Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 02-28-2022, 09:00 PM

Default Airlines for Africa

Heading to South Africa for a hunt this summer. Would like to take my own rifle. Thinking of flying through Newark to Cape Town. Looking for advice on airlines and rules that will make transporting a firearm easy.

Thanks
Old 02-28-2022, 10:31 PM
Banned

If your landing in the states it wouldn’t hurt to have a atf form
6NIA completed. You’ll need to complete your temp export permits for canada asap. Need one for your rifle, one for your ammo, and one for your scope. Most airlines are not bad to deal with. They all have their own procedures and policies. You should notify them as soon as you book that you are travelling with a firearm. Arrive at the airport at least 45 min earlier than normal. Make sure you bring your pal with you for when you come back into canada and it doesn’t hurt to have it while your in transit. I have a pelican vault gun case, it’s pretty good. The bigger one has wheels on it, and you can cut the foam to put other things in there like a tripod. You can now put your ammo in the same case as your rifle as long as it’s in its own secured case
Old 03-01-2022, 10:02 PM

Is there not another rule now that if you have your ammo in a separate bag say in with your hunting clothes you have to be able to lock that as well. Last time I traveled I didn't have a lock for that bag so they let me use zip ties.
Old 03-01-2022, 10:56 PM

I have heard it recommended to fly with a major European or North American airline. Talk with your safari outfit, they deal with this constantly.
Old 03-02-2022, 07:30 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willy 1 View Post
Is there not another rule now that if you have your ammo in a separate bag say in with your hunting clothes you have to be able to lock that as well. Last time I traveled I didn't have a lock for that bag so they let me use zip ties.
They changed it now so that you can fly with your ammo in the same container as your rifle. As long as it’s in it own case
Old 03-20-2022, 11:39 AM

Default past experience flights to Africa

My 0.02 from having done the trip a number of times.

Avoid flying through the USA if possible it just adds paperwork.
Make sure you have your export permit in-hand before you depart and make arrangements with the airline for the check-in process.

KLM
Calgary to Amsterdam (Schiphol) to JNB (O.R.Tambo) where you'd clear customs then on to the airport arranged with your outfitter for pick-up.

Lufthansa
Alternatively you can fly through Frankfurt, the flight however is slightly longer.

typically flights are 21- 28 hours depending on layovers. Advisable to book an extra day just to recover some from the flight travel time.

Good luck and enjoy the trip.
Old 03-20-2022, 01:37 PM

I have had excellent experiences with Lufthansa. Used them on the first trip and continued to use them.
Old 03-20-2022, 04:28 PM
Banned

If your planning on going and taking a rifle you will need to do your export permits asap
I’m supposed to be going in June and have already scrapped the idea of bringing my own rifle
Old 03-26-2022, 12:54 PM

I am leaving for Africa in may not my first go around . My opinion stay away from Frankfurt if you are looking at a short layover like 2hrs or less. Make your connection in Amsterdam and fly KLM . Frankfurt is a massive airport and often causes delays. Last time coming home sat on tarmac for 1hr waiting for take off which made us late in Toronto for Edm. connection its a super busy airport although Lufthansa is a class airline.