Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 11-14-2009, 05:56 PM

Default Recovered TSX

Just as a point of interest. My dad snuck a 120 gr TSX from his 7mm-08 just inside the point of the shoulder of a Mule Deer buck as he angled steeply towards him at about 125 yds. We recovered the bullet just under the hide about 4 inches from his tail. The petal in the picture was from the second shot that crunched the other shoulder as he swapped ends. It was found just under the hide on the opposite shoulder.

-Billy Molls
Old 11-14-2009, 06:13 PM

very nice!! cant wait to try 140gr TSX from my 7mm-08 next fall on a moose!!
Old 11-14-2009, 06:28 PM

Pretty typical results for the TSX.
Old 11-14-2009, 08:00 PM

I put 2 110 grain ttsx out of a 270 short mag through an antelope this fall. Both were pass throughs and both shed petals in the buck.
Old 11-14-2009, 08:25 PM

Got some loaded up for the 7mm WSM for White Tail Season that starts Monday. Hope to see how they work!
Old 11-14-2009, 08:29 PM

Quote:
Got some loaded up for the 7mm WSM for White Tail Season that starts Monday
I doubt that you will be disappointed.Myself and my hunting partners have used the 140gr .284" TSX,TTSX,and MRX,and all have done a great job.
'
Old 11-14-2009, 08:35 PM
gitrdun

It's the only bullet that'll kill anything. Everything else isn't even worth mentioning.
Old 11-16-2009, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gitrdun View Post
It's the only bullet that'll kill anything. Everything else isn't even worth mentioning.
I had no idea other brands were available I just put a tsx through a whitetail but it went right through. I have yet to catch one in a critter. The biggest I have seen is 338 from a RUM. 225gr at 450yds. Looked like the ads. The one I used was 450gr so I wasn't expecting to see it any time soon. It might be in orbit for all I know

WOODY
CSSA NFAMember
Old 11-16-2009, 11:02 AM

Betcha that tenderized the backstraps.
Old 11-16-2009, 11:09 AM

Copper inside the deer makes me feel alot better than little chunks of lead shrapnel embedded in the meat.
Old 11-16-2009, 11:50 AM

I have a 300 WBY, i was using a 165gr TSX...Shot a Moose at about 70 Twice..When we skinned the Moose...The 1 Bullet itself never even opened up...all in one piece...just a bit bent at the tip
Old 11-16-2009, 04:02 PM

You mean like this?

-Billy Molls
Old 11-16-2009, 04:55 PM

5 deer all drop no move at all .270 wsm.140 tsx from 250-350yd shoot
Old 11-17-2009, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck View Post
You mean like this?

Yes...thats what i mean...thnks
Old 11-17-2009, 09:32 AM

I think the TSX and the old x bullets are susceptible to nose deformation causing failures. I have seen some x's that were in and out of the mag or beating around in a truck and the nose was mis-shaped. I think if the nose is not in good shape it may not open. This could be caused by a rib hit that bends the bullet before it can open properly. Some tipped bullets have shown similar problems if they are damaged also. If you can use a TTSX then this should not be a problem. Or at least minimize it. I have used x's for about 18 years and have never seen a failure in mine or friends bullets. I have seen one Partition fail in this time and a few non bonded failures. I know every bullet can fail but x's are still my choice.

WOODY
CSSA NFAMember
Old 11-17-2009, 10:01 AM

ot to Hi-jack the thread but I have read about the x bullet failures from broken petals to not even opening, that combined with a poor BC I decided to go with the Nosler E-Tips for the last two years I shot two deer last year and both dropped on the spot with the bullet never being recoverd (full pass throughs) This year I had a deer quatering towards me and he made it maybe 15yardsut Iwas able to retrieve the bullet see my earlier post. gat performance with excellent BC.
http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showt...668#post434668
Old 11-17-2009, 11:27 AM

Chuck,

That looks pretty standard for a TSX!

I have a couple 140Gr 7mm that I have recovered over the years that look exactly the same.

I love these bullets!
"I find it amazing that we, as a society, find it so easy to view the perpetrators of crime with an understanding and knowing that they are suffering from the frailties of being a human being yet we cannot seem to extend that same courtesy to the very people we ask to face, on a daily basis, the worst that mankind has to offer."
-Dave (Whiskey Wish)-
Old 11-18-2009, 09:14 PM

Thanks for posting the pics.
btw, great shooting on your dad's part.
Old 11-19-2009, 08:01 AM

I have some of Barnes first bullets that after anchoring a wounded 7x7 mulie behaved more like FMJ's and failed to expand.I talked to Randy Barnes and he admitted the early bullets have had this type of inconsistancy.A lrg 4x4 mulie was drilled lengthways and after 6ft pefect petal peeling so it was never the same way twice.Shot a sheep and a WT buck same season and they ran off 125 yards leaving no blood trail and just falling over.........havn't used Barnes since but in all fairness they probably have improved..........Harold
Old 11-19-2009, 10:26 AM

Never shot the earlier barnes bullets but have to say the modern ones I have used the last 4 years worked very well. Never recovered a bullet yet, all have been pass throughs, but all game were also bang-flops. None have moved more than a foot or two, but also all to date have been deer. The bigger stuff I have still been using Hornadys and it will take quite a few more shots on game before I would give these the same unquestioned faith I have in the Hornadys I have used for the last 40 years.

I go through a couple of thousand or more small caliber a year on varmits. The Barnes Varmit grenades are an exception to the above comment. Hornady SPSXs, V-maxs, A-maxs and Sierra Blitz and Blitzkings are all in my experience superior in accuracy and explosive effect on varmits, are quite a bit cheaper and not nearly as picky as to which guns they shoot well in. The VGs have only grouped well out of a couple of my guns and don't show the explosive impact of the others.
Old 11-19-2009, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hillbillyreefer View Post
Betcha that tenderized the backstraps.
No I could eat right up to the hole, if I could stand deer ribs that is. Took out 2 ribs in and the same out. As this is my 460th post I thought I would refer to my 460
And for the failures... I don't think a petal falling off is a failure as it becomes a small projectile too. I have seen a few petals coming off if shots went into the spine. Still very dead critters. I would think this would be more common on the E-tip as it is made of a more brittle material than barnes.

WOODY
CSSA NFAMember
Old 11-19-2009, 05:30 PM
sheephunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_W View Post
ot to Hi-jack the thread but I have read about the x bullet failures from broken petals to not even opening]
A TSX would have to be going pretty slow not to open. They are speed sensitive but tales of pencil sized holes in game shot at close range are total bunk. The faster they are going, the faster they open. The only one I've recovered was a ten yard shot on a kudu from a .338. The first one from 406 yards was a pass through.
Old 11-19-2009, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheephunter View Post
A TSX would have to be going pretty slow not to open. They are speed sensitive but tales of pencil sized holes in game shot at close range are total bunk.
Not true at all. Notice my picture above. I also had a friend have the same thing happen with a 168gr TSX going plenty fast. I'll try and dig up that photo.

-Billy Molls
Old 11-19-2009, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoppaW View Post
I would think this would be more common on the E-tip as it is made of a more brittle material than barnes.
Is this true? I don't actually know I guess I figured that it was more plyable and less brittle.

Google here I come
Old 11-19-2009, 08:10 PM

Well I'am sick of looking anymore from what i've read it seems that giliding metal is more brittle than pure copper....good to know!! im still liking my e tips though!!!
Old 11-19-2009, 09:00 PM

Ever seen a piece of straw stuck in a tree after a tornado.....well I haven't, but it has happened. Depends how fast, what it hits, how much it goes through, etc. If a bullet hits soft tissue there could be very little deformation even at high speeds. There are too many variables at play to categorize it as one or the other, the rest we'll let the crows cah about.