Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 10-11-2021, 11:41 AM

Default What New Ice Fishing Gear Has You Excited for This Season?

Mid-October seems like a good time for this sort of post. Someone always seems to start one of these with a table covered in new toys every Spring and Fall. And you usually can get a hot tip on a product you weren't aware of. So here goes..

I'm not posting a picture. I really have most everything anyways tbh. I did pick up an ActiveTarget so I can see if Lowrance's software updates have caught up to Garmin's LiveScope (looks promising based on some YT videos put out during the summer). I love my Livescope, and will probably just keep it to have both. But I hardly wet a hook this summer I was so busy mapping Sturgeon Lake, and I need to run Lowrance or HB to take advantage of all that work.

Despite not being a big fan of underwater cameras for the swamps that qualify as lakes in Alberta, I have to admit I did have fun with my Marcum 385c chasing perch in March before a windstorm blew it off the seat on my Otter and broke the case. After several calls back and forth with Aqua-Vu, TFH, and Cabelas, I gave up any hope of being able to get a Quad HD any time before January (50:50 not at all this season), so I picked up an HD10i Pro Gen2 during TFH's summer sale.

The only item I'm still hunting for is one of Otter's Pro-Tech rod cases. They sold out before November last season. But after somehow breaking a brand new TUCR in a Flambeau Rod Bunk the first time out last season, I really want a 48" case.
Old 10-11-2021, 12:19 PM

If you look at riffle cases, this might fit what you need for a rod case, or even a arrow case
Old 10-11-2021, 01:17 PM

Dedicated rod cases can usually carry more rods in reasonably similar sizes and typically offer a bit better protection in my experience. But I agree rifle cases can work really well...I've used them in the past before hard-sided ice rod cases became a thing.
Old 10-11-2021, 03:51 PM

This ... it's B-new for 2021/22 - Marcum Pursuit HD-L, got it last week and it did it's job finding structure = Whites. Looking forward to the hard water season.

D.

Old 10-11-2021, 04:07 PM

Nice! Hard to beat that for hole hopping. Looks like it has a real good picture as well.
Old 10-12-2021, 09:06 AM

Only item I have purchased so far and long overdue is an Eskimo Keeper flotation suit.

Have been checking out some accessories for my Eskape 2600 shelter.
Old 10-12-2021, 10:31 AM

I'm pretty happy / satisfied with the gear that I have and the condition it's in, so nothing too exciting on my list. I do appreciate quality warm clothing these days as I get older though, so maybe some new base layers for me.
Old 10-12-2021, 11:31 AM

Picked up a new Clam C-720 Shelter, hoping to do some overnighters and going from a 2 man uninsulated to this is a much welcomed change.

video: https://youtu.be/w8QXA9jbQR8

Picked up a Frostbite "Slapshot" rod 32" M looking forward to testing that out as well.

Picked up some accessories that I will release videos/reviews for.
Old 10-12-2021, 11:44 AM

Default What New Ice Fishing Gear Has You Excited for This Season?

I built a quick detach platform for the back of my snowmobile to carry my stuff easier, while still being able to pop it off quickly to tarp it. Looking forward to getting it out on the ice.

YouTube: Harder Outdoors
Instagram: @harderoutdoors
FB: HarderOutdoors
Old 10-12-2021, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohninAB View Post
Only item I have purchased so far and long overdue is an Eskimo Keeper flotation suit.

Have been checking out some accessories for my Eskape 2600 shelter.
You'll love it! The dedicated ice fishing suits are warm and comfy and the added safety at first and last ice is nice.

Don't be afraid to check out other manufacturer's when looking for accessories to trick out your shelter. I have lots of Clam products in my Otters.
Old 10-12-2021, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBigShooter View Post
Picked up a new Clam C-720 Shelter, hoping to do some overnighters and going from a 2 man uninsulated to this is a much welcomed change.

video: https://youtu.be/w8QXA9jbQR8

Picked up a Frostbite "Slapshot" rod 32" M looking forward to testing that out as well.

Picked up some accessories that I will release videos/reviews for.
Interesting tent. I didn't know anyone was making a downsize hub shelter in that size range. Most "double hubs" are 8' X 14" like my Eskimo 9416i. I'll be curious how it works for overnighting.
Old 10-12-2021, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamSteele View Post
I built a quick detach platform for the back of my snowmobile to carry my stuff easier, while still being able to pop it off quickly to tarp it. Looking forward to getting it out on the ice.

Sled looks good! Saw your boat at Rainbow the other day too.
Old 10-12-2021, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlbertanGP View Post
You'll love it! The dedicated ice fishing suits are warm and comfy and the added safety at first and last ice is nice.

Don't be afraid to check out other manufacturer's when looking for accessories to trick out your shelter. I have lots of Clam products in my Otters.
Definitely! Eskimo is a bit lacking when it comes to quality accessories so I have been checking out Otter as they seem to have some nice stuff.
Old 10-12-2021, 08:44 PM

I put my Helix 8 MSI+ on a portable shuttle as well. Helix 5 with ZeroLines card will go on the sled dash for driving and can drop on a second shuttle if I have others along to serve flasher/sonar duty.

Old 10-12-2021, 09:00 PM

Something tells me you won't be zipping that Helix 8 up. lol. I bit the bullet and bought a Summit Shuttle for my ActiveTarget yesterday. Close to $500...without a battery...YEESH. Then Brian at TFH informs me today that Lowrance is coming out with a case. But a) It probably won't fit my HDS Carbon 12 and b) who knows if it'll even be available this season. Availability seems to be worse this year than last. People that wait until its time to fish to buy stuff are going to be sorry...
Old 10-12-2021, 09:27 PM

Thanks to the OP for this thread... So stoked for hardwater!

At the end of last season I bought new Striker Hardwater bibs that I only got to use once and I'm very excited to use them more. Also bought a Frostbite Dipstick for dead sticking and it was phenomenal the one that I used it. Again, super stoked for a full season with it.

For new stuff, I'd love to upgrade from my Jiffy propane auger to a 40V, but just can't justify it when the propane still runs like a dream. As mentioned in another thread, we want to upgrade from a double bubble non insulated tent to a massive insulated unit that we can do overnight trips in. Still doing research on what is the right model for us.

Last year we really dialed in a new to us fishing spot and are looking to take the next step this year by consistently putting trophies on the ice and not just any fish that bites. ****ing gas prices are going to be a bit of a pain (spot is 3 hours from home) but life is short and fishing is important!
Old 10-13-2021, 07:27 AM
Banned

Default Farewell ice holes

None of it!! I have decided to hang up my ice cleats and sell my (4 man-2 man) tent and 8" power auger. Too cold for my old bones anymore. I'll keep the basics just in case; it's all vintage anyway and makes a nice addition to the walls of my den.

Free
Old 10-13-2021, 07:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poppa View Post
Last year we really dialed in a new to us fishing spot and are looking to take the next step this year by consistently putting trophies on the ice and not just any fish that bites. ****ing gas prices are going to be a bit of a pain (spot is 3 hours from home) but life is short and fishing is important!
I read an article this morning from reliable sources that gas will almost certainly be $2.00/l next December. Also read another article about how Trump was building LNG export terminals while we couldn't get our $%^& together up here. Now the US is in a position where they could actually export every bit they produce overseas and just buy ours at a discount and make a tidy profit. GJ Canada...

But I digress. Back to a happier topic.
Old 10-13-2021, 07:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freedom55 View Post
None of it!! I have decided to hang up my ice cleats and sell my (4 man-2 man) tent and 8" power auger. Too cold for my old bones anymore. I'll keep the basics just in case; it's all vintage anyway and makes a nice addition to the walls of my den.

Free
I was thinking about when this time would come for me last night. I don't see it for a long time yet thankfully. But I figured it would be the cold that would eventually do me in. Hopefully the kids take me out and drill my holes and bait my hooks for me when I get too old to do it myself.
Old 10-13-2021, 08:35 AM

Quote:
The only item I'm still hunting for is one of Otter's Pro-Tech rod cases. They sold out before November last season. But after somehow breaking a brand new TUCR in a Flambeau Rod Bunk the first time out last season, I really want a 48" case.
I see that Cabela's has the Otter Pro Tech cases in stock online:
https://www.cabelas.ca/product/14137...-tech-rod-case

Last year I added a Ice Defense Pro to my flasher since I was fishing outside most of the year. (Didnt want to share a tent during Covid). Its a great accessory, kept my hole from freezing over completely during a -35 cold snap!

https://www.stringtheoryangling.ca/c...se-pro-review/

How do you like that Eskape 2600, JohninAB? My one man flip is feeling a bit too cozy.
Old 10-13-2021, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamSteele View Post

what kind of sled is that mounted on? I am looking at getting one for mainly fishing and trapping.
Old 10-13-2021, 08:38 AM

Quote:
Also read another article about how Trump was building LNG export terminals while we couldn't get our $%^& together up here.
Do you have a link to Trump building this? Is it a new private project of his since he left office.

My blog - casting on the waters

fishing regulations and facts on fish handling
Fishing Regulations
Old 10-13-2021, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esox View Post
what kind of sled is that mounted on? I am looking at getting one for mainly fishing and trapping.

It’s a 2013 Arctic Cat T570, which has been replaced with the Lynx. I’ve had it for only one winter but it’s been good so far.

Old 10-13-2021, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lornce View Post
Do you have a link to Trump building this? Is it a new private project of his since he left office.
I made a post in the General Discussion forum, so this thread doesn't get completely derailed. Happy reading...

http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showt...20#post4425120
Old 10-13-2021, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StringTheory View Post
I see that Cabela's has the Otter Pro Tech cases in stock online:
https://www.cabelas.ca/product/14137...-tech-rod-case

Last year I added a Ice Defense Pro to my flasher since I was fishing outside most of the year. (Didnt want to share a tent during Covid). Its a great accessory, kept my hole from freezing over completely during a -35 cold snap!

https://www.stringtheoryangling.ca/c...se-pro-review/

How do you like that Eskape 2600, JohninAB? My one man flip is feeling a bit too cozy.
Yeah I saw that they have the regular Otter case available online only. I kinda want the deep one so the reels hang down instead of on their side and I can fit more. Mind you with the price, maybe I should get the normal one.

The Ice Defense Pro is the real deal. I bought one on a whim last season to try and was really surprised how effective it is.

For solo fishing out of a flip shelter, I really like my Clam Yukon TC. It's a smaller two man tent that really works well for one person. There's a rule of thumb that your flip should be one person bigger than you intend to use (two person for a single fisherman, three person for two, etc.) I've found it to be a good general rule.
Old 10-13-2021, 10:11 AM

Quote:
For solo fishing out of a flip shelter, I really like my Clam Yukon TC. It's a smaller two man tent that really works well for one person. There's a rule of thumb that your flip should be one person bigger than you intend to use (two person for a single fisherman, three person for two, etc.) I've found it to be a good general rule.
That is a good rule of thumb and I agree. I had a 2 man Eskimo quickflip (the green one) before my one man. I liked the space but it was a pita to move around in any amount of snow and on bare ice there wasnt enough weight in the sled so wind would send me for a ride. Since then I've discovered the smitty sled and now I can comfortably tow a hundred pounds kilometers in a day. So now I'm thinking a two man insulated flip over would be more comfortable than my one man and easier to run and gun than my hub shelter.
Old 10-13-2021, 10:35 AM

I read the first two sentences, and was about to recommend a Smitty sled, but you already figured it out. They do make a huge difference. Flip shelters are infinitely better for run and gun fishing. Hubs are too cozy...they make us lazy. Definitely go insulated. There is just no downside once you get over the initial cost.
Old 10-13-2021, 11:00 PM

Still in the middle of hunting season so haven't got the itch really at all yet but hopefully will add another flip over shelter. Originally was dead set on the otter lodge but looking more at the eskimo eskapes as well. Haven't even checked on availability or what not but need to get an ice ducer for a garmin finder I picked up in the spring, and a big battery. Couple bait feeder reels, maybe a rod or two and that should do it.
Old 10-14-2021, 03:16 PM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Maybe a less powerful ice auger….

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 10-14-2021, 04:58 PM

Or a pair of these bolted to your boots.

D.