Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 10-17-2021, 01:31 PM

So FLAMES fans, thoughts on first game?? I thought we were the better 5 on 5 team personally, just can't finish. Lot's of shots was nice to see, should translate into a few more goals I hope.
We are not a team to be pushed around which I like. Anderson needs to pick his spots, wasn't a headbutt but wasn't far off it either. Also the punching after the reff is there was dumb moves all around. Can't give Oil that much PP time. Typical 1st game for us but I expect us to get batter, and would be nice to have a home game for once four our opener and maybe help break that gawd awful streak.
Anyways On to the next one.
Old 10-17-2021, 02:13 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rig-Rat View Post
So FLAMES fans, thoughts on first game?? I thought we were the better 5 on 5 team personally, just can't finish. Lot's of shots was nice to see, should translate into a few more goals I hope.
We are not a team to be pushed around which I like. Anderson needs to pick his spots, wasn't a headbutt but wasn't far off it either. Also the punching after the reff is there was dumb moves all around. Can't give Oil that much PP time. Typical 1st game for us but I expect us to get batter, and would be nice to have a home game for once four our opener and maybe help break that gawd awful streak.
Anyways On to the next one.
The only reason it wasn't a head butt is the guy he was after is about a foot shorter and 40 lbs. lighter than him...lol
Old 10-17-2021, 03:11 PM

They actually had a much better game then I anticipated, and I was really surprised that they out shot the Oilers (Smith had a good game. He must have gotten some good elixir from Keith Richards over the summer).

I told Bessie at the start of the game that Mangiappane and Dube would eclipse Johnny and Monahan. They certainly did. Two of them play with heart and passion, two of them just seem like they are coasting and I think are well past their best before date. Time to trade them while they can get something for them.

I'm wondering who is going to wear the C but it shouldn't be Tkachuk. He was actually well behaved last night, and hence not a factor either that I could tell. I like Zadorov.

Playing Sutter style hockey may not get them far this year. But it was entertaining last night. Taking penalties against Oilers is a good way to lose. Anderson's 'head butt' was a nothing burger. Didn't draw blood, and the little guy didn't even miss a shift. He served his four and McDavid scored a pretty goal on the pp. Besides, Rasmus led with his fist, momentum carried him in. If league wants to suspend him, great. I just don't want to have to break out the crying towels for all the Oilers fans who are outraged any time one of their players gets hit or roughed up in a hockey game. Because, it's a hockey game.

If Kassian had done that to Johnny with the same nothing results from a little roughing, those same fans would all be delighted. And it wouldn't have hurt my feelings at all. Because, it's hockey.

I was way more concerned about Kassian getting taken down and hitting his head on the ice in that pre-season fight, because that is actually dangerous (though it was unintentional). I was glad he didn't get badly injured, and good to see him on the ice last night stealing Monohan's stick right out of his hands. It was entertaining.

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone

Last edited by Twisted Canuck; 10-17-2021 at 03:23 PM.
Old 10-17-2021, 04:10 PM
Banned

i'm thinking (hoping?) that if they play all season the way they did last night, they'll win a lot more games than they loose.....that's the goal, right?

it always sucks when they loose to the oil.
Old 10-17-2021, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck View Post

I'm wondering who is going to wear the C but it shouldn't be Tkachuk.
That isn't going to be decided until Eichel is traded, or at least until the Flames decide they no longer want to kick tires. A few of the candidates in the discussion are also in the trade rumors.

The other piece is they may just run Alternates all season if they think there is a chance Gio resigns in the summer. I am sure that was something that was discussed between Brad and Gio before he was picked in the draft.

The game itself was not bad actually, just a little typical, when we drastically outplay a team in the first period we never have a lead to show for it. Doesn't matter how well they play if they don't get any finish.

I actually thought McDavid and Draisitle were barely noticeable unless the Oilers were on a power play.
Old 10-17-2021, 07:35 PM

We may need to start a fund to buy crying towels for the Oilers fans this year who get their panties in a knot anytime one of their team gets roughed up.

Send the waaaaambulance, such dirty cowardly blah blah blah.

Really? Did anyone get hurt or miss a shift? Was there even any blood? No? Was a double minor assessed? Yeah? Get over it Daisy.

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone
Old 10-17-2021, 08:32 PM
Banned

Quote:
We may need to start a fund to buy crying towels for the Oilers fans this year who get their panties in a knot anytime one of their team gets roughed up.

Really? Did anyone get hurt or miss a shift? Was there even any blood? No? Was a double minor assessed? Yeah? Get over it Daisy.
Ah..Shames fan got triggered That's all you got !!
Old 10-17-2021, 09:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyBoBandy View Post
You can't gaslight me Randy. Pretty sure it was Oilers fans snivelling about a nothing burger bit of roughing. I didn't whine about any of it and actually thought it was a good game. And I happily paid up my bet to Bessie.

Kinda weak there bud, I know you can do better. Maybe say something about a turtle.

Old 10-17-2021, 09:34 PM

Sitting in my hotel room in Edmonton after being here all week and reading this thread. I agree the Flames are just a mediocre team and outside of making the playoffs and making a lucky run I don't see much happening. Saying that talking to some Edm folks all week and listening to the radio it sounds like Oiler fans are getting ready for the cup parade. I think things may change a bit once the Oilers head out east to play some of the the strong teams out there where there are several. That will be the real test is against the east coast teams and get through Denver and Vegas. Should be interesting as they have high expectations but I am not sure they have enough horses in all the right places yet.
Old 10-17-2021, 10:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyBoBandy View Post
Why in hell do you even bother with this? Are you a two year old teasing someone at recess? TC provides two insightful, well thought out hockey posts, and you start this. Why don’t you try and talk hockey instead of trolling for a response. Grow up.

Talk hockey.

Last edited by sns2; 10-17-2021 at 10:13 PM.
Old 10-17-2021, 10:08 PM

Twisted Canuck, your team played a damn good hockey game I thought. They played hard and took no prisoners.

The head butt looked bad initially with the angles shown, but you are right in that it was a nothing burger. Yamo I was grinning on the bench afterward. He was in the blue for the purpose of giving, so why would we be surprised when he gets a few shots thrown his way. I like Anderson. Wish he were an Oiler. Guy plays on the edge. He gave our midget something to think about. That’s all.

I am not as down on the Flames as many are. If Johnny and Seanny start playing to their abilities, and the rest of the team plays Sutter hockey, they may surprise. You’ve got good D and goaltending.

Finally, if Treliving has shown one thing, he will be bold in trying to improve the team. His arse is definitely on the line. I think they have a jersey with Eichel already sewn on the back.
Old 10-17-2021, 11:19 PM

Quote:

Yep agreed, Tanev with the dirty play in the pre-season now that big meanie Anderson. Like listening to the 80's Oiler fans all over again.
Old 10-17-2021, 11:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sns2 View Post
Twisted Canuck, your team played a damn good hockey game I thought. They played hard and took no prisoners.

The head butt looked bad initially with the angles shown, but you are right in that it was a nothing burger. Yamo I was grinning on the bench afterward. He was in the blue for the purpose of giving, so why would we be surprised when he gets a few shots thrown his way. I like Anderson. Wish he were an Oiler. Guy plays on the edge. He gave our midget something to think about. That’s all.

I am not as down on the Flames as many are. If Johnny and Seanny start playing to their abilities, and the rest of the team plays Sutter hockey, they may surprise. You’ve got good D and goaltending.

Finally, if Treliving has shown one thing, he will be bold in trying to improve the team. His arse is definitely on the line. I think they have a jersey with Eichel already sewn on the back.
I'm not sold on our defense yet myself, If the few main guys step up I will feel better. Time will tell.
How much fun would last night have been if we had ole Eichle in the lineup? I thought that a couple times last night.
Old 10-18-2021, 06:21 AM

Quote:
I'm not sold on our defense yet myself, If the few main guys step up I will feel better. Time will tell.
How much fun would last night have been if we had ole Eichle in the lineup? I thought that a couple times last night.
Ooohh baby, it would have been a ring a ding dong dandy!
Old 10-18-2021, 06:23 AM

Quote:
Yep agreed, Tanev with the dirty play in the pre-season now that big meanie Anderson. Like listening to the 80's Oiler fans all over again.
A few, just like your team’s fans, but certainly not all. Truth be told most of us just like good hockey.
Old 10-18-2021, 07:14 AM

Quote:

I watched the replay a dozen times trying to see the "big" headbutt and the most I saw was some head contact that usually happens when guys lockup in close proximity.

What I had a problem with (and take the size difference out of the equation) is the 3 hay makers Andersson threw while Yamo's arms and hands were tied up by the ref. That is down right cheap and equivalent to hitting a guy while is is unable to defend himself.
Old 10-18-2021, 08:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brendan's dad View Post
I watched the replay a dozen times trying to see the "big" headbutt and the most I saw was some head contact that usually happens when guys lockup in close proximity.

What I had a problem with (and take the size difference out of the equation) is the 3 hay makers Andersson threw while Yamo's arms and hands were tied up by the ref. That is down right cheap and equivalent to hitting a guy while is is unable to defend himself.
For sure, and the refs handed out a double minor, and we scored. I bet Yamo will take that again and again for that outcome.
Old 10-18-2021, 08:07 AM

Perhaps le ‘Morte Mousse’ could chime in here….

BWAHAHAHAHAHA…..!

We’ll be hearing crickets from him…
"I don't always troll, only on days that end in Y."
Old 10-18-2021, 08:14 AM

I agree, Anderson didn't need to throw those bombs on Yami, he crossed the line. Hence the double minor that cost them a goal, and hence the league fined him $5K. Seems like ample smackdown to me. Critical point, there was *no* injury, no blood, no hurt feelings even I'd guess. Sometimes you just have to let a nothing burger go. You can bet this is the type of gritty aggressive play Sutter wants out of his team.

As a hockey fan you either like that kind of hockey, or you don't. That's fair. But don't like it when your team is dishing it, and complaining about it if your team is receiving it. Like I mentioned earlier, the guys who complain that it happened to Yami would probably have been out of their seats pounding glass if it had been Kassian doing it to Johnny. We call that hypocrisy.

Old 10-18-2021, 10:37 AM

Quote:
I agree, Anderson didn't need to throw those bombs on Yami, he crossed the line. Hence the double minor that cost them a goal, and hence the league fined him $5K. Seems like ample smackdown to me. Critical point, there was *no* injury, no blood, no hurt feelings even I'd guess. Sometimes you just have to let a nothing burger go. You can bet this is the type of gritty aggressive play Sutter wants out of his team.

As a hockey fan you either like that kind of hockey, or you don't. That's fair. But don't like it when your team is dishing it, and complaining about it if your team is receiving it. Like I mentioned earlier, the guys who complain that it happened to Yami would probably have been out of their seats pounding glass if it had been Kassian doing it to Johnny. We call that hypocrisy.
Actually, your last line, I’d bet that most would be highly embarrassed if kass started hay making Johnny with or without his hands tied up by the refs. Lol
I know I would.
Turtles though….. yes, lots of glass pounding would be going on.
I’ll go as far as to say I’d bet money that every oilers fan on this thread would be ashamed if kass beat up Johnny. Lol
Old 10-18-2021, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talking moose View Post
Actually, your last line, I’d bet that most would be highly embarrassed if kass started hay making Johnny with or without his hands tied up by the refs. Lol
I know I would.
Moose, it was a nothing burger roughing play. Do you really think Rasmus waited till the ref tied up Yami so he could hit him? C'mon man. He'd already crossed the line, thrown one punch, before the ref even showed up, then threw a couple more. It happened fast, and was over fast, and it was nothing. All this moral posturing and 'I would be embarrassed' and such nonsense.

For Christ's sake, it's hockey. Like Sns2 said, Yami was in the blue paint, Rasmus was doing his job and took him out of the blue paint with a little too much zeal. No blood, no injury, first game of the season in the BOA. Just sending a message, stay off our goalie. Big deal. As if Yami got beat up, what a stretch.

Old 10-18-2021, 10:50 AM
Banned

One play I noticed more. And, it may be an example of how much of a team the Shames have.
One of your smaller players, can’t remember who, got crushed at the offensive blue line. Normally there would be some sort of reaction immediately. Especially if your “enforcer” is on the ice. It was like Lucic didn’t even notice, just kept skating along the boards.
Old 10-18-2021, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Moose, it was a nothing burger roughing play. Do you really think Rasmus waited till the ref tied up Yami so he could hit him? C'mon man. He'd already crossed the line, thrown one punch, before the ref even showed up, then threw a couple more. It happened fast, and was over fast, and it was nothing. All this moral posturing and 'I would be embarrassed' and such nonsense.

For Christ's sake, it's hockey. Like Sns2 said, Yami was in the blue paint, Rasmus was doing his job and took him out of the blue paint with a little too much zeal. No blood, no injury, first game of the season in the BOA. Just sending a message, stay off our goalie. Big deal. As if Yami got beat up, what a stretch.
Whoah! Pump the brakes lol, I agree with everything you said. Sheeesh man.
That’s why I singled out your last line only. You said oil fans would love kass doing it to Johnny. I said nope. We wouldn’t.
Old 10-18-2021, 10:53 AM

Ps.
Where do you get that I think it’s a big deal? Lol
Old 10-18-2021, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Whoah! Pump the brakes lol, I agree with everything you said. Sheeesh man.
That’s why I singled out your last line only. You said oil fans would love kass doing it to Johnny. I said nope. We wouldn’t.
Ok, sorry Moose. I read too many whiney burn Rasmus at the stake comments on Twitter and other forums on the weekend and it gave me a headache. Some of the comments were on the Oilers thread here. Tossing around words like dirty, cowardly, cheap. It kind of rankled me. Some people can't watch a simple hockey play involving some roughing without impugning the character of an entire organisation and it's fan base. Such a stretch.

I should stay off hockey threads, like I do the covid thread. It never ends well for me.

Old 10-18-2021, 10:59 AM

Quote:
I know I would.
I’ll go as far as to say I’d bet money that every oilers fan on this thread would be ashamed if kass beat up Johnny. Lol
Absolutely! Kass, wouldn't even accept a challenge from Johnny. Kass is a tad smarter than Anderson in these situations. Anderson is a grunt nothing more nothing less.

We're sure dissecting a nothing burger here. It warranted the 4 minutes. 5k might of been to send a message to the league. Time will tell.

BW
Old 10-18-2021, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Ok, sorry Moose. I read too many whiney burn Rasmus at the stake comments on Twitter and other forums on the weekend and it gave me a headache. Some of the comments were on the Oilers thread here. Tossing around words like dirty, cowardly, cheap. It kind of rankled me. Some people can't watch a simple hockey play involving some roughing without impugning the character of an entire organisation and it's fan base. Such a stretch.

I should stay off hockey threads, like I do the covid thread. It never ends well for me.
Haha I hear you.
Nobody should stay off hockey threads.(well maybe dead moose).
Yes more than a few should stay off the covid thread.
Old 10-18-2021, 02:22 PM

Quote:

No way. You are an insightful poster on all things, hockey included. Just use the ignore function for guys you consider trolls and are just here to stir feces. This forum needs more guys like you, not less. For real.
Old 10-18-2021, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Why in hell do you even bother with this? Are you a two year old teasing someone at recess? TC provides two insightful, well thought out hockey posts, and you start this. Why don’t you try and talk hockey instead of trolling for a response. Grow up.

Talk hockey.

Yikes

What the hell kind of comment is that? Sorry sns2, some one needs to take a break.

Flames fans give crap to oilers fans and Oiler fans give crap to flames fans.

Talking hockey is good though!

made in Alberta__ born n raised.

FS-Tinfool hats by the roll.

Last edited by huntsfurfish; 10-18-2021 at 02:40 PM.
Old 10-18-2021, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntsfurfish View Post
Yikes

What the hell kind of comment is that? Sorry sns2, some one needs to take a break.

Flames fans give crap to oilers fans and Oiler fans give crap to flames fans.

Talking hockey is good though!
No I don’t think I do. I stand by every word I said. Mocking emojis directed at guys who are trying to talk hockey. Nah, not cool. In my world that’s trolling. There was not a single word about hockey. Just an unnecessary, juvenile jab of a post. And I’m an Oilers fan. But, your opinion is equally valid as mine.
Closed Thread