Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fly-Fishing Discussion

Old 02-15-2022, 07:13 AM

Default Stream fishing with the family

Two years ago we went on a little family fly fishing trip to the crows nest for my dads 60th birthday. Although everyone had a great time renting a cabin and being able to take a short walk to the old man river the only people who were able to pull in any fish were my dad and myself. We are looking at doing a similar trip in late July early august but this time my dad and I really want to get the more inexperienced on some fish this time! Any recommendations of where a family of 6 could go around that time of year ? We are open to anywhere within about 4-5 hours of Edmonton and will likely rent a cabin for a 4 day trip. Definitely open to the same area around the crows nest or anywhere in the Coal branch etc. My dad and I used to go to the North Ram or Little Smokey many years ago with success but it’s admittedly been a while since we have actually been out focussed on catching some fish. Thanks for any help you’re willing to throw our way and tight lines!
Old 02-16-2022, 06:03 PM

Understand it’s a family outing, but I can’t think of any streams in the east slopes that I would want to fish with a group of people. Usually more than two feels like a crowd and any good day fishing requires a fair bit of walking/wading.

I know it doesn’t fit the parameters of your question, but what about heading to the island or interior for salmon. Campbell River pinks are tons of fun and easy to catch. Lots of good places to stay and everyone is guaranteed to catch 20+ fish even if they aren’t adept at fly fishing (bonus of standing next to each other all day). That or maybe head to a lake want rent a cabin with a small tinner?
Old 02-21-2022, 09:57 PM

I would also suggest BC. Most accessible streams in the Alberta foothills/mountains have been severely degraded by sedimentation, disease and poaching. The days of a short walk and easy fishing are mostly over.

Alternatively, you could get the inexperienced to improve by dedicating a fair amount of time to goldeye in the NSR before heading to the more challenging mountain streams.

Not what you (or any of us) want to hear but that’s reality now.
Old 02-26-2022, 03:07 PM

Same area Would be good, especially if you can line up a boat. The creeks and rivers, as well as the Old Man Reservoir, and a couple of small lakes around there. Good for solo fishing or spread out groups.