Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 10-14-2021, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 58thecat View Post

Maybe a less powerful ice auger….
BTDT. Hang on for dear life when the water comes out the hole.
Old 10-14-2021, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zip-in-Z View Post
Or a pair of these bolted to your boots.

D.

Anyone ever found a pair of the rubber slip on ice cleats that actually stay on more than 10 steps?
Old 10-14-2021, 05:18 PM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlbertanGP View Post
Anyone ever found a pair of the rubber slip on ice cleats that actually stay on more than 10 steps?

Huh…I drive out….haha

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 10-15-2021, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Mid-October seems like a good time for this sort of post. Someone always seems to start one of these with a table covered in new toys every Spring and Fall. And you usually can get a hot tip on a product you weren't aware of. So here goes..

I'm not posting a picture. I really have most everything anyways tbh. I did pick up an ActiveTarget so I can see if Lowrance's software updates have caught up to Garmin's LiveScope (looks promising based on some YT videos put out during the summer). I love my Livescope, and will probably just keep it to have both. But I hardly wet a hook this summer I was so busy mapping Sturgeon Lake, and I need to run Lowrance or HB to take advantage of all that work.

Despite not being a big fan of underwater cameras for the swamps that qualify as lakes in Alberta, I have to admit I did have fun with my Marcum 385c chasing perch in March before a windstorm blew it off the seat on my Otter and broke the case. After several calls back and forth with Aqua-Vu, TFH, and Cabelas, I gave up any hope of being able to get a Quad HD any time before January (50:50 not at all this season), so I picked up an HD10i Pro Gen2 during TFH's summer sale.

The only item I'm still hunting for is one of Otter's Pro-Tech rod cases. They sold out before November last season. But after somehow breaking a brand new TUCR in a Flambeau Rod Bunk the first time out last season, I really want a 48" case.
I just checked riverside outdoors in ontario and they show the pro-tech cases in stock. That is where i got mine last year.
Old 10-15-2021, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sea Hawk View Post
I just checked riverside outdoors in ontario and they show the pro-tech cases in stock. That is where i got mine last year.
Yeah I called them yesterday. They don't have them in yet, although the pallets from Otter were just starting to arrive. I'm gonna try back next week. It's sad that Otter is soooo good, but damned near impossible to get out here unless you happen to want something Cabelas is carrying.
Old 10-31-2021, 07:02 PM

I was in Edmonton at Cabela's Friday and the Otter Resort hub had just come up on their system, so I ordered it for in store pick-up when I got home Friday night. Now I'm just waiting for a call from Riverside in Thunder Bay to ship me an Otter rod case. I even managed to scrounge up a 500 series Vanford while I was down. Not sure what I'll use it on, but couldn't pass it up.

I also picked up a Fenwick World Class ice rod to compliment my TUCR Fusion & Bullwhip. I spent over an hour trying to find a Black Betty FreeFall Carbon to pair with it. I *might* have found one at a little Mom & Pop in the U.S. I'm still not sure if I love or loathe the challenge of trying to find stuff this season...
Old 10-31-2021, 08:20 PM

Quote:
I've found that these Ice Trekkers work really well.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Ice Trekkers.jpg (38.2 KB, 54 views)
Old 10-31-2021, 08:21 PM

Just finished watching some of the Smackdown Outdoors virtual ice show this weekend and now I have the ice fishing itch!

The one thing I absolutely need this season is the Jiffy Ice Scout. Its a 2.5" auger with inch markings on the side for checking ice thickness. It will definitely be replacing my spud bar!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9wpnrgJm0I0

Cabela's website looks like they will carry it but the Fishin' hole didnt have any ordered - yet! I put the bug in their ear today so they might be carrying it soon!
Old 10-31-2021, 10:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StringTheory View Post
Just finished watching some of the Smackdown Outdoors virtual ice show this weekend and now I have the ice fishing itch!

The one thing I absolutely need this season is the Jiffy Ice Scout. Its a 2.5" auger with inch markings on the side for checking ice thickness. It will definitely be replacing my spud bar!

Cabela's website looks like they will carry it but the Fishin' hole didnt have any ordered - yet! I put the bug in their ear today so they might be carrying it soon!
I'll be curious to hear your thoughts when you get it. I use Ion G2's, so carrying out that along with the drill seems like just more "stuff" to me. Mind you, a spud bar is probably at least as heavy so who knows. Anything that aids ice safety can't be a bad thing.
Old 10-31-2021, 10:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jegermiester View Post
Thanks. I'll look into those. My most recent effort last season were the Costco specials. They worked well until they wound up wrapped around my heels. Interestingly, even just walking on the rubber "frames" helps a lot.
Old 11-01-2021, 05:54 AM

I have been using these for many years and can also say they work very well. Stay on good and provide excellent traction. I haven't b ought a pair in a few years now and was lucky before as the place my wife worked sold them but she is not there any longer. She told me they used to get people coming in looking for them a lot and said they were really hard to find. May be worth posting who is selling them these days. Was getting them at Jobsite Workwear up until a few years ago.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jegermiester View Post
Old 11-01-2021, 06:14 AM

I bought mine on Amazon in 2015.

The one thing I do recommend is to take them off your boots and hang them up after you're done, so that the "cleats" dry out and don't end up getting rusty. Keeps the rubber from always being in tension mode as well, so that they go on and stay on nice and tight!

On last observation, you'll notice that there are 2 types of grips, "chain" and "diamond", I got the latter ones.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Capture.jpg (47.3 KB, 76 views)
Old 11-01-2021, 08:05 AM

Pulled the Trigger on a New Vexilar FLX-30BB Cant Wait to use it.
Old 11-02-2021, 01:30 PM

Finally got my 14.8v 48Ah Amped Outdoors battery in. I was tipped off to this battery last season here on AO, and can’t wait to test the run time on it. Should leave my 12v 18Ah Dakota Lithium in the dust.

Between this battery and the Summit Ice Fishing Shuttle, you can add $1,000 to the price of any live imaging ice fishing setup.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 238A957F-6199-4904-AF92-CAAAA7C91FC1.jpg (42.9 KB, 97 views)
Old 11-05-2021, 07:30 PM

Just ordered 2 of the Otter Ice Rod Holders and the Otter Sidekick from CMX Motorsports in Saskatchewan. Slowly getting my flip over tricked out.

Must give a shout out to the customer service at CMX. When they call you after store hours in response to an email you sent 45 minutes prior, they understand customer service. Got a heck of a selection of ice gear too.

Also have a new 12v 10amp/hr lithium battery for my underwater camera from AB Lithium in Lac La Biche. Decent prices and somewhat local too.
Old 11-05-2021, 09:47 PM

Thanks for the heads up. I just ordered my Pro-Tech 48 Deep Rod Case from them, along with some other items. Heck, saved me some shipping and I might even get lucky and win a second case in their draw.
Old 11-05-2021, 10:39 PM

I held off ordering the case as I am hoping to win one.

Last edited by JohninAB; 11-05-2021 at 10:45 PM.
Old 11-06-2021, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StringTheory View Post

I'm waiting for this as well. Should be a real day saver in terms of allowing for hole hopping in search of productive structure, while saving the battery on the Makita LXT/StrikeMaster Lite Flite.

I'm planning to use a second brushless 18v 1/2" drill for this as my Lite Flite is rigged up w/the Clam Drill Plate.

Sent from my SM-A526W using Tapatalk
Old 11-06-2021, 01:12 PM

I've been rethinking this as well. As a replacement for a spud bar it's just meh IMO. But if it makes a hole big enough to drop the AquaVu Quad HD down for a look, it could be useful. I just have to weigh it's usefulness against hauling more crap out. Especially since I plan to do more walking this season.
Old 11-08-2021, 07:35 AM

I bought a 10" ION R1 auger. Pretty stoked to not be hand cranking holes this season.
Old 11-08-2021, 08:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outbound View Post
I bought a 10" ION R1 auger. Pretty stoked to not be hand cranking holes this season.
Congrats. I was going to suggest taking it back and getting a G2, but it looks like they've updated the R1 series to compete with the Strikemaster Lithium 40v auger. You're going to love it.
Old 11-08-2021, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Congrats. I was going to suggest taking it back and getting a G2, but it looks like they've updated the R1 series to compete with the Strikemaster Lithium 40v auger. You're going to love it.
Yikes! LOL. Glad it's been updated. I've never run an powered auger, gas or electric. I'll definitely make notes this season and provide a report!
Old 11-08-2021, 03:41 PM

Just make sure you keep the battery warm and you'll be good to go. The first hole you drill you'll be sold.
Old 11-09-2021, 01:23 PM

Ordered from CMX Motorsports Friday noon. Received today. Fast delivery.

[IMG][/IMG]

Last edited by JohninAB; 11-09-2021 at 01:31 PM.
Old 11-09-2021, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohninAB View Post
Ordered from CMX Motorsports Friday noon. Received today. Fast delivery.
Nice! I called them this morning since I hadn't heard from them after placing my order Friday night. They told me they were working some bugs out since they are new to online ordering...fair enough. I helped them with some emails to check their system was working. Turns out my order is already in Edmonton and should be delivered Friday. It's nice to have someone in Western Canada that you can order Otter products from.
Old 11-09-2021, 07:11 PM

Only two more sleeps. I just finished wiring up the Lowrance Active Target to my satisfaction. It should be an interesting comparison with the Garmin Livescope. What lake to hit up first Thursday morning...

Old 11-09-2021, 10:05 PM

Quote:
I've been rethinking this as well. As a replacement for a spud bar it's just meh IMO. But if it makes a hole big enough to drop the AquaVu Quad HD down for a look, it could be useful. I just have to weigh it's usefulness against hauling more crap out. Especially since I plan to do more walking this season.
I'm not sure a quad HD will fit down that hole, it looks like it might be size on. My micro however will fit no problem! I think the Jiffy scout will be more useful for checking ice thickness when I first start to drive on, which is well outside of spud bar territory but doesn't require a full auger hole.

I walk almost exclusively, even when I had an atv - its just less hassle. I will also use it for scouting with the camera and helix and save the auger for the actual fishing. For $60, theres not much risk!
Old 11-09-2021, 10:45 PM

I have retired the old Jiffy

got this for the family

Jiffy® E6 Lightning Electric Ice Auger 40v 8"

nice change for 649$ on sale n comes in at 24#

looking forward to the ice fishing season

good luck everyone

David

Last edited by Speckle55; 11-09-2021 at 10:55 PM.
Old 11-09-2021, 11:07 PM

Quote:
Nice! I called them this morning since I hadn't heard from them after placing my order Friday night. They told me they were working some bugs out since they are new to online ordering...fair enough. I helped them with some emails to check their system was working. Turns out my order is already in Edmonton and should be delivered Friday. It's nice to have someone in Western Canada that you can order Otter products from.
Umm wow just seen this. I will definately order some stuff from them . Pick up the X-over tomorrow and start the set up, hope all goes good.
Old 11-10-2021, 02:39 AM

Quote:
Only two more sleeps. I just finished wiring up the Lowrance Active Target to my satisfaction. It should be an interesting comparison with the Garmin Livescope. What lake to hit up first Thursday morning...

Wow fishing already must be nice. I just have the garmin 63 ice fishing bundle. I was looking into live scope series per say as well as a new finder, but think this will do till next year... Maybe.