Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 09-19-2021, 04:36 PM

We hit hopewell yesterday morning.
I got there just before legal shoot,the usual people were already out in the field with there dogs on a leash then all hell broke loose.
Must of been 20 shots before we got into the field.There was 3 of us shooting we took 4 birds and left,the people who started the shooting were still out there.Either they are a very poor shot or dont respect the bag limit.

On the plus side it was perfect conditions for the dogs to work,seeing them do there thing always puts a smile on my face.
Old 09-19-2021, 05:21 PM

Default 90 birds dropped at Hopewell at 5 45 am yesterday

Several vehicles were waiting for legal light including F & W so if they didnt respect the limit (which is a problem at this site) they might have paid for it when returning to their trucks!
Old 09-21-2021, 07:49 PM

Great day out today at Daysland. Birds well spaced out over a very wide area. A bit warm for the dog but we sat for a while in the shade. Very few shots (4 heard in 3 hours) & only 1 other hunter seen. Some very wary birds that flushed wild and beyond shooting range. Birds seems stronger and in better shape (good tails). I winged one bird and went to where it went down but my dog knew better and took off about 50 yards off and grabbed the runner. Those birds can move if winged. It was a great reminder to always trust the dog.
Old 09-21-2021, 09:41 PM

Default Pheasant Season

Had an interesting day out at hopewell. I am thinking that there must have been a release this morning although I did not see a release truck; I was parked there at first light and there were several vehicles parked when light broke (on the way back to my truck after an hour I counted just under 30 parked vehicles)

This is my first experience at this site as I have a younger pup. Figured getting there at first light on a weekday might beat some of the crowds, however was not the case. Lots of distractions with hunters and dogs running all over the place and lots of shooting!

Despite the fact that it is not really my scene with how crazy busy it is, I do still appreciate these ACA release sites. Nice to be able to go out to a spot where a guy can take the pup for an early morning walk with the shotgun and may even get the odd pheasant.

DR

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 10-12-2021, 11:14 AM

I will admit I learned about pheasant hunting many many moons ago on the release sites but I wont touch most of them now. I was by Rolling Hills twice a few years ago where i saw the release truck show up with many waiting shooters ( i wont call this hunting ) and one group got out with 6 guys and 8 dogs and raked the site. Disgusting in my opinion. There is the odd out of the way site that can provide a nice outing very much depending.
Old 10-12-2021, 02:29 PM

Got my birds yesterday afternoon after covering a lot of ground.

Dog picked up three dead birds... two of which were stacked side by side. Brutal to think that people are just shooting birds for the sake of shooting.

Saw a few large groups (6+ people). Looks Dangerous.
Old 10-13-2021, 10:48 AM

flyon, probably over shoot their limit and when F & W showed up abandoned them, real sportsmen!
Old 10-15-2021, 04:49 PM

Not much shooting at Daysland today but a lot of hunters out: I was dodging hunters and dogs a lot more than usual for a morning hunt. I found 2 birds in 2.5 hours of walking and got both. I lucked out with one of the birds: a hawk put it up and I saw it land in some cattails so it gave me a heads up. It felt fine taking the hawk's lunch.
Old 10-15-2021, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ursus View Post
Not much shooting at Daysland today but a lot of hunters out: I was dodging hunters and dogs a lot more than usual for a morning hunt. I found 2 birds in 2.5 hours of walking and got both. I lucked out with one of the birds: a hawk put it up and I saw it land in some cattails so it gave me a heads up. It felt fine taking the hawk's lunch.
Fridays have been getting busy, Monday through Thursday, have been far less crowded on average.
Old 10-16-2021, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
Just a heads up, be aware that some hen pheasants have been seen at some of the release sites, including Daysland.
See no reason why you cant shoot hens on a release site,wont live past the winter anyway.
Old 10-16-2021, 11:57 AM

Had some time to run my GSP yesterday afternoon here. Birds were fairly plentiful and didn't take long to knock down a couple ditch parrots.

Had the pleasure of running into a friend in the morning who gave me an idea as I was buying peppers from his greenhouse. Slice the breast about 1/2 thick, hollow out a sweet and jalapeno pepper, and put breast in with cream cheese and wrap with bacon...

Heavenly meal on the BBQ. Thanks Ralf !
Old 10-16-2021, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckman View Post
See no reason why you cant shoot hens on a release site,wont live past the winter anyway.
While that is true, the regs don't allow hens to be taken, which is why it wasn't smart to release hens at the release sites.
Old 10-16-2021, 05:40 PM

Quote:
While that is true, the regs don't allow hens to be taken, which is why it wasn't smart to release hens at the release sites.
You never know
They might not be the smartest of birds but every year i hope some make it and start to breed and hatch some eggs.
The more wild or semi wild population around alberta the better for everyone.
Leave them hens be.
Old 10-16-2021, 07:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmyd View Post
You never know
They might not be the smartest of birds but every year i hope some make it and start to breed and hatch some eggs.
The more wild or semi wild population around alberta the better for everyone.
Leave them hens be.
By all means release hens if you like, just not at a release site, many people won't even notice it is a hen, if one flushes by them.
Old 10-17-2021, 06:49 AM

Quote:
By all means release hens if you like, just not at a release site, many people won't even notice it is a hen, if one flushes by them.
Exactly,will be left in the field for the Coyotes.
Old 10-17-2021, 08:35 AM

I see no probkem with releasing hens and also see no difference in shooting a hen on a release site than shooting a sharptail or a hun out of season in the same site .
The same old story applies - dunno what it is and can't positively identify your target, don't shoot.
Cat
Old 10-17-2021, 10:28 AM

Default hens

I raised and released pheasants. The hens were the longest survivors for years. The cocks always crowed too much in spring about how great lovers they were and raptors ate them for lunch.
Old 10-17-2021, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Grey Wolf View Post
I raised and released pheasants. The hens were the longest survivors for years. The cocks always crowed too much in spring about how great lovers they were and raptors ate them for lunch.
I've seen them stand on the highway and try to face down an oncoming semi in the spring.
Old 10-17-2021, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Grey Wolf View Post
Hens are probably smarter than Cocks. I assume you never put the blinders on your birds they use to raise them in the hatcheries. The blinders go through the birds nasal opening.In the winter many die from the cold and snow due to this reason,depending on the severity of the winter.
Old 10-18-2021, 09:59 AM

No blinders!
Old 10-21-2021, 09:13 AM

Default Still Releasing in 200 zones

Friend of mine was at Buffalo Lake on weekend and he was told that they stopped releasing birds as of October 18th.

When I look at the ACA site, releases are to continue until next Thursday. I’m thinking of heading to Two Hills site tomorrow.

Thanks in advance for any intel.

Tony
Old 10-21-2021, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by simpatico View Post
Friend of mine was at Buffalo Lake on weekend and he was told that they stopped releasing birds as of October 18th.

When I look at the ACA site, releases are to continue until next Thursday. I’m thinking of heading to Two Hills site tomorrow.

Thanks in advance for any intel.

Tony
The releases will continue into next week,. according to a driver that I talked to earlier this week.
Old 10-21-2021, 11:47 AM

Default Great News!

Thanks Elk!
Old 10-21-2021, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by simpatico View Post
Thanks Elk!
I just left Daysland, never saw the truck, but so many birds, they must have released. We worked to stretch it out to 45 mintes for six birds.
Old 10-22-2021, 06:15 PM

I was at Daysland at sunrise today. We (dog and I) put up 3 birds in a bit over 2 hours and got 2. It was shaping up to be a busy day there when we left about 10:30. Trucks parked at most entry points and lots of hunters heading in. It was a nice day out. Birds were looking more like grouse with no tails today - I don't eat the tails so doesn't matter that much.
Old 10-22-2021, 06:23 PM

Frank has been pretty sparse the last couple days. I hope they release some birds soon !
Old 10-22-2021, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ursus View Post
I was at Daysland at sunrise today. We (dog and I) put up 3 birds in a bit over 2 hours and got 2. It was shaping up to be a busy day there when we left about 10:30. Trucks parked at most entry points and lots of hunters heading in. It was a nice day out. Birds were looking more like grouse with no tails today - I don't eat the tails so doesn't matter that much.
Today I shot the first pheasant of the week with a full tail. For some reason, most of the birds had very poor tails this week. It sounded like a release today around 11:30, but it was people shooting at the thousands of snow geese flying over, after feeding in an adjacent field. They flew over pretty much continually for over 30 minutes.
Old 10-23-2021, 11:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by petesapie View Post
Frank has been pretty sparse the last couple days. I hope they release some birds soon !

First time at frank today.. gotta wonder where a pheasant can hide there. Not sure why DU is allowing cattle to graze in there, but the middle quarter was grazed down to look like Astro turf.

DR

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 10-24-2021, 06:14 AM

Has been a tough year for us. Both of the dogs (both 10) and I are really feeling our age this year. Most we can manage is a couple of hours, while our success has been good so far we all pay for it that night. Back to back days are out for the dogs and my hips.

Thomas Sowell
Old 10-24-2021, 09:45 AM

Have not been out at Frank, but with the drought this past summer, I can see some farmers grazing their pastures right down so that they can try and keep their farms going.