Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 11-25-2021, 01:49 PM

Default Hides

We're does a guy donate hides?

Sent from my SM-G781W using Tapatalk
Old 11-25-2021, 02:56 PM

What's the condition of them? Is it a hide that could be used to tan or is it all cut up from rough skinning?
Also what species of hide? I have had many people donate to the high school outdoor education program and we normally try to do something with them. I know colleges that also have wildlife programs will accept them too.
Old 11-25-2021, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief27 View Post
What's the condition of them? Is it a hide that could be used to tan or is it all cut up from rough skinning?
Also what species of hide? I have had many people donate to the high school outdoor education program and we normally try to do something with them. I know colleges that also have wildlife programs will accept them too.
Hide tanning would be a great class project.
Old 11-25-2021, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief27 View Post
It's a whitetail doe hide. As this was my first harvest, not really sure the quality of my skin job. Only holes I believe are from my broadhead.

Old 11-25-2021, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarychef View Post
Hide tanning would be a great class project.
It is! Hard to find a ton of time (since other classes are "more important") to get it done, but even having them flesh the hides and prepare it for tanning is a start!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timberwoodsman View Post
It's a whitetail doe hide. As this was my first harvest, not really sure the quality of my skin job. Only holes I believe are from my broadhead.

Not sure your area, but definitely see if there is a school around worth taking it, if not try contacting AHEIA see if they would be interested, they have an edmonton office and a calgary office.
Old 11-26-2021, 01:33 AM

I know people that donate their deer/elk/moose hides to natives on the Stoney Reserve that have cultural programs going where they teach their young people how to tan them, and then make drums and clothing. I'd expect that most larger reserves have similar programs.

When I was deer hunting near Meadow Lake Sask. a few years ago, we were approached a few times by natives asking for hides that we might be otherwise discarding.
Old 11-26-2021, 06:38 AM

I froze mine this year, going to try brain tanning it in the spring.
Old 11-26-2021, 07:22 AM

Not sure where you're located, but the lady who runs the liquor store in Bentley has asked us for our hides before.

They teach kids how to tan the hides as a school program.

Or your local taxidermist.
Old 11-26-2021, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lyallpeder View Post
I froze mine this year, going to try brain tanning it in the spring.
That’s a good idea and a fun project. If you plan on dry scraping, I’d suggest stringing it up on a frame now. It works so much better when the hide is frozen.
Old 11-26-2021, 09:47 AM

Quote:
That’s a good idea and a fun project. If you plan on dry scraping, I’d suggest stringing it up on a frame now. It works so much better when the hide is frozen.
I’m not sure how it’ll turn out but I don’t have room to have it laying around all winter stretched out, so I figured doing it in early summer might be better. It’ll probably be a PIA no matter what but might be fun.
Old 11-26-2021, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lyallpeder View Post
I’m not sure how it’ll turn out but I don’t have room to have it laying around all winter stretched out, so I figured doing it in early summer might be better. It’ll probably be a PIA no matter what but might be fun.
Depends on your situation. But if it’s on a rack in the back yard you can wander out whenever you want and scrape for awhile. Once it’s racked, getting rained on, frozen etc. that all helps to soften it later.

So..you’d string it up, flesh it, scrape the hair off, scrape the flesh side again then you’ve got rawhide. Take it off the frame and roll it up, it’ll keep for years and be ready when you want to brain it.
Old 11-26-2021, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Depends on your situation. But if it’s on a rack in the back yard you can wander out whenever you want and scrape for awhile. Once it’s racked, getting rained on, frozen etc. that all helps to soften it later.

So..you’d string it up, flesh it, scrape the hair off, scrape the flesh side again then you’ve got rawhide. Take it off the frame and roll it up, it’ll keep for years and be ready when you want to brain it.
Thanks, it’s just easy! I’ve been watching a lot of YouTube videos on it and it looks like a fun way to pass some time.