Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 11-21-2021, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HyperMOA View Post
Thanks for all the replies folks. Dean, I will definitely take you up on your offer. I won’t have the rifle back into my hands until Christmas though. I hope the offer stands until the new year.

I realize a barrel is likely more than I paid for the rifle. However if they are a quality rifle and worth it, maybe it’s worth saving. If it is the savage axis of its day, that’s another story.

I appreciate all the info so far; I hope there are a few more that know the history of these rifles. I’ve never done any custom rifle work before. If it’s a quality Mauser action it may be a good way to dip my toes into what I think is an endless pit of money making custom rifles. 😂

Off topic a bit but I can assure you Dean knows what's what on the bedding side. He was gracious enough to help me with my Whelen and that rifle has gone from 1" moa to a consistent .5 or better with a Devcon job. I've also had several compliments on the quality of his work.
Old 01-09-2022, 06:30 PM

With help from Dean2 today I got an education on the problems my rifle has. The barrel has some copper fouling at the throat I will deal with with a better copper solvent. He didn’t feel that was the issue however. The barrel looks good otherwise.

The stock has swelled and presses on the barrel in several spots. The action does move within it as well. So I need to fix the stock and bed it.

So now I’m going to teach myself how to do it on a couple savage axis youth rifles for practice first. So once I’m comfortable with doing this stock I’ll go through the old girl and give her a facelift over the next couple months or so.

Thanks for all the help and advice today Dean. I’m sure I’ll likely be bugging you some more in the future.