Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 04-02-2022, 11:37 AM

Default Remington model 700 7mm mag from the 70s

I recently picked up a remington model 700 7mm mag from the 70s I got it off the original owner. The gun is in mint shape is there anything a guy should be aware of for issues with that model? Not sure what it is really worth either. It came with a bushnell scope chief v1 on it. It’s a 3x9x40 not a fancy scope but in perfect shape weather it’s worth a nickel or not I don’t have. a clue. It will likely do for now till decide what i’m doing with the gun it’s basically a perfect match to my 22-250 my dad gave me years ago which is why i l picked it up. It has a drop plate how hard is that to switch out to a detachable?
I’m not in a rush to use it as my other 7mm is my main hunting rifle.
Any insight would be appreciated.
Old 04-02-2022, 11:44 AM

They are excellent rifles. Only thing of concern should be to see if anyone has monkey’d with the trigger adjustment. If the weight is set low, you usually need to adjust the sear engagement. Done improperly, they have caused mishaps.
Old 04-02-2022, 12:07 PM

Thanks for the info. The old fella who was the original owner said nothing had been changed or modified.
Old 04-02-2022, 12:07 PM

Quality rifles and very good shooters. Classic rifle look up there with early Mod 70's. Upgrade to a Trigger Tech and you'll love it even more.

Value is in how happy it makes you.
Old 04-02-2022, 04:49 PM

Default Wanna sell it?

hehehe
Old 04-02-2022, 04:52 PM

I have a late 70s model 700 CDL rifle in that cartridge as well, it is a great shooting rifle, I'm sure you're going to be happy with it. As Leo mentioned, as long as nobody buba'd the trigger they are pretty straight forward and reliably accurate. Mine shoots nice one hole groups with 150 gr anything, although the Barnes Vortex tsx seems to be the best with it. I was actually just talking to somebody about it today.

That target the first cold bore is low, then 4 in one hole with aforementioned ammo. They are nice rifles. Also, that old Scope Chief is a classic scope, I had one with the Command Post reticle many years ago. I'd leave it on there, wouldn't change a thing! You can change the bottom metal and put a detachable mag in it, but any decent kit you buy is expensive and the cheap ones aren't worth buying, and imo it kinda takes away from the classic rifle (though it is more practical too imo).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screenshot_20220402-165104.jpg (12.0 KB, 73 views)
File Type: jpg Screenshot_20220402-165111.jpg (12.7 KB, 85 views)

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone

Last edited by Twisted Canuck; 04-02-2022 at 05:13 PM.
Old 04-02-2022, 05:20 PM

You did well.

Hang onto it.
Old 04-02-2022, 05:25 PM

Hinged floorplates are perfect for hunters that do not sit in trucks.
Road hunters put emphasis on the detachable mag.

As to a 1970's M-700 in (7mm) in excellent condition, kudos to you. Those older M-700's are great shooters.
"Placed correctly Swift A-Frames will reliably kill big bears. So will North Forks, Nosler Partitions, Barnes TSX, Kodiaks, Woodleighs, GS soft points, Hornady Interbonds and Speer Grand Slams - and if I missed your favorite bullet -it probably will too.
It's time to go hunting and quit all this ballistic masturbation."

Phil Shoemaker
Old 04-02-2022, 08:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck View Post
I have a late 70s model 700 CDL rifle in that cartridge as well, it is a great shooting rifle, I'm sure you're going to be happy with it. As Leo mentioned, as long as nobody buba'd the trigger they are pretty straight forward and reliably accurate. Mine shoots nice one hole groups with 150 gr anything, although the Barnes Vortex tsx seems to be the best with it. I was actually just talking to somebody about it today.

That target the first cold bore is low, then 4 in one hole with aforementioned ammo. They are nice rifles. Also, that old Scope Chief is a classic scope, I had one with the Command Post reticle many years ago. I'd leave it on there, wouldn't change a thing! You can change the bottom metal and put a detachable mag in it, but any decent kit you buy is expensive and the cheap ones aren't worth buying, and imo it kinda takes away from the classic rifle (though it is more practical too imo).
Nice grouping, is the gun original or modified.
WDF
Old 04-02-2022, 08:59 PM

Thanks, it is bone stock WDF. I don't always shoot groups like that, but when I do, I always take a picture!

Most of my guns will do better with a better shooter, I'm getting a bit shaky nowadays. But sometimes it all comes together like that.

That does have a particularly fine scope on it which helps, a Leica ER 3.5-14 x 42mm with fine plex reticle. Helps to see your target for sure.

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone
Old 04-03-2022, 08:09 PM

That old scope might surprise you. Owed several and they were very good.
Old 04-04-2022, 09:07 PM

Thanks for all the info guys I’m pretty happy with it and there is room in the safe so it will stay with me for along while.
Old 04-05-2022, 07:46 AM

They are quality rifles, that was a really good time for Remington. The triggers were good on them as well and can be tweaked to be really good by someone who knows their stuff.

Value today, maybe $700-$800 if it's in excellent condition.

Don't bother with a detachable mag. The floorplate is ideal for hunting and a DM woukd just look wrong on a classy rifle like that.
Old 04-05-2022, 08:16 AM

An old hunting partner had an older one also,maybe built in the 60s.
Had very nice blueing on it , and he was surprised when he put a magnet on the barrel > it was stainless !
Old 04-08-2022, 06:58 PM

Nice catch, on older Rem 700's I like to clean out the trigger group with lighter fluid to wash out possibly decades of gunk that could cause issues people blame on the trigger design. Those old Japanese Bushnells were well made if simple scopes and though the lenses can't compete with modern multi coated ones they were plenty fine for hunting.
Old 04-08-2022, 07:31 PM

i have a older rem 700 bdl left hand 308 win . Great rifle I too clean trigger with lighter fluid. Never had a problem with it. Its more acccuate than my Tikkas
in 270 and 308 which are both tackdivers