Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 07-04-2016, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by qwert View Post
https://humorinamerica.files.wordpre...-the-enemy.jpg

Hegelian dialectic: a thesis, giving rise to its reaction, and antithesis, = problem, reaction, solution.
Rahm Emanual, said "never let a crisis go to waste".
Form an objective, then create a crisis that facilitates it.
Democracy's problem is that it fails to recognize the existential threat from those who would control and eliminate it.

Henry VIII banned golf because it used land needed for archery training.

IMHO, until the general population recognizes that a properly trained and armed citizenry is the best defense against tyranny, and Democide,
there will be no public will to support and facilitate that citizenry's training or armament.
What is happening today is that the agents of tyranny are using false propaganda to cultivate the general population's fear of its self,
and distracting us from the real existential threat.

Good Luck and God save us all.
You would find many like minded people in Michigan.
Old 07-04-2016, 04:35 PM

Henry VIII banned golf because it used land needed for archery training

I'm with Henry on this one.

Grizz
Old 07-04-2016, 08:51 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okotokian View Post

I was out fishing Three Point Creek at North Fork yesterday. Saw the signs. Still heard shooting that sounded like it wasn't more than a few hundred yards away.
It was me... And sound can be deceiving when it's bouncing off hillsides.

And I was about 800m away from McLean Creek Trail...
Old 07-04-2016, 11:59 PM

Quote:

Hegelian dialectic: a thesis, giving rise to its reaction, and antithesis, = problem, reaction, solution.
Democracy's problem is that it fails to recognize the existential threat from those who would control and eliminate it.

IMHO, until the general population recognizes that a properly trained and armed citizenry is the best defense against tyranny, and Democide,
there will be no public will to support and facilitate that citizenry's training or armament.
What is happening today is that the agents of tyranny are using false propaganda to cultivate the general population's fear of its self,

Those must be the buggers that planted all that garbage there!!! I knew it!! Now we just need to inform the public that its the agents of tyranny that are ruining these public places and not ignorant gun owners and get this whole mess sorted out. In the meantime if I see any agents of tyranny dumping empty shell casings on the ground or tossing used targets and shot up pieces of particle board into otherwise pristine gravel pits I'll let you know.
Old 07-05-2016, 06:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by denied access View Post
Maybe to some people 300 is a lot of money

Crown Land. Their not protecting it for you, their protecting it from you.
I have no time for people that won't pick up their own garbage or think nothing of shooting up a washing machine, etc, that someone else left on crown land .
My kid brother used to live 20km outside of town on a popular road that was used for dumping . People would throw stuff right in the approach to his cabinand shoot in an adjacent meadow when he first moved there.
Burned out cars about 100 yards down ,shots were fired on a regular basis in the direction of his cabin .

"Protecting from you?" You bet !
Camping on crown does not give one the right to shoot up the countryside in any random direction and dump anything in the meantime .
It is frustrating that we are losing areas like that but we have no one to blame but ourselves collectively ......
Cat

Last edited by catnthehat; 07-05-2016 at 07:51 AM.
Old 07-05-2016, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushrat View Post
I think your not understanding my reply. I was telling the poster I was quoting the exact same thing your trying to tell me. I am a member of a range and former range executive, I still volunteer regularly. I have been involved in ranges for many decades.
Sorry.

I miss-quoted the post. It was meant for a diff posting where they weren't willing to pay 300$
Old 07-05-2016, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushleague View Post
The dog walkers and mountain bikers are not causing any major, visible damage. Shooters and OHV users do, that's why restrictions generally go the way they do. Somebody used the phrase "Protecting crown land from us" its unfortunate but that is what it has come down to. As much as the people causing the damage are the problem, so are people who will blindly defend them or refuse to admit that we have a large scale problem. When we do that we are all lumped together. I wont do that, there is a problem and they are taking steps to fix it, if we wanted to avoid this situation we should have been more proactive in the past... only thing we can do at this point is learn from our mistake.
I don't know about that. There is plenty of litter and dog crap left behind by people on foot, too.

Why do we shut an area down because a few cause problems? I don't remember when they shut down highway 63 when a few were misusing it, and causing wrecks.

And it's not "shooters and OHV users". It's idiots who use an area to dump fridges. I would even say, that there is some stuff that is dumped by non-shooters. And then a shooter comes, and shoots at it, just because it was dumped there. Maybe not the ideal response, but there it is. I know I don't pack out others garbage every time I'm out either.

And when was it that LE enforced illegal dumping, littering and unsafe shooting in the area? Makes more sense to address the ones causing the problem than shutting an area down.

Survivor of the dread covid
Pureblood!
Old 07-05-2016, 06:20 PM

My question is, what does this do for hunting out there? Does it mean target shooting/recreational shooting? Or does it encompass hunting as well?
Old 07-05-2016, 09:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucky_magic_stick View Post
My question is, what does this do for hunting out there? Does it mean target shooting/recreational shooting? Or does it encompass hunting as well?
My guess is it will be like some natural areas where you get a discharge permit. You are allowed to hunt but not target shoot.
Old 07-06-2016, 08:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bergerboy View Post
My guess is it will be like some natural areas where you get a discharge permit. You are allowed to hunt but not target shoot.
As a specific land use areas, it's likely no firearms can be discharged within 1km of the road at all times of the year.

I'd need to double confirm, but I think this has always been a rule out there. They are just strongly enforcing it now.
Old 07-21-2016, 07:29 AM

A good back pack, and fire-arm in hand too go for a walk scooting for tracks of all kinds in the off season, one might even pack along the fishing rod too.

Find that shoot spot off the beat'en path away from humans and enjoy sighting in the smoke pole with a nice hil as a back drop.

Pack-up what you brought in and pre-scoot the hunting area for the season coming up.

The walk does me good, a chance to clear walking path.
Time to find tree stand spots.
Less humans off grid.
Packing the weight is a work out.
Going to new areas on a few bucks of gas is worth the effort.
Take the weather for what it is.

Been off grid for 40 + years, and I ain't had no issues since most don't come back here into the swamp land hills that are hard to get too.

Pick the area where humans don't normally go works for me.

Pal Don at spending time out side.
Old 07-21-2016, 11:27 AM
Gone Hunting

A place to shoot is probably the greatest problem facing shooters today and is likely a bigger threat to gun owners than government regulations are.
Old 07-21-2016, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucky_magic_stick View Post
http://aep.alberta.ca/recreation-pub...icle-pluz.aspx

"Firearm Use Restrictions
Within the 1 km No Camping/No Open Fires zone, there is to be no firearm discharge, except for lawfully authorized hunting purposes."

So, legal hunting does not fall under "recreational shooting." I have 3 draws in zone 406, two of which I will be almost certainly be hunting in the PLUZ at some point this season.
Old 07-21-2016, 07:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quinn View Post
As a specific land use areas, it's likely no firearms can be discharged within 1km of the road at all times of the year.

I'd need to double confirm, but I think this has always been a rule out there. They are just strongly enforcing it now.
The signs say no target shooting, hunting is not target shooting. I hunt grouse out there still with my shotgun.
Old 02-21-2021, 02:08 PM

Quote:

I know this is an old thread but I'd like to say that I am starting to feel that you are right in most if not all of your accessment. Someone said the government is protecting crown land from us, well who's going to protect us from the crown? Too many people each with their own support (or disregard) of different laws; there's no place left ti have a relaxing pee.
Old 02-21-2021, 02:45 PM

I have hunted in the Bragg Creek area my whole life, most of it around moose mountain, I Remeber many years ago you could camp out and never hear a gun shot, and rarely see ppl, now there is hikers, mountain bikers, ppl on horse, even if I go 3 km off trail, I will sometimes bump into a random person. 1km from roads, trails has been there Along time for discharging a firearm or bow, and makes sence honestly. Things happen as soon as you pull that trigger or release that arrow, a person can pop there head up come around a tree etc, and there is alot more ppl In That 1 km area. And ppl get out there car and hear a guy blasting away they get back in there car leave probably talk about how un safe the area is, story is repeated by friends, eventually to many story's and areas get shut down. We want areas to stay open we as a community have to act in a way that does not make the majority of ppl feel unsafe, and yes a gunshot makes alot ppl feel unsafe, let alone the junk that's left behind, no one wants to go out on the family weekend hike and enter a clearing and see empty cases everywhere and shot up stuff. Ah well here I go rambling. But we have Remeber we are a minority, and sometimes we have to just go above and beyond to act responsible and show a good front for our sport to make others more accepting, and we need all the support we can get. And honestly. Walking a km or two to find a nice spot to shoot a few rounds should be part of the fun, mag dumping 200 rounds and disturbing every hiker around is just bad PR. Go to a friend's place on a farm and do that. We all have friends or make new friends, and yes I enjoy a fun day my self of a few Hundred rounds down range, I go my friends farm, naturally I clean my crap or I might not have a friends place to play at. Mmmmm ok now done. Lol.
Old 02-21-2021, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrcrossbow View Post
I have hunted in the Bragg Creek area my whole life, most of it around moose mountain, I Remeber many years ago you could camp out and never hear a gun shot, and rarely see ppl, now there is hikers, mountain bikers, ppl on horse, even if I go 3 km off trail, I will sometimes bump into a random person. 1km from roads, trails has been there Along time for discharging a firearm or bow, and makes sence honestly. Things happen as soon as you pull that trigger or release that arrow, a person can pop there head up come around a tree etc, and there is alot more ppl In That 1 km area. And ppl get out there car and hear a guy blasting away they get back in there car leave probably talk about how un safe the area is, story is repeated by friends, eventually to many story's and areas get shut down. We want areas to stay open we as a community have to act in a way that does not make the majority of ppl feel unsafe, and yes a gunshot makes alot ppl feel unsafe, let alone the junk that's left behind, no one wants to go out on the family weekend hike and enter a clearing and see empty cases everywhere and shot up stuff. Ah well here I go rambling. But we have Remeber we are a minority, and sometimes we have to just go above and beyond to act responsible and show a good front for our sport to make others more accepting, and we need all the support we can get. And honestly. Walking a km or two to find a nice spot to shoot a few rounds should be part of the fun, mag dumping 200 rounds and disturbing every hiker around is just bad PR. Go to a friend's place on a farm and do that. We all have friends or make new friends, and yes I enjoy a fun day my self of a few Hundred rounds down range, I go my friends farm, naturally I clean my crap or I might not have a friends place to play at. Mmmmm ok now done. Lol.
That sums some of it up just fine, walk a mile and be wise.
What I don't like is when the 'shooters' are scaring the game into a frenzy during hunting season.
Old 02-21-2021, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrcrossbow View Post
I grew up in Bragg Creek. I shot my first deer out there just west of the forest reserve. As kids we hiked and snowshoed and skied a lot of the trails that are cleared and gravelled today. Back then they were game trails. Back then it was still Lyon's Mountain and not Wintergreen.

You could ride your bike down the road with your .22 over your shoulder and people would wave as they drove by or even stop and ask you to head out to their field instead of calling the cops.

So much has changed.

There were still people who dumped fridges and couches. Some people cut fences and trespassed. But those were stories told at the community center (when it wasn't burning down).

People haven't changed, there are just far more of us today.

Colin

T0L 0K0
Old 02-22-2021, 08:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinkering View Post
That sums some of it up just fine, walk a mile and be wise.
What I don't like is when the 'shooters' are scaring the game into a frenzy during hunting season.
Gunfire does not scare animals into a frenzy, during hunting season or any other time of the year.
We have had deer come right down to the river 100 yards from us when we were shooting targets, and I have been on several ranges when a cease fire had to be called during a match because animals decided to cross the range.
Cat
Old 02-22-2021, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnthehat View Post
Gunfire does not scare animals into a frenzy, during hunting season or any other time of the year.
We have had deer come right down to the river 100 yards from us when we were shooting targets, and I have been on several ranges when a cease fire had to be called during a match because animals decided to cross the range.
Cat
I've seen this too. Gunshots don't freak out animals. Unless they can connect the shot with a hunter trying to kill them, which is extremely rare, it just doesn't compute. I don't know how many times I've dropped a deer in a herd to have the other deer stick around and even walk in my direction.
Old 02-22-2021, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Simply doesn't happen. Activity will cause them to move off to a location they feel secure at (might be only a couple hundred yards away, or 1/2 a mile) but simply hearing gunfire won't move them around.
Old 02-22-2021, 09:29 PM

Beg to differ. I've seen animals run from one end of the horizon to the other, full bore without stopping. Sure sometimes they stick around.
Old 02-22-2021, 10:11 PM

Our range acts as a wildlife refuge. I've got photos of grizzly bear around the range, a cougar wintering under the storage shed, and lots of elk & deer about. No member would dare harass them, or the range would be shut down! Designated Wildlife Corridors that are closed to human use, and surround our range are continually compromised by dog walkers, mountain bikers and others.
But nobody trespasses on land marked GUN RANGE.

The animals soon learn that, and take advantage of the refuge. Gun fire doesn't disturb them.
Old 02-22-2021, 10:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnthehat View Post
Cat
Back when sibald range was still open I was there in the early morning shooting, when a cow moose walked up within 20 yards behind me and started eating in the bush. She didn't care one bit. She only left when more people showed up.
Old 02-22-2021, 11:53 PM

My point wasn't aimed at shooting ranges. I don't have an issue with shooting ranges, or crownland shooting. I'm one of the guys out there doing it. Sure some animals get habituated in some locations or areas. I lived and worked for 20 years in remote locations. Bears sticking their heads in the kitchen window when you're frying bacon kind of things weren't uncommon. I've disharged firearms to scare them away from the cabin. It works, no doubt about it. They might come back later but it gets em movin and fast.
When deer, bear, fox, marmot, raven, etc.etc. are not habituated, a gunshot will likely get them scrambling.
The question asked might be, "Are you hunting or shooting?" A hunter might be working hard for hours trying to close the distance on a wild animal. The last thing he wants is someone to come along shooting like a nut. I thought all hunters would understand that.
I like what the guy said previously, "There's just too many of us out there now."
Old 02-23-2021, 12:41 AM

Lots of guys aren't into shooting as a sport. But they want to do the ethical thing, and make sure that their rifle is accurate before every hunting season.

They shouldn't have to pay, and jump through hoops to belong to a range just to do the right thing and shoot a couple of rounds every fall.

Or they've just purchased a new rifle/scope and just want to 'sight it in'.

What do you suggest they do?
Old 02-23-2021, 12:53 AM

That's me.
I go out to crown land and shoot to sight in my rifle/s. Go for it. Thank goodness we still have the freedom to do it!
Old 02-23-2021, 06:59 AM

Regardless of how responsible some people are, they will always be others that leave a mess behind them, and that will usually be the driving force to get areas closed to target shooting.
Old 02-23-2021, 07:00 AM

Thumper. Go out were you'd normally hunt set up a target shoot your sight in shots. Clean up brass n target. Can also drive around and ask a farmer or twenty if you can sight in on his land. Some ranges let members bring a friend, go with a friend for a day at range for sight in, I'm sure most friends will be ok with that. Go to Mclean Creek and walk that 1km off road and do sight in.
All I have for ideas, wish was more.
Old 02-23-2021, 07:13 AM

[QUOTE] My point wasn't aimed at shooting ranges. I don't have an issue with shooting ranges, or crownland shooting. I'm one of the guys out there doing it. Sure some animals get habituated in some locations or areas. I lived and worked for 20 years in remote locations. Bears sticking their heads in the kitchen window when you're frying bacon kind of things weren't uncommon. I've disharged firearms to scare them away from the cabin. It works, no doubt about it. They might come back later but it gets em movin and fast.
When deer, bear, fox, marmot, raven, etc.etc. are not habituated, a gunshot will likely get them scrambling.
The question asked might be, "Are you hunting or shooting?" A hunter might be working hard for hours trying to close the distance on a wild animal. The last thing he wants is someone to come along shooting like a nut. I thought all hunters would understand that.
I like what the guy said previously, "There's just too many of us out there now."[QUOTE]

Quote:
That's me.
I go out to crown land and shoot to sight in my rifle/s. Go for it. Thank goodness we still have the freedom to do it!
I don't get your posts at all, you complain about gunfire scaring animals and target shooters messing up a hunter's stalk,
( which it clear does not except for maybe an example like the Suffield cull)
The you state that you go out to Crown land to shoot your rifles! What point exactly are you trying to make?
Cat

Tags
mclean creek, no shooting, shut down.