ma and pa type shops around that is thriving. I haven't checked lately, but I'm guessing street price on a new AL391 is about $1250 for black plastic, and just under $1400 for nice wood or camo.

I do have a few Beretta's kickin around at home... but I guess you already know how difficult it can be at times to track me down
Old 08-06-2007, 06:08 PM

Default 391

Thanks for the tip on Epps. I used to have Elwood's grandson work for me so i am well aware of their history and family.

Yes its too bad we could not connect. Maybe we should try a goose field to meet ??
Old 08-06-2007, 08:20 PM

Thanks Rack and Sheep for your advice also. I will have a multi-choke rig installed on my shotgun before the season opens. I'm not going to chance ruining my shotgun or my handsome features .

Grady
Old 08-06-2007, 09:44 PM

Red face

The other thing to think about is if you shoot steel out of a full lead choke it is the equivalent to a modified steel , giving you a wide open pattern. Why would I want that in a goose blind.