Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 03-31-2022, 07:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kouleerunner View Post
What are the size of the trout coming out of Bullshead? The world record came out of Diefenbaker. Is Diefenbaker managed in this same way Bullshead is. Are we expecting the new Alberta rainbow trout record to come from Bullshead. Can Bullshead produce a 20 lbs Rainbow or brown? I suggest the outcome is better than at the experience at police, but are you getting the desired outcome? Do we know What the desired outcome should be? And back to the original problem, is this what we really want for pine coulee? Where we know large apex predators still are in abundance?

We can agree to disagree, the Problem still remains. My original premise. Loss of opportunity and access in the winter. We should never trade a hope in 20 yrs for. Decent trout for lost access! You want 0 retention, no problem, leave the lake open year round!
those fish were escaped farmed triploids, in a huge body of water with nonstop food sources. How could little rainbows in a small stocked waterbody ever get to those sizes and why would that be someones expectation if they knew the slightest thing about fish? not realistic in any sense, or would people rather the stockers were raised to trophy size before being released?
Non Compliance!!!!!!
"According to Trudeau, Im an extremist who needs to be dealt with"
#Trudeau must go

Wheres The Funds

The vaccine was not brought in for COVID. COVID was brought in for the vaccine. Once you realize that, everything else makes sense.” ~ Dr. Reiner Fuellmich
Old 03-31-2022, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WayneChristie View Post
those fish were escaped farmed triploids, in a huge body of water with nonstop food sources. How could little rainbows in a small stocked waterbody ever get to those sizes and why would that be someones expectation if they knew the slightest thing about fish? not realistic in any sense, or would people rather the stockers were raised to trophy size before being released?
Silly facts regarding forage, habitat and strain don’t apply to Alberta fisheries I thought you knew better then that

For those with big dreams pine coulee is a horrible candidate for a trophy trout fishery. But what would I know about these things
Old 03-31-2022, 08:38 AM

I wish they would have left it as it was. I used it for the grandkids, new Canadians, neighbours etc. with an interest etc. I could pretty well guarantee they would have big fun catching fish, often the first those kids saw coming out of the water the fish lived in. I felt it was a big teaching opportunity and universally the wanted to kill eh n eat em. but the question was "if you kill em, how could we have fun next week catching them". Also Chain is a close by trout put and take.
It was neat place within an easy drive of 1.5 MM folks, the dock was always busy etc.
Old 03-31-2022, 09:12 AM

I sat on the dock there one day when we had a forum campout just for the heck of it, to see what I could catch. I lost count around 200 walleye, as well as a pike that ate 1 of my walleye , not much chance there since I was using 4 pound test on a microlight rod, but I did get it to the dock once, the retired commercial fisherman sitting beside me told me he had caught a lot of big fish and the 1 I lost was easy 30 pounds. How can anyone not call this a fun fishing destination for anyone. Why does every lake have to be trophy fish? any fish is fun to catch and a lake with such easy fishing for rookies and pros alike should have been left the way it was, wait til the walleye die off then change the species if needed, but again why cant we have a place just for fun? Trophy means just that, a special fish usually judged by size, if a huge percentage of the fish in a lake have to be huge wheres the challenge ?? when did fishing become a peeing contest where your fun doesnt count if its not bigger than the next persons fish? remember when we went fishing for fun?????? I still fish for fun, thats kinda the whole point of it for me at least.
Non Compliance!!!!!!
#Trudeau must go

Wheres The Funds

The vaccine was not brought in for COVID. COVID was brought in for the vaccine. Once you realize that, everything else makes sense.” ~ Dr. Reiner Fuellmich
Old 03-31-2022, 09:21 AM

Quote:
I sat on the dock there one day when we had a forum campout just for the heck of it, to see what I could catch. I lost count around 200 walleye, as well as a pike that ate 1 of my walleye , not much chance there since I was using 4 pound test on a microlight rod, but I did get it to the dock once, the retired commercial fisherman sitting beside me told me he had caught a lot of big fish and the 1 I lost was easy 30 pounds. How can anyone not call this a fun fishing destination for anyone. Why does every lake have to be trophy fish? any fish is fun to catch and a lake with such easy fishing for rookies and pros alike should have been left the way it was, wait til the walleye die off then change the species if needed, but again why cant we have a place just for fun? Trophy means just that, a special fish usually judged by size, if a huge percentage of the fish in a lake have to be huge wheres the challenge ?? when did fishing become a peeing contest where your fun doesnt count if its not bigger than the next persons fish? remember when we went fishing for fun?????? I still fish for fun, thats kinda the whole point of it for me at least.
If only people understood that people fish for many different reasons and that is why it is good to have a mix of different fisheries/management plans
Old 03-31-2022, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoky buck View Post
If only people understood that people fish for many different reasons and that is why it is good to have a mix of different fisheries/management plans
if people had common sense we wouldnt be....bah thats for the politic thread I dont deny catching a big fish is a thrill, I know I want to meet my PB sturgeon again, and her 80 inch mamma I know is out there, (shes been caught and released before) but thats a bonus, I get excited everytime my line moves, it doesnt have to be a giant, they are all fun! every type, Ive fished for minnows and Ive fished for monsters, every twitch of the rod tip is exciting especially if the perpetrator is a mystery until you set the hook.
Non Compliance!!!!!!
#Trudeau must go

Wheres The Funds

Old 03-31-2022, 10:04 AM

never tried PCR before, usually opt for twin valley or travers, might give it a shot this summer tho!
Old 03-31-2022, 10:32 AM

"why does every lake have to have trophy fish?"

For trout lakes....
Just ONE more besides Police (which is now vulnerable to winterkill) would be awesome.

The money saved in reduced stocking at a quality lake can go toward a couple more truck loads of trout to Payne or Chain lakes. That should keep all the kids and grandparents and everyone else happily hauling out fish.

I wonder if Ressor or Miclhele Cr Res would be a good candidate for a quality trout fishery?
Old 03-31-2022, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Yep, 100% Wayne. You nailed it.

Unfortunately, the people that think like us got bulldozed by a few people that "know better" and their agenda.

Terrible...
Old 03-31-2022, 10:47 AM

I read that the walleye were reaching old age and therefore the decision was made to harvest them before they died off and went to waste.

Sent from my SM-N960W using Tapatalk
Old 03-31-2022, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slough shark View Post
Long story short on pine coulee if they want it to be a success as a trout fishery drain the lake as much as possible in the fall, rotenone it, kill all the pike and walleye in there and then refill and stock in the spring. If they don’t plan on doing that they would be better off throwing in perch and whitefish as well to feed the pike and walleye and provide a forage base for the lake which was one of the main missing ingredients there in the first place.
Pine supplies all the water to the town of Claresholm so draining it too low is not going to happen.
Old 03-31-2022, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duramaximos View Post
I read that the walleye were reaching old age and therefore the decision was made to harvest them before they died off and went to waste.

Sent from my SM-N960W using Tapatalk
That’s exactly what happened but some people just can’t get over it ! On the other hand, they could have spent some of our money they collect from fishing licences and restocked it.
Old 03-31-2022, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habfan View Post
That’s exactly what happened but some people just can’t get over it ! On the other hand, they could have spent some of our money they collect from fishing licences and restocked it.
Maybe some but they have been netting this lake for the last handful of years. Why the nets if they are almost dead? Also, definitely reproduction of Walleye happening in the lake currently.

Either way, the problem still remains with introduction of trout and immediately closing the lake to bait, ice fishing, etc... Doesn't really make sense if they want the walleye and pike out of the lake to best enable the survival of most trout. Yes, they can still be caught without bait or scent but not as readily sometimes.

It would have been great if they had just left the lake alone for a few more years which would allow the bio's more time to access.
Old 03-31-2022, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldscud View Post
"why does every lake have to have trophy fish?"

For trout lakes....
Just ONE more besides Police (which is now vulnerable to winterkill) would be awesome.

The money saved in reduced stocking at a quality lake can go toward a couple more truck loads of trout to Payne or Chain lakes. That should keep all the kids and grandparents and everyone else happily hauling out fish.

I wonder if Ressor or Miclhele Cr Res would be a good candidate for a quality trout fishery?

Having a shot at an 18-20" trout should be the norm in this province, not the exception. Could be a lot more opportunity with a simple regulation change. keep limit of 1 or 0 in stocked waterbodies that are (not) going to winterkill/summerkill/get eaten by pred species, etc....
Old 03-31-2022, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishtracker View Post
Maybe some but they have been netting this lake for the last handful of years. Why the nets if they are almost dead? Also, definitely reproduction of Walleye happening in the lake currently.

Either way, the problem still remains with introduction of trout and immediately closing the lake to bait, ice fishing, etc... Doesn't really make sense if they want the walleye and pike out of the lake to best enable the survival of most trout. Yes, they can still be caught without bait or scent but not as readily sometimes.

It would have been great if they had just left the lake alone for a few more years which would allow the bio's more time to access.
who has been netting it? I could use the reward money
Non Compliance!!!!!!
#Trudeau must go

Wheres The Funds

Old 03-31-2022, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habfan View Post
Everything dies eventually, including you, doesn’t mean we should just put a bullet in you today.

The fact is, we don’t know, and sadly we will never know, how the walleye population in PCR would have changed or adapted if simply left alone and there for the enjoyment of anglers. If by some miraculous chance they all died of old age at the same time, then what a perfect opportunity to stock some trout…

It was a terrible reason at the time, and it’s still a terrible reason today.
Old 03-31-2022, 08:25 PM

Quote:
who has been netting it? I could use the reward money
Can we please create a hotline to call everytime they F___k up another lake!!! I'll split the reward.
Old 04-01-2022, 06:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishtracker View Post
Having a shot at an 18-20" trout should be the norm in this province, not the exception. Could be a lot more opportunity with a simple regulation change. keep limit of 1 or 0 in stocked waterbodies that are (not) going to winterkill/summerkill/get eaten by pred species, etc....
Chain lakes is good example of this
Old 04-01-2022, 09:26 AM

Default Shore fishing

I fish PCR about 5-6 times a year but with the removal of hardware season it will be less.

I see a lot of shore fishermen with p-rigs/bobbers with minnows and worms. The no bait rule is definitely going to change the tackle box.

I have a canoe and have been successful trolling with spoons, drifting with plastics for both walleye and pike. I have not been able to get a trout here without using bait.

Has anyone checked the stomach contents of the trout here? I did not bother in the past as I was using bait. I have a number of wet flies, chironomids in my arsenal that I might try but I have not really noticed any large hatches in my previous outings.

I am not looking to steal anyone's secrets but generally curious on strategies that people are going to now use at this lake or is everyone going to hang up the towel on this lake and move on.
Old 04-03-2022, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seli View Post
I fish PCR about 5-6 times a year but with the removal of hardware season it will be less.

I see a lot of shore fishermen with p-rigs/bobbers with minnows and worms. The no bait rule is definitely going to change the tackle box.

I have a canoe and have been successful trolling with spoons, drifting with plastics for both walleye and pike. I have not been able to get a trout here without using bait.

Has anyone checked the stomach contents of the trout here? I did not bother in the past as I was using bait. I have a number of wet flies, chironomids in my arsenal that I might try but I have not really noticed any large hatches in my previous outings.

I am not looking to steal anyone's secrets but generally curious on strategies that people are going to now use at this lake or is everyone going to hang up the towel on this lake and move on.
Chironomids, water boatman, scuds, leeches, almost any fly suspended under a bobber will work. I have two friends that fly fish exclusively, I have never seen either fish without a bobber. Cast the rig out and watch the bobber. They catch a ton of fish. Try to imitate what you see moving around in the water, tie it on, cast it out and watch the bobber.

Thomas Sowell
Old 04-03-2022, 07:30 PM

Looks like ice is off on the sat views. Can anyone confirm?
Old 04-03-2022, 08:11 PM

I drove by it just a few hours ago. The boat launch area still has ice for a few hundred yards to the north. The rest of the lake is wide open.
Water levels are very low currently.
Old 04-03-2022, 09:52 PM

They've made it no bait at PCR??I haven't been there in years....